Photo

Hybrid policy and contradictions?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

no i do not find it contradictory at all or hypocritical , and youve been answered this , and the reasons why well back at the start of the thread.

cheers, Scott

#42 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Poncho @ Jun 24 2011, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can say I do not see the situation as a contradiction. Tony has a personal view and a job, which contrast each other.

A good analogy is like saying it is not appropriate for a vegetarian to work at Coles because they will be obliged to sell meat.

I have answered your question but you don't seem to comprehend it or are unsatisfied with the answer so you repeat the question.

I'm not angry at all, I'm amused and your last question which I assume was directed at me I cannot answer as you have taken someone elses words and applied them as my own.

#43 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

So you don't find comments like these hypocritical?

QUOTE ('Poncho')
I could keep a whole shed full of hybrids alone and be the countrys largest wholesaler and still be on the committe so long as I don't use the PCS to conduct my business or promote my hybrids , yes it's that simple .

QUOTE (Hood @ Jun 24 2011, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can keep dodging the question all you want. I will ask it untill you give me a straight answer.
Do you, as both individual members of the club, and commitee members of a club that apparently lobby's against hybrid trade, not find this hypocritical or contradictory?

I think this question is valid since the title of this thread is "hybrid policy and contridictions". wink.gif

And there is no reason for this other than debate about "hybrid policy and contradictions" within the club/forum, as the title of this thread states. biggrin.gif

I'm not reffering to posting on this forum, I am talking about the clubs stand point on the subject of hybrids as a whole. wink.gif

#44 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

The thread was taken from the posts seperated from the serious discussion about marbled peacocks to avoid it diluting that specific discussion. The title was from the issue you raised. I am not sure if it is in reality that difficult a concept, there is a failure to genuinely answer your question to your understanding or you are just trying to stir things.
You use a forum and are a member of a club that is against hybrids, using your logic,if you enjoy hybrids would you not instead become a member of one of the forums devoted to those? There is a lot more to this club and one of its tools, the forum which we can all enjoy and benifit from. The Hybrid policy is only one small part.

#45 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Poncho @ Jun 24 2011, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have answered your question but you don't seem to comprehend it or are unsatisfied with the answer so you repeat the question.

I'm not angry at all, I'm amused and your last question which I assume was directed at me I cannot answer as you have taken someone elses words and applied them as my own.

Sorry mate, I did not mean to quote the wrong commitee member, (if that is what I did?) I'm on my phone so it is hard to quote and such. wink.gif

QUOTE (Fish Antics @ Jun 24 2011, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thread was taken from the posts seperated from the serious discussion about marbled peacocks to avoid it diluting that specific discussion. The title was from the issue you raised. I am not sure if it is in reality that difficult a concept, there is a failure to genuinely answer your question to your understanding or you are just trying to stir things.
You use a forum and are a member of a club that is against hybrids, using your logic,if you enjoy hybrids would you not instead become a member of one of the forums devoted to those? There is a lot more to this club and one of its tools, the forum which we can all enjoy and benifit from. The Hybrid policy is only one small part.

Don't get me wrong but I do not find your answers satisfying. I find them scary, hypocritical and damaging to the hobby as you stand on both sides of the line.

Now there is no maliciousness on my end, I am simply just widdling away the time between bands at a show by participating in a debate. biggrin.gif

#46 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

I will move your post back into the original thread Ollie where it makes more sence.

Tony

#47 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

Then how can you can you consciously sell them in a store and take money for your services to do so, then be on the commitee and come on here and stand the other side of the line and expect people to take your opinion seriously mate? It is highly contradictive.

1.I think you will find that Tony donates his time and services at that store.
2. You will probably also find if and when he has ever been asked about any hybrid f/s at work he has always informed the the buyer that the fish is considered a hybrid.
3.I will guarantee that his opinion is taken much more seriously than that of someone who constantly is winging and complaining about the pcs....... yet pays there membership and comes back time and time again .....now that is contradiction......even more so when they have there own fish site to complain on.

Perhaps you should get your facts straight before you attempt to discredit people.

#48 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

It's true, i do not completely agree with the club's policies and i feel i should be free to question them (or whinge and complain as you put it) , on an open forum, as i know there are others who agree with me, most of whom don't want to 'make waves' which is entirely their decision.

I thought the PCS did more to represent us ("us" being the general public in the hobby) than they do, this is also why i am a member, i seriously believed they were "my voice" in the hobby and would set the standard... this is all i ask, and in this case to say yes or no on hybrids, all hybrids and stop sitting on the fence.

My forum is not the issue here, i have no fence to sit on, i'm completely open to everything and i let the public decide what is right and wrong, there is a wealth of knowledge out there,some provided by societies like this one, i don't need to provide it for them,they are big enough and ugly enough to use google and figure it out for themselves, hence... no fence. Also why would i discuss this forum on my forum?

