Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Anyone Seen Anything A Bit Different Lately?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

I finally found the easy way,,, things must have changed.
But with these pics,, I could go on all day,,, these are only a few of the infinite patterns and colors I'm turning on for the serious ray keeper......

Attached Files

#42 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Speechless as usual with Marks stock, seeming to get better and better, I may have to get another one in the near future...... :wub:  

Edited by Jules, 13 June 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#43 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Yeah most of those are still history pics but somehow in a safe part of my iPad,,, my iPhone got stolen 1.5 years ago with my whole lifetime of ray pics on it.....
My offspring batches have Definetely become better with consistent numbers of quality,, a lot of generational hybrid selective processing.
The gear I have now, I'll have to update with some better specimen pics and get them on here.

Thanks Jules. :)

#44 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Spectacular mate!

#45 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

5A0460FF-6479-4BEB-8D16-0296EBC62D7E_zps

This is the brother of the first ray that Buccal posted. Could morph into anything!

#46 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

Ive been trying to track down Gymnothorax polyuranodon for my oddball tank. So far, no leads. Any ideas?

Edited by malawiman85, 14 June 2016 - 10:35 PM.

#47 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:45 PM

If you find any let me know bro! Have wanted one of them for years.

#48 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:55 AM

Yeah those freshwater morays were pretty popular a few years ago,,, a big bunch got spreaded out in Sydney,,,, come from top end of WA apparently, some photos I saw were amazing,,, seems to me though by the pics at the time,, is that they get bloody big.
Contact the native fish guy, and he might have leads on those,,,,, he was the dude that use to get most of the mouth o mighty's and longtom and various other natives. (Liscenced collector).... He's into freshwater stingrays to, but weather its trade or personal I don't know.

#49 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

I hear there well over a K in price too.

#50 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

Theres 2 people over east on facebook who had juvies recently... Not too sure about where / who they came from though.

Edited by Leichardti, 15 June 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#51 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

I hear there well over a K in price too.

cant remember now how much,,, but it was Definetely up their,,, I posted east rays for sale and this dude sprung up trying to trade his moray for my ray,,, back when rays were worth their worth. :)

Theres 2 people over east on facebook who had juvies recently... Not too sure about where / who they came from though.

there are liscenced native fish collectors,,, I'm guessing these morays would be pretty abundant.

Edited by Buccal, 15 June 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#52 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

Ah heres a photo from a video back in May :) Screen%20Shot%202016-06-15%20at%203.52.0

Edited by Leichardti, 15 June 2016 - 03:54 PM.

#53 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

GAAAR!
Hey, wait a cotton pickin minute... Ronny M photography... would that be the Ronny of PCS fame?

#54 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

Gee that's a nice one,,, I saw pics similar, but not a bright yellow head like that,,, rather fancy native one would say...
Just a damn shame they've got big mouths and swallows everything hey.
But a correctly set up specie only tank would come up as a fancy piece,,,, they like to look and observe,,,, you could both sit and observe each other all day and every day hah ha ha.

And if it is Ronny, which really does look like it,,, it certainly looks fresh there with those plants obviously,, and then obviously Ronny is no novice.

Edited by Buccal, 15 June 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#55 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

Oooh yes it looks like it would be. Ronny M has Geos, Ronny on PCS has a Geo as his profile pic.  ^_^  Found his youtube too... I wonder if you can get a Polyuranodon sent over?

#56 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

They're actually fairly rare Buccal. Only found in 7 rivers from memory, but I think theres 1 person collecting.

Edited by Leichardti, 15 June 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#57 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

Yeah right ok,,, it would appear to me then, that it actually does sound like a specialty fresh water specie then,, but 7 rivers is pretty spread out and the populations could be dense, who knows,,,, is the species actually "classed" as rare ? Or is it just a statement ?.

I don't think there's ever really been more than one or two collectors going at once anyway.
A big collector Is a Pcs member I think,,,, by the name of native fish guy or man or something along the lines of,,, he's east.

1st time I wondered this,, I wonder if our natives are like in China or somewhere else and prized highly as rare over there.
I do feel a bit sick though, when I I've seen on occasions, seeing a kangaroo in America getting laughed at or joked about. Literally.

#58 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

We used to have these at Malaga Aquariums about 8 years ago. $450 they were going for. Nasty habit of trying to get into the intakes of filters, overflow, powerhead etc

I kept one for a bout 6 months, used to eat neons like a champion, rough time converting to much else, would eat earthworms and eventually some whitebait.

#59 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

Conservation status is "of least concern"
I think there are a couple of factors getting muddled.
1. The distribution of the species is limited as Lei states but;
2. It does appear quite abundent within its range.

Another interesting observation (for me at least) is a number of images of G. polyuranodon in some pretty amateur/budget/crappy setups. I wouldnt put a $1000 fish on smarty gravel. It leads me to think that (at some point at least) they were available at a reasonable price...

#60 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:19 AM

Thanks for concluding my questions mm. :).
Interesting you mentioned you noticed the cheap gravel and likely cheap at one stage,,, well I do remember vaguely that person over east ages ago saying that the popularity was instant and they went up in price fast. (So your observation possibly could be correct!). Then Peckoltia confirmed as well,, so looks like it.

We used to have these at Malaga Aquariums about 8 years ago. $450 they were going for. Nasty habit of trying to get into the intakes of filters, overflow, powerhead etc

I kept one for a bout 6 months, used to eat neons like a champion, rough time converting to much else, would eat earthworms and eventually some whitebait.

lol,, as our lovable eels do,,,, put that slippery slimy stuff into action with a bit of a wriggle to it,,,, lol.

Edited by Buccal, 16 June 2016 - 02:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users