Photo

Oh Dovii, Where Art Thou?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Shankd

Shankd
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:18 AM

Been almost everywhere, asked almost everyone...

Has anybody seen P. Dovii (Wolf Cichlid) available recently? Or is it just me?

#2 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

I haven't seen dovii for yonks, with that said I know a guy that has a breeding pair. He was asking me for tips on breeding them but I'm not to sure that happend.

If I see him I'll post back up here.

#3 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

There is a bloke who regularly visits these forums who breeds them... i dont know how succesful it has been.... but yeh i wont mention his name incase he doesnt wish for people to know but if he reads this i am sure he will get in contact as he may have some fry.

#4 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

took meand one of my mates over 2 years to find them we got them from midland but here was only a couple there and that was round 6 months ago mines bout 20 cm ishnow biggrin.gif

#5 Shankd

Shankd
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

nice... last bad boy I want to finish off my tank tongue.gif

#6 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

mmm i would almost consider selling my mangrove jack for a breeding pair of dovii... maybe...

#7 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

id love to get a mangrove eventually ivenever seen them for sale tho or had a shop that could get them at the time i was askin

#8 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

yep i have contacted many places... even in the eastern states i havnt seen many. Thats why i love mine oh so much... actually i might do some photos of him .. but i will wait till i get my new light globes and do a water change so there is less tanins.

#9 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

ive seen him when he was smaller but it would be good to see him no he is bigger

#10 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

he is pretty big now probably about 22cm.. i would say his growth will slow down a bit now and the fussy bugger has decided he doesnt like whitebait anymore. Need to get some prawns and try that... he loves his livies but... comets

#11 Shankd

Shankd
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

yeh, i currently have a mixed african/american tank... im going to sell off my africans, and make it primarily for the americans, ie jags, red dev's, and my homocidal oscar

#12 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

lol homicidal oscar wait till you do get a dovii then then you'll see a homicidal fish the most a fish will last with mine is round bout 5 mins (if he is just playingwith it) and ti doesnt matter what size fish i put in either it will be nailed biggrin.gif

#13 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

Im hoping to have a few in about 1 months time.
Also some:
Gold form P.splendida
Salvini
Managuense
Hartwegi
And a few others.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers
Az

#14 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Apr 18 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im hoping to have a few in about 1 months time.
Also some:
Gold form P.splendida
Salvini
Managuense
Hartwegi
And a few others.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers
Az

ill grab some P.splendida for sure

#15 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

After me tongue.gif

Cant wait to see them, They should be very nice.

#16 Global

Global
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

I seen a Dovii male around the 32cm mark sold in a LFS for around $250, about 6 months ago. Pefect specimen too. When it was put for sale by one of the employes of the shop's personal stock, i didnt think it was going to sell! Small shop, more pet shop than fish shop (mind you good stuff at times). But it sold within a week.
Global.

#17 Shankd

Shankd
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:22 AM

my oscar was first fish i ever got... had him since he was like 3-4cm hehe... so if worst comes to worst, he can go back into his 4x18x18 tongue.gif

#18 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Blakey @ Apr 17 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a bloke who regularly visits these forums who breeds them... i dont know how succesful it has been.... but yeh i wont mention his name incase he doesnt wish for people to know but if he reads this i am sure he will get in contact as he may have some fry.

Assuming you are talking about me lol, thanks for being discrete Blakey. Well just to let everyone know I don't have any fry atm. When or if I do I'll let people know.

The male is being quite abusive towards the female and nearly killed her at one point so I've put up a barrier with a big enough gap for her to cross over but not the male although he quite regularly manages to knock it down the bastard. Amazing predators really I swear their sculls are thicker than ours they way he smashes things and doesn't get phased.

#19 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

yes Bigz i was refferring to you... prepare to have your pm box FLOODED ahahahaha. I really hope you get them breeding it would be fantastic to see them back around in numbers again!

#20 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

ive just been officially informed that my dovii is a female i wasnt sure for a while coz i didnt know what size they coloured up mines colouring really nicely for a female tho but i still want a male for her to breed with i was a little dissapointed at first but she is still really aggressive so i can deal with it

so whos got a male for me? lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users