Uber Kewl

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

Anyone else interested in the news surrounding Uber VS Taxis in Perth?

Good old Mr Barnett cracks me up, such a tool

Anyway, I noticed that the Uber VS Taxis is happening overseas too

Check it out: http://www.theaustra...f-1227435331130

Taxi driver associations from Latin America and Europe have teamed up in their campaigns against Uber and Cabify, following sometimes violent protests over the ride-booking apps.

#2 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:36 AM

uber is all kewl till someone gets raped or murdered then what ?

at least taxis have cameras and are more accountable these days 

#3 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

I haven't caught a cab since Uber has come to Perth.

Cleaner, cheaper and just a better general service. I won't go back to a standard cab while Uber is around.

Standard cabs are generally run down, stink and the driver is generally on his or her phone the entire ride. I have pretty thick skin, but I've had some pretty rude cabbies too. Had a couple instances where the cabbies were quite rude and disgusting to females that I was with.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:32 AM

And yet all the times I have caught a cab, I've never had a problem.

I feel sorry for taxi drivers. They pay the government all these fees, undergo training, and get compliance checks from government, but Uber aren't subject to any of that

I might go work for Uber

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

The two distinct incidents with females was enough for me - the last thing I need is to lose it on a cabbie and end up locked up. Easier to remove yourself from the situation.

It is a poor service and that is why many are turning to Uber.

#6 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

All it needs is a serious injury in a crash with an Uber vehicle without appropriate insurance and let's see what happens from there!

My sympathy will go out to the injured passengers who may not be able to claim anything if the driver/vehicle is not properly insured for business/commercial use and doesn't have sufficient assests for sueing him/her to be worthwhile.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

The two distinct incidents with females was enough for me - the last thing I need is to lose it on a cabbie and end up locked up. Easier to remove yourself from the situation.

It is a poor service and that is why many are turning to Uber.

a lot of female passengers have complained about certain cab drivers... biggest reason is their religion treats women as second grade citizens....

• Fox likes this

#8 discofrank

discofrank
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

Uber is great

so much cheaper than a taxi

the biggest issue i have with cabs is the costings! and the wait times!

ohh your catching a cab at night  give me  another $5...

ohh its a public holiday and at night $10+

umm this is the job they take to provide this service at these times

hell uber even picked me and the gf up from a street corner the other week! no cab will do that

the trip to and from the city cost less than a trip 1 way with a cab

i do feel for the cabbies ut the taxi board and govt have screwed them

#9 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Spruik much, guys?

You talk about extra charges? The minimum charge for an Uber is higher than a cab, and taxis do not have surge pricing. Sure, there is a three buck charge after midnight Friday and Saturday in a taxi. That's not unreasonable, and a pittance, really. In place of this Uber have what's called "surge pricing".

At about the same time as you pay an extra couple of bucks in a cab, Uber  charges 1.5 times, 2.4x, 5x,  right up to 7 times the normal fare, depending on  how busy it is, who is manipulating their system, and the price of eggs in China.  An uber out to the far burbs can easily cost $300. And has. Aside a couple of bucks, the taxi price is reliably the same. Uber's pretty sneaky, though.

So really, it's true to say an Uber is sometimes cheaper than a cab, and sometimes it will cost much, much more. Also being a completely illegal service, you have no recourse if anything at all should go wrong.

The "wait times" I also call bull on. You can go stand on a corner on a Friday or Saturday night in Northbridge and see a sea of taxis from which you can choose. Then you will see a bunch of hipsters standing around ignoring those while tracking their Uber car's approach on their smartphone so they can be one of the cool kids.

Then they get into a froth and find a forum to gush on. Ohh. It's so convenient! Ohh it's so cheap and clean! They drive you in a car! It has four wheels and everything! And the drivers are so polite, just like they are in Bali ! Ooh it only costs two dollars to get to Sorrento and I get a free martini and a handjob!... Please.

Spare me the crap about how a taxi will never pick someone up from a street corner. They do that about five thousand times a night in Perth.

We all want to pay less for everything all the time, but remember that you are now sending your money out of the loop to Google and Morgan Stanley and some guy that doesn't pay tax either and probably is working here illegally on a tourist visa. Long term this will come round and bite you too.

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

I have found it cheaper, cleaner and friendlier. There for I think the service is superior. This is why I use the service over the Taxi service. 

It is not always about being cheaper either. I often use a SCV service. Which in reality probably is 5-7x more expensive than a Taxi. Regardless I pay it because I earn enough money to do so and sometimes I feel it appropriate for an even better service. Mainly a nice night out with the mrs or going to the airport.

It really is that simple.

#11 discofrank

discofrank
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Spruik much, guys?

