finding dark river stones or granite

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nOOSE

nOOSE
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2004 - 12:37 AM

hey guys,

i wanna use a dark almost black rockwork in my tank but i can't seem to find it. i been to soil's adn soils and they don't have it.

could u guys point me in the direction of getting rocks that i want.

nOOSE

#2 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:11 AM

Croon had some cool black rocks in one of his tanks maybe he might know...

I have some round black ones I got from Watergarden World in Balcatta.

Heres the best picture I can find of one, they're about 5 inches in diameter

is that a river stone?

#3 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:41 AM

I am also looking for the same thing. That rocks looks good eX024 and im pretty sure it is a riverstone. Theres some kind of rock place down south forgot what its called. I was hoping to get very black granite aswell (if they even have such a thing). If you do have some cool black rocks croon can you submit a picture.

#4 urodacus

urodacus
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:44 AM

Have a look in the hills, plenty of dark rivers rocks. If you find some good ones discretely 'borrow' them. Theres plenty of wood and stuff thats ready to go straight into tanks in the hundreds of streams that run through the scarp too.

#5 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:29 AM

Watergarden World also has large black display rocks at $3.95 per kg, each rock would be about 10 kg.
Terry

#6 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:27 AM

$39.50 for a rock though :o

The 'black granite' you want you'll probably find as basalt (essentially the same as granite chemically but formed by the magma cooling quicker....). Anyways, there should be a couple of granite ppl in one of the industrial areas (e.g. osborne park). See if they have any basalt or dark granite. I've heard it can leach iron into the tank though so i dont know how bad that is.

#7 nOOSE

nOOSE
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:11 PM

yeah that river rock looks pretty kewl. i want it to match my 3d background

so round is good and i'll prolly end up using it but i would much rather more squarish rounder rocks.

thanks guys

nOOSE

#8 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:24 PM

speaking of wood, i found this most amazing stream in a secrete spot of mine and i am almost certain it is not protected.
Unfortunatly it is a 4 anda half hour drive from perth, but i am sure it would be worth the trip is people are interested.
Might fill the boot up next time im down there

#9 nOOSE

nOOSE
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:46 AM

well i just went to watergarden world and bought some rocks.. and yes it's not cheap but what can u do if u want nice rocks apart from drive for 4 hours.

so i got 3 rocks and i'm keen to see how they'll look in my tank.

when i get my hands on a digital camera again i'll take a pic and show ya how they look.

ps. yes it was about 30 - 40 bux a rock but i think of it as an investment. it's like 3 rare fish or good fish and rocks don't die :p

nOOSE

#10 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:03 AM

Jeez louis that's alota money for a rock. Were they the same ones pictured?

#11 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:24 AM

The one in the picture I posted only weighs around 1kg so I think the ones he got are differant. I'd like to see photos of them though.

It may be a lot of money for rocks, but at least they're gonna last you forever ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users