Alternative filtration techniques - *UPDATED*

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Cucumber

Dr Cucumber
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2004 - 10:33 PM

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with a derivative of the common algae scrubber, which you no doubt have some knowledge of. The unit is slightly different in that it uses common semi-aquatic 'bog plants' instead of algae to strip nutrients. The bog plants are growing in a coral rubble media that is over flown by a constant supply of water. Currently, the unit, which consists of a plastic, shallow sided hydroponics box, is fed with a supply of water from a large cannister filter which sits on the floor. Water is pumped through the cannister filter up to the top of the tank where it is transferred to end of the hydroponics tray. The water then passes through the roots of the plants thereafter emerging through an outlet at the front of the system. The tray containing the bog plants is lit 24h hours a day with a 2ft grow lux tube which sits approx. 10 cm above the plants themselves (ever decreasing as the plants grow).

So far (4 months) the experiment is proving successful; the plants are growing out of control (and flowering) and the nitrate level in the tank has remained constant in the complete absence of water changes (I have not changed the water for around three months).

The fish are flourishing; I have never seen such healthy tropheus, nor have I experienced a more placid breeding colony. Further, the system in my opinion is particularly effective, as it allows you to remove the nutrient from the system by simply cutting trimmings from the plants. Nitrate taken up by the plants is thus eliminated from your aquarium (Anyone with a more rigid background in the biochem of photsynthesis could elaborate I'm sure). Unless, you strip algae froma scrubber, Nitrate remains in the system.

Anyway, I recommend you give this a try as it seems to work nicely. I purchased common bog plants from water garden world in Karinnyup, N of the river. Very helpful staff. Actually I am supposed to be giving a talk on this at PCS - A bit busy at this stage though. Yes, I had time to write this, but procratination got the better of me....

Happy fish ogling.......freaks!!!!

Edited by: Dr Cucumber at: 1/27/04 5:10 pm

#2 mrseby

mrseby
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2004 - 10:49 PM

Welcome aboard DR

Love the handle im sure u make a mean salad lol

Enjoy the forum :good

#3 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

Hello Dr Cuc,

Sounds a nice system, very similar to what has been used in ponds with great success. Does it gravity feed from the hydroponic tray back into the main tank?

Aquatic/bog plants have a number of advantages over algea, they stay put so don't contaminate your main system and gain there carbon source from CO2 in the air (which endlessly renews itself).

Is there any advantage to lighting it 24 hours a day, I am not sure it makes your plants grow faster and uses more power.

Any chance of a picture to look at.

Cheers
Brett

#4 Dr Cucumber

Dr Cucumber
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

Hi there Brett,

No, you are most likely right - there probably is no advantage in lighting the system 24/7. Algae technicians (in aquaculture) may attest to employing this strategy, but I think, through experience, this is changing. I spoke with an experienced algae technician who no longer grows diatoms (a common microalgae used in aquaculture) under 24 hour light after the initial growth period. Once the culture is established, the light cycle is cut back to something like 16 hours on / 8 hours off.

I have also been turning my light (the one on the bog plant system) off from time to time.

Yes, the water gravity feeds back to the tank.

There was another benefit in using the bog plant system that I forgot to mention. Many insects, including there aquatic larvae, are attracted to the system; most likely because of the light. Many of these are washed into the tank to provide a tasty, and nutritious, meal for the waiting fish.

However, be warned, that I do not recommend that you let insects fall into a tropheus tank....although, I seem to have no problems with mine. I think the occasional insect or crustacean is actually very beneficial to the health of tropheus and other algae turf grazers.

I am afraid I do not have any photos. I dont have a digital camera unfortunately.

cheers,

Cuc....

#5 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:44 AM

Hey i have done a fair bit of research on this filteration system my self and find your information very interesting to read Dr Cuc thanks alot for the input it does make a huge difference.

What Dr Cuc is talking about can be seen here

This info is from Aquaria.com.au

Quote:
This unit can have the same application as the Tunze Hydro Reaktors 200 and 400, that is there is an area for terrestrial plant growth (see the text below).
However, for those systems without the benefits of suspended lighting the Tunze Bio-Reaktor is designed to acheive the same result but biologically not strictly via absorption by plants. The picture displays the two options, with or without plants.

Not surprisingly hobbyists believe that when a filter is placed on to an aquarium that the water is balanced. This is not entirely true. While a good power filter can be relied upon for a FOUNDATION of good water quality it can also be relied upon to produce nutrient. This is not a new revelation...fish eat...they produce ammonia...the filter bed colonises bacteria...the bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate...and of course nitrate is one of the least desireable nutrients.

Tunze has innovated filtration which harnesses the nutrient consuming properties of terrestrial plants in addition to the nutrient producing bacteria themselves. The two- bacteria and terrestrial plants- work in tandem. The plants, cultivated without soil, grow extremely well because the bacterially decomposed roughage can be absrobed directly and in concentrated form by the roots.

Edited by: me  at: 1/27/04 9:48 pm

#6 Dr Cucumber

Dr Cucumber
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2004 - 07:16 PM

Yes, I can think off all kind of applications for this technique! It also looks quite attractive sitting on top of the aquarium. I would like to employ the system on a much larger scale one day. For example, a self watering herb garden on top of an 8 by 2 by 2 foot aq. housing a large colony of red rainbow tropheus....my dream. I think you could see amazing results with such a set up, particularly if employing metal halide lighting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users