You talk about extra charges? The minimum charge for an Uber is higher than a cab, and taxis do not have surge pricing. Sure, there is a three buck charge after midnight Friday and Saturday in a taxi. That's not unreasonable, and a pittance, really. In place of this Uber have what's called "surge pricing".

At about the same time as you pay an extra couple of bucks in a cab, Uber  charges 1.5 times, 2.4x, 5x,  right up to 7 times the normal fare, depending on  how busy it is, who is manipulating their system, and the price of eggs in China.  An uber out to the far burbs can easily cost $300. And has. Aside a couple of bucks, the taxi price is reliably the same. Uber's pretty sneaky, though.

So really, it's true to say an Uber is sometimes cheaper than a cab, and sometimes it will cost much, much more. Also being a completely illegal service, you have no recourse if anything at all should go wrong.

The "wait times" I also call bull on. You can go stand on a corner on a Friday or Saturday night in Northbridge and see a sea of taxis from which you can choose. Then you will see a bunch of hipsters standing around ignoring those while tracking their Uber car's approach on their smartphone so they can be one of the cool kids.

Then they get into a froth and find a forum to gush on. Ohh. It's so convenient! Ohh it's so cheap and clean! They drive you in a car! It has four wheels and everything! And the drivers are so polite, just like they are in Bali ! Ooh it only costs two dollars to get to Sorrento and I get a free martini and a handjob!... Please.

Spare me the crap about how a taxi will never pick someone up from a street corner. They do that about five thousand times a night in Perth.

We all want to pay less for everything all the time, but remember that you are now sending your money out of the loop to Google and Morgan Stanley and some guy that doesn't pay tax either and probably is working here illegally on a tourist visa. Long term this will come round and bite you too.

well uber does have the fare estimate.... afaik no cab company does this

"Spare me the crap about how a taxi will never pick someone up from a street corner. They do that about five thousand times a night in Perth"

not when i last caught a cab... many taxis would drive past empty towards the taxi ranks and thats with me waving $100 bills at them!

and something i have heard from the drivers themselves and others,  as well as the call centre when you call up, you need an actual physical adress

ie a house 

my trips where from lesmurdie ( alot of ppl call that the country! ) to south perth , both times with uber $40 give or take a few $$ and thats was at night on a sat ( both ways ) last time a grabed a cab from town to same address was close on $70!

the number of times cabbies have refused to take me to lesmurdie from town "ITS TOO FAR!!!" i have heard hundreds of times

they only want to do short trips ( make more $$ due to flagfall and less kms ), not what the customer needs

uber is here to stay regardless if is illegal or not ( how many ppl here use illeagal services on a weekly basis? )

and they will be legal eventually

#12 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

I never heard of Uber before... Thats what happens when you rely on a Fishkeping Forum for your News and Current Affairs I guess.

Whatever the legality, competition is good... Make it legal and get on with it. Taxi industry needs a shake up.

Before the Taxi industry gets too upset they could probably have a look at themselves:

- Drug abuse

- Molesting passengers

- Essentially refusing to make pick ups.

- Peak Hour availability

- Taxi's turning up way late or way early for bookings.

- Legality of operators

- Knowledge of operators

- Safety of busted arse 10+ year old Falcons rattling around.

As for the religious aspect... We all know the most populous muslim country on earth, right? Indonesia... Isnt their former President a woman?

I have never heard of any religion formally offering an excuse for Goat Molesting, Violence or Kiddy fiddling (I think the Vatican is against Goat Molesting and Violence these days... Thats progress for you). Its not always about religion, some people are just F*#kheads on their own account.

#13 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:47 PM

and don't forget accidents they are involved in, just want to get from A to B in one piece, then BAM.

#14 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:56 AM

Ah, but don't forget that you know you are properly insured when jumping in taxi.

I will never use uber, ever. I enjoy my privacy, uber doesn't believe their customers should have any. They are worse than facebook IMO, and that's saying something.

#15 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

Privacy hey?

http://www.watoday.c...714-gibskr.html

#16 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

And in competition with Uber there is...

http://perth.craigsl...5125663632.html

LOL 

#17 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

Uuuummmmm Jim, do I ask how you came across that advertisement?

#18 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Used Uber on numerous occasions and was an infinity better experience than any traditional cab ride I've had.

On the 16th, after a night at the opera with the girlfriend, was down near the bell tower...No cabs in sight.

Order an Uber and 3 minutes later....Couldn't believe my eyes.. we were picked up in a immaculate, near new, fully optioned Audi A6, offered a bottle of Mount Franklin and dropped back home in Kensington for $11...

#19 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Opera? Rovik...... You've changed!

#20 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:59 PM

Yes he is a very reformed person now :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic