Photo

Mbuna Eye Diease [Graphic]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 asiobob

asiobob
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Over the past two weeks I noted one of my 2 year old female Cobalt Blues (Metriaclima callainos) had a 'white eye' which progressively inflamed and worsened to an extent it looked like a boil-on-boil. With regret I have euthanased the the fish.

The fish continued to eat and swim around although on it's last day it avoided food and started hiding. The remaining eye is fine and no other fish are showing any similar symptoms.

Tanks: 6x2
Tank mates:

Electric yellows (5),
    Pseudotropheus sp. "acei" (~10)
    Metriaclima callainos (~10)

Ammonia: 0

Nirite: 0

Nitrate: 80ppm (at the time of occurrence and lower due to out of schedule water changes)

No recent treatments, I did add 1 teaspoon per litre of epsom salt over a period days after the occurrence but this had no effect on the eye.

I did not medically treat for pop eye because I couldn't catch the fish in the display tank.

What is this!? See linked photos

2m76q3d.jpg

2hs6ypt.jpg

zt6xci.jpg

The healthy side

24ce3k1.jpg

I know the irony about the Mbuna photo comp.

#2 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

It seems like a tumour that is not common, but I have seen it quite a number of times in cichlids and goldfish.
Sometimes, removal of the eye will remove the tumour (if it is part of the eye) unless the tumour is inside the head, in which case there is not much luck.
It is not contagious, so dont worry about it. You have done the best thing for it.

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users