Also i was not trying to discredit Tony, he's a credit to the hobby, everyone know that... i was simply using him as an example, it could have been Joe blow at X fish store who's also on the committee.

#49 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Please tell us Hood - which policy are you questioning?

Amongst your ramblings I've only been able to make out that you're questioning the integrity of the chairman and his views on hybrids when he works in a shop that stocks hybrids. We have no policy on this. Are you suggesting we create one so that no person who has any kind of connection with the selling or trading of hybrids is allowed in the club?

Perhaps you wouldn't mind if we place the spotlight on you? Please tell us, what are your thoughts on hybrids and how they should be traded and dealt with on this forum and within the club? It would be interesting to hear if you have a better solution or if your abilities are limited to criticism only.

#50 scotty81

scotty81
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

This thread is getting boreing, who honestly cares. Hood, you being a member of the pcs have you ever bought anything from any of the site sponsors? If you have that makes you just as much of a hipocrate. It's not rocket science, the site has its rules and sticks by them and there sponsors when advertising stick by them to, what's the problem??? It's like telling holden or Ford they can't sell 4 cylinder cars because there a member of a 8 cylinder only site. Totaly impracticable.

#51 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

Guys, this sort of topic comes up periodically on this forum. The people bringing this up typically have two traits; they believe they know a better way to do so, and are unwilling to hear any other points of view. I can see just in this thread alone that the answer to the repeated question has been answered multiple times. Perhaps it is easier to comprehend if broken down:

1) The PCS exists to benefit the hobby and its members. The definition of benefit is determined by its members through a democratically elected committee.

2) The PCS stance on hybrids is that these are damaging to the hobby to the extent that pure cichlid genetics can be contaminated and lost.

3) The chosen policy for hybrids for the club (and consequently, in this forum) is that discussion of hybrids is allowed, but trading is not. The reason for this policy is to facilitate the education of as broad an audience in the hobby as possible as to the issues with hybrids. The overarching goal of education within the hobby has been determined to be best served by allowing stores/individuals who wish to keep/sell hybrids to continue to participate in the club, regardless of their personal views, so long as club policy is followed and no trading of hybrids occurs.

4) The PCS is not a regulatory authority for the hobby and cannot and will not dictate what occurs outside the club (and the forum, which is a tool of the club).

5) The PCS advocates for the cichlid hobby and the policies in place reflect the member's determination of what will best add value to the hobby.

If you cannot obtain the answer to your queries from the summary above then I suggest that you have been given sufficient air time to air your views and you should now accept that those views are contrary to clubs position. I see no rationale within your arguments that justifies changing club policies.

#52 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.
It seems confusion was on my part, as I thought the PCS was actually some sort of "governing/regulatory body" (so to speak), that was to set the standard.
I did not realise it was just another forum just like mine. I mean, I can organise meetings and bbq's and have speakers too.
I just thought the club did more than that.
I especially thought the club or committee as a whole did more to lobby for us.

It seems I obviously just thought there was more to this club.

Cheers again for taking the time to answer my query's guys. biggrin.gif

#53 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

I think the most contradictory aspect of this whole debate is the fact that 'noisy' members who apparently have no time to attend meetings and contribute to the club seem to have the most time to get online and argue the same old garbage.

#54 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

here we have are clear example of someone who is just out to make sarcastic and uneducated remarks purely in attempt of trying to discredit/belittle the organization which is , and will remain the club we are all a part of .

Hood's questions have been answered repeatedly , the answers have been explained repeatedly .

Those of us/you who attend club meetings/events know all to well that the club is and does do much more for the hobby than the things Hood has eluded to above .

He has freely admitted to killing his boredom ''between bands'' as he put it , by wasting our time and yours with this nowhere argument .

this thread however is still valid for those who have anything useful to contribute as per the title of this discussion.

cheers, Scott

#55 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (scottyhooton @ Jun 25 2011, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this thread however is still valid for those who have anything useful to contribute as per the title of this discussion.

Absolutely smile.gif

and it's comforting to see that our membership is not so easily hoodwinked by self promoting gloryhounds wink.gif

#56 Niz

Niz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

hoodwinked

roflmao

Edited by Niz, 25 June 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#57 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hehe poncho = Winning smile.gif

#58 Aquamojo

Aquamojo
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

Glad to see that the USA isn't the only place where this livley debate generates this kind of conversation. We talked about this for three years before we finally settled on a solution.

Enjoy the hobby folks.

Mo

#59 Skuts

Skuts
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

I edited this cause I didn't have anything nice to say

Edited by Skuts, 25 June 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#60 whoever

whoever
  • Banned

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

its all a bit facist. why cant people buy and sell what they want here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users