Sign Of The Times,your Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

hi guy's and gal's

just seeing that alot of people on here selling their set ups and fish.
whats going on?

running costs including the rediculous power bills we're paying i'm guessing.
your thoughts?
cheers,
Con. smile.gif

#2 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hmmmmm , I'm selling all mine and going for one large display tank , not running costs just time

#3 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Just moved house and no room for the fish shed. Down-sizing and setting up 2 6' displays for the time being.

#4 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

I guess there are many reasons the uncertain world economy, rising power bills and all bills in general. Lack of time and passion, personal issues, living arrangements. The fish industry has been in a down turn for some time now after it went threw a rapid growth and the market got flooded. I can understand people down sizing but i could never get rid of fish altogether. I've always kepted fish and always will, right to the very end. I couldn't think of a better way to go, slowly drifting off with the fading view of a display tank. rip.gif steve

#5 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

i think it is lack of choice of fish, it so happens that all the fish on the ban list are the prettier ones. The chances of seeing RTC juvies or any of the nice birchirs and gars etc are slim to none, we are left with e yelllows and moori, very boring crap little fish

#6 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

What are you complaining about, you don't have a tank big enough for RTC.

Could always cram one into a 6x2 like most people I guess.

#7 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Unfortunately for me with bub on the way, renovations to the new house and working from 4am-6pm I just don't have the time anymore. But don't worry still have my 6x2x2 display inside and the whole shed set up stored around the side of the house ready to go again lol

#8 Midnite76

Midnite76
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

I've always felt I've left my run too late.
Getting hooked on tankbusters when there seems little left around and hardly anyone keeping them.

If people want to keep it private I understand but I wouldn't mind sharing successes and ideas with similar hobbyists.
If anyone wants to contact me privately please feel free to do so

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

I noticed that a lot of people are selling their breeding set-ups. I'd love to get in to breeding one day, but I find that I'm spending too much time maintaining the 3 tanks I already got.

#10 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Midnite76 @ Aug 13 2012, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always felt I've left my run too late.
Getting hooked on tankbusters when there seems little left around and hardly anyone keeping them.

If people want to keep it private I understand but I wouldn't mind sharing successes and ideas with similar hobbyists.
If anyone wants to contact me privately please feel free to do so

+1

#11 Gareth

Gareth
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Definetly cost for me...
Mainly because I have a more exspensive hobby now too, 4wding... $$$$$$ fix it, break it, fix it, break it NON STOP!
Plus also moving next yr work permitting so it was easier to sell everything rather than move it all again.

This hobby has always been in the family, I will surely be back into it one day.

#12 COBRA 386

COBRA 386
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Where you off to Gareth ? I thought you loved where you are .....lol

#13 Mausberg

Mausberg
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

been waiting for them to finish building my new house ..so had extra power points and taps put in...cant wait to set up my racks and get back in to it....AND buy more racks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he he he

gonna go with SA CA and discs

Edited by Mausberg, 13 August 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#14 Midnite76

Midnite76
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm the same.
My wife let me build an extra garage just for the tanks.
Little does she know theres a monster tank going out the back wink.gif

Can't wait for the house to be finished....

#15 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Having been in the industry for quite a number of years, I get to see the tides change..... we are back to over 10 years ago where things got slow and hobbyist dropped out (mainly over the licensing scare, but mainly over the fact that not many LFS's were paying cash for fish, and forums were not as popular back then)

We are seeing a lot more new customers - beginners - and some old dropouts getting back into it again as the old itch becomes unbearable.....

It is normal to see it happen - there are fewer LFS's out there to start with, and most of them are not paying Cash for fish, just shop credit - so hobbyists cant see the viability in keeping their fish. Good thing is a lot of new comers are filling their places, and soon the demand for rare fish will came back and the need for local breeders will drive the price of fish back up and the hobbyists will be back.... the trick is to keep your old breeders on ice (display tanks) and breed them in the next few months - things are on the way up, demand is picking up - but dont breed too many - keep them lean to keep them keen.... raise only a moderate number of fish to keep the demand for the fish up.

#16 teck

teck
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

i was a fish keeper before, use to sell a lot of fish to others on this forum also as some of you might remember. started off as a hobby with a single 3 foot tank with a few fantails and before i knew it i had 2 4x2 tanks, a 6x2x2 and my masterpiece was a 8x2.5x2.5 and thousands of dollars in arowanas that some of you might have also seen. been out of the game for at least a good 2 years now it just got to the point where i finished a 12-14 hour shift spend another 1 hour feeding and tending to fish and maybe another 2 hours or so changing water in tanks, with work loads going up i found that i was neglecting my fish so just let everything go. i think there are many factors that do make people let go of fishing keeping, rising maintance costs power bills and water bills,but for me it was just simply the lack of time to do it, for the people that have continued good on them and i have met great people in this hobby

#17 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

i feel things are picking up!!!

people are accepting higher power prices... and being honest - water is your cheapest commodity... 25% wc on a 6x2x2 is only approx 150 litres of water... i pay $1.50 per kL of water thats $1.50 for 1000 litres of water... so 1 litre of water costs 0.15cents (fraction of 1 cent - not 15cents)..... so 150 litre water change will cost you approx 22.5cents..... i think everyone can afford that!!!! smile.gif

with sponge technology and air driven filters - run your tank cheap as chips.... 40watt air pump can drive 20 air outlets with power to spare... so 40 x 24 x 7 = 40 x 168 = 6720 which is how many wH you use(6.72 kwH)... i pay 22.5 cents per kwH... (thx to carbon tax julia bollard) 6.7 x 22.5 = $1.50 per week (approx) most of us have smaller wattage pump on a cannister...

so all up less than $2 a week to run a 6x2x2.... $1.72... some left to run a fluro over the tank!!!!

fish keeping isnt all that expensive as its made out to be......

#18 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

the expensive part isnt the uprunning cost's ! hehe its when the shizzle hits the fan, ie flooding of my house lately due to a malfunction of the filter hose has made me had to replace the skirting and what not, but lets face it, if you love fish you cant count your penny's, if you get out of fish because its to $ then your hearts not in it any ways!
i work 5weeks on 5 weeks off and i still manage to have tanks, the missus gets grumpy when things go wrong and im away but hey still here and still have tanks.

#19 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

That's because your mates are on call when your away.

#20 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (bigjohnnofish @ Aug 14 2012, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i feel things are picking up!!!

people are accepting higher power prices... and being honest - water is your cheapest commodity... 25% wc on a 6x2x2 is only approx 150 litres of water... i pay $1.50 per kL of water thats $1.50 for 1000 litres of water... so 1 litre of water costs 0.15cents (fraction of 1 cent - not 15cents)..... so 150 litre water change will cost you approx 22.5cents..... i think everyone can afford that!!!! smile.gif

with sponge technology and air driven filters - run your tank cheap as chips.... 40watt air pump can drive 20 air outlets with power to spare... so 40 x 24 x 7 = 40 x 168 = 6720 which is how many wH you use(6.72 kwH)... i pay 22.5 cents per kwH... (thx to carbon tax julia bollard) 6.7 x 22.5 = $1.50 per week (approx) most of us have smaller wattage pump on a cannister...

so all up less than $2 a week to run a 6x2x2.... $1.72... some left to run a fluro over the tank!!!!

fish keeping isnt all that expensive as its made out to be......

ummm heaters? where i live it gets -5* over night!!! and day get up to 25* in summer!! so i HAVE to have heaters in all my tanks so thats the big cost..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users