Throwback Thursday

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:44 PM

Not sure if anyone wants to participate but it might be interesting for other people to see some old pics of fish that some of us used to keep. Some of which may still be around or disappeared from the hobby.

Conditions. You can only post 1 fish per person and only on a Thursday.

Fish can be Cichlid, Catfish, Rainbow/ whatever as long as you kept it and have a fish you took of it, regardless of how crap the camera is or film quality. This isn't a photo comp. ;)

I'll kick it off with this bloke.

picture_0134_zpstjc4hk7u.jpg

Used to be here in WA in the trade as Pseudotropheus elongatus "Mazimbwe" but more correctly referred to as Pseudotrophus elongatus Goldbar/ Likoma.

Taken on my 1.3mp Kodak digital camera back in the day :P

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

Nice photo! I'll hunt in the albums tonight (can't remember anything but need to find them first).

#3 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

Attached File  kasanga_panorama.jpg   45.37KB   13 downloads

#4 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

This was my first and only Lithobates ZR, the fish that started my love for cichlids :)

6f308547d97d6cb9b93c7560416e0072.jpg

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

I could go all day with this.

Leiarius marmoratus (longibarbis) - these used to be relatively common as far as TB's go. Used to be able to pick 'em up for a couple hundred bucks. Haven't seen any in many years. Great fish, max out around 60cm, so much more manageable than most big cats.

leiarius.jpg

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

Vebas still have theres?

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Not sure, I remember they had a big old snubbed nose one.

#8 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

Haven't seen anything like this for a very long time. I had more males than females, the occasional mouthful but never really took off.

Metriaclima Sp. 'zebra Gold Charo'
Daz039aMedium.jpg

Mattia, did you anything like this back home? Is the I.D correct?

#9 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

We had M. Zebra gold Charo but it had dark black stripes, it wasn't completely yellow.... Are you sure this was a Charo?

#10 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

I remember them in your tank Daz in Como. Amazing fish in the flesh and a real shame they didn't get established.

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

We had M. Zebra gold Charo but it had dark black stripes, it wasn't completely yellow.... Are you sure this was a Charo?

Not sure Mattia. Was the name given in Oz.

#12 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

I had some I bought from Vebas in the early 2000's, maybe 2005ish. I bred them and sold them to Aquotix cheap to get them out there. I remember selling Tony some and a majority of the others went East. I have an old photo of my breeders but that will be for another TBT. I'd love to see them again one day.

#13 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

Chris u forget to bump this up. A couple of hours left for Thursday so I'll do it!

Fish on the right. Past pet of mine. Once my house is built I'm thinking of setting up another marine predator tank
frogstonySmall.jpg

#14 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

The old barra :-(

IMG_2543_zps0b7a9ffe.jpg

#15 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

I know not Thursday

But this has to be one of the saddest losses to the hobby, they were so common for so long. Mine used to spawn flat out so they weren't hard to get going. Shame on us Australian hobbyists for this one - 

pike.jpg

Edited by Peckoltia, 25 June 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#16 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

There are many fish lost that saddens me, in fact I've lost two species all together in the past 3 weeks,,,,, because I'm having a real long break from breeding fish due to the entirety of Perth lacking interest and my main sales channels to the east closed also shut down because common shipping prices went from $130 to $380 burning out most of my profit.

It's all these little stories that seem like no big deal, or like someone having a winge,,, but these are realistic facts and reasoning for our depletion of cichlids.
Cost to generate these fish do not match up with what shops and people are willing to pay for.
In history many many members from here made me extremely furious with their insight to this hobby should be about passion and sharing,,, yes true, but turn your head from bussiness ethics and profit versus loss, the entire scene collapses.
I even become more furious when the people that ripped shreds from me on here about selling to shops only and pricing, when I was trying to improve stability of the cichlids future in oz and knowing what it takes,,,,,, LOL, these people that said it should be all about passion and I suck because I won't do this or that,,,, have actually bloody given up fish keeping and I'll always be going till I'm dead (but obviously I'll always adjust myself to suit the market so I'm not running at a loss to give everyone fish)

AFRAID TO SAY PEOPLE, TO LATE,,,, it's already happening, I've had many people now express their views that Perth is showing strong signs now of heavy unrenewable depletion,,,,, their isn't even that level of passion left to bring or renew more fish from the east into Perth as depletion is taking place ten times faster than renewal if any. :(

#17 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hey mate what species did you lose?

#18 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

Another one I haven't seen in ages is Red Humped Earth Eaters. These used to be like convicts, every store had them. The males are as spectacular as any of the newer earth eaters that have made their way to Oz. 

#19 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

Yeah there's east breeders that has them,, and local here in Perth to,,, but here I don't think they're making it out to the shops.

#20 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hey mate what species did you lose?

Gold charo (I think), unless I find a female somewhere and Dimidiochromis Kwinge which is a big female that lays eggs and holds like the clappers but no males.
Usually I'd just bring out the new fry and start new,, but no fry because the long break I'm taking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users