Photo

Tim's Tankzilla Two-tier

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

Nice one Tim, I'm sure you will not regret going large.
My big tank is the easiest to look after as it is very stable.
I know how exciting it is when your big tanks are coming biggrin.gif
Everytime I saw mine at Morley I had that smile too!
Keep those updates coming please.

J

#22 nick05

nick05
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Jan 7 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks smile.gif
I had a look at the top tank today without the front panel and with backgrounds put in. Every time I see it I can't help but grin, haha laugh.gif

So far the list is:

Nimbochromis venustus - colony
Copadichromis borleyi "Kadango red" - colony
Placidochromis milomo VC-10 - colony
Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" - colony
Chilotilapia rhodesii - colony
Megalechis thoracatum "Spotted Hoplo" - single
Ancistrus sp. - 2 breeding pairs

I'm open to suggestions too! biggrin.gif The C rhodesii will be the most aggressive so I don't want to add any other aggressive species. I'm looking for fish that grow to about the same size as the others and complement the colours.

Oh man that list is awesome, you have great taste in fish! smile.gif

Can I ask about your VC-10's, how big is your colony, ratio? size?
Was it hard getting them?

Nick.

#23 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Nick smile.gif
The VC-10 colony is only small, 6 fish. Judging from size there is one male and 5 females. The male is about 7-8cm.
Getting them wasn't hard, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time smile.gif
I'm hoping that once they are in the big tank they will grow a bit faster and hopefully start breeding. I haven't seen any around at all for at least a year, would be good to put some back on the market as they are a nice fish.

#24 nick05

nick05
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

They are very nice I picked up a female that is 15cm 2 days ago.
Vent out dying to breed, I'm just afraid I'm going to struggle to find a male that someone is willing to part with that is big enough :'(

The more I read on them the more I appreciate them.

Nick

#25 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

Update today, 11/1!!

(see original post)

#26 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Looks really good Tim. I am so excited for you!

#27 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Alize smile.gif
I was able to sleep last night, despite looking forward to today! Still a lot to do before they are fully set up, but I am fighting the urge to rush and just take my time, however long it takes. "Do it properly, do it properly" is my mantra right now smile.gif

#28 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Tim, got the fittings/flanges ready with the covers for the bottom one waiting for you at the shop - the top covers will be ready end of the week. (I'll be back in Wednesday onwards)

Looks damn bigger now on the stand - When Bonds dropped off the trolley jack and suction cups, they told me how high it was..... glad it was them and not me lifting it up there laugh.gif

The bottom tank can be filled already (there will be no leaks mate - I'm just too good.... tongue.gif ) TOp one will be best left for two weeks to ensure the straps are fully cured, which were only put on a couple of days ago.

Enjoy.... Keep posting up more pics.

#29 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

I've heard of people that luv fish and their tanks but this is going too far. "Come, give me a hug!" Rofl_3f.gif

#30 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

Daz: You'll be giving your shed a big hug too once it's done, I'm sure!!

Docfish: all considered the move went really smooth I thought. They used the scissor lift to bring it up as high as possible from the side, and then using the suction cups 4 guys lifted one end on the stand and pushed it up, then the other end was lifted to height and the tank pushed on and into place.

I'll be filling the bottom tank up tomorrow morning smile.gif

#31 ozjayok

ozjayok
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

nice mate, go the big tanks! i also like your background.

#32 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:57 AM

Looking good so far Tim, I'd be hugging it too lol.
I'm sure your fish will love it just as much.

Cant wait to see it all finished smile.gif

#33 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Vuherry nice.
Do you know what this means.....???

It means I am not the only crazy 8ftr owner around laugh.gif

So lighting....what are your plans?

Knowing what I know now I think 4mtrs of the new high power led ribbon of a cool (blue white) colour and 4mtrs of warm white coloured led high power ribbon. This is 8000(ish) lumens and would light up the tank very nicely.

Are you putting gravel in....coz it looks like it will be really tough to gravel vac.....?

My Leds run on 20W to light up my 1400L so they are more efficient than ribbons but heaps more expensive, unfortunately.

Enjoying the tinkering I am sure!

J

#34 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Thanks J smile.gif
Can you give me some link about those LED ribbons you mentioned?
I am using oversized lime sand as substrate, about 2inches. I currently have two other tanks with lime sand and crushed coral, and they do not need vacuuming. There is usually a bit of detritus on the surface of the sand, but not at a level that would concern me.

The bottom tank is a breeding setup, so lighting isn't really that important, I will just use my old lights for it. The top tank is a breeding/display setup so that will have to look nice.

I have just started preparing the bottom tank for the fish transfer, it had sand and water in it for two days now and the water is clear enough. I'm waiting for the water to reach proper temp and then I'll transfer the fish over. I tested pH and the new tank is around 8, the old tank is about 7.8 so close enough.

Making sure no snails are transferred over is gonna be a challenge, and means I have to wash all rocks and filter media thoroughly.
I wouldn't be surprised if I get a few spawnings after the move, it usually happens smile.gif

#35 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Jan 16 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Making sure no snails are transferred over is gonna be a challenge, and means I have to wash all rocks and filter media thoroughly.

you can dip the rocks in peroxide before transferring it over... but the filter material is impossible unless you can run an anti-cholinesterase compound (insecticide like trichlorphon) or copper sulphate though it for a few hours before transferring it over (ie run the filter on a bucket of tank water with a snail killing chemical at a high dose, then rinse the material before using it on the new tank).....the copper is prob the safest to use as it will not stay in solution at that hardness and pH level, so residual levels wont be a problem.

#36 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the advice, though I have already transferred the rocks and media.
I cleaned the rocks under running water first, then I poured boiling water on those that have crevices and examined as closely as possible.
The filter media was cleaned under running water (apart from bio media which I cleaned in tank water) and inspected for snails.
I will keep an eye out for snails in the new tank, fingers crossed.

I also took some photos of my multies before moving them to the new home, they have increased in number quite significantly since I first started keeping them!

#37 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

nice multie pics tim.
are they going into an 8fter by themselves?
or into somewhere else.

cheers,
phil

#38 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

They have one third of the bottom 8ft tank for themselves. They got a bit crowded in the other one, this one has around 3 times the floor space for them I think smile.gif They are loving it so far, being very active!

#39 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hey Tim,
Tanks looking good and the stand is really nice. Nice Works! By the way, are you gonna put some big rocks in the top tanks?
It's a pretty high tank so might be a bit of a challenge.

#40 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

Hi

Here's some LED Ribbons info for you Tim.

Link here for colour temp adjustable ribbon:

Cutter Electronics

I would give Cutter a call but being able to tune a yellower or bluer light colour would let you find the best colour temp for you fish to look their best !! Niiiice!

Also heaps of nice install options here too Superlight and they sell the aluminium channel or clear plastic sleeves too.

They are doing these also: I'd give this a shot, just ask for a dimmable driver in case it's too bright.
May be you could get like 2.3 mtrs in warm white and 2.3mtrs in cool white and a separate say 8 level dimmable driver for each so you can control the white colour temp, hmmmmmm.

Oh yeah, to light my 2.5mtr tank well i'm only using setting 3 out of eight and using 24watts. I've measured what is coming out of the switchmode power supply while i'm running my usual draw (1.9A, 12.6V).
They are just amazing and you are certainly welcome to call in for a closer look if you like.
You will see why I rate the led solutions highly coz mine will pay itself off a lot faster than I expected.

Anyway good luck

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users