Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

KyleOvens's Content

There have been 15 items by KyleOvens (Search limited from 30-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#351080 Need Help Finding A Fish

Posted by KyleOvens on 06 April 2016 - 12:28 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Have you spoke to Paul at Morley aquariums ?? Or maybe fish room as he gets a lot of TB

Good point I will defiantly ask Morley aquariums!

haven't seen any in awhile, was an influx from over east around a year ago.
my thoughts they where noxious or grey listed what ever the hell Fisheries are doing these days.
just have cash ready and when one pops up jump on it.
last lot of RTGG I saw here where around $300 @5cm odd. There's always a couple on the QLDAF forum, but most will be larger then small.
if you do find some here or can get hold of some, tell me to please I wouldn't mind a red tail.

The hard part is trying to find one Inbetween small and large I have my heart set on one that's around 15cm but I'm pretty much asking for the impossible ️haha I want to see it grow up but don't want it to small cause it would get eaten in my tank, will be upgrading to a 8x2.5x2.5 by the end of the year
Will defiantly let you know !

#351056 Need Help Finding A Fish

Posted by KyleOvens on 05 April 2016 - 06:09 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Does anyone know where I can get a juvenile giant gourami in perth ? I've been looking for a long time now and I haven't had any luck

#351031 Sexing Firemouth Cichlids

Posted by KyleOvens on 05 April 2016 - 06:23 AM in Cichlid Discussion

Hey mate the males have 2 holes and the females have one, very hard to determine the most accurate way to tell if you have a pair would be to wait to see if they spawn.

#350886 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 31 March 2016 - 08:30 PM in Cichlid Discussion

So last night my larger canister filter broke, that's got me thinking maybe it hasn't been operating as well as it should of been and maybe that was the reason the nitrates were bad? Would this be the cause? Lucky I have a spare and I swaped all the old medial over to the new filter so will see how it goes!

#350784 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 29 March 2016 - 08:11 AM in Cichlid Discussion

Mate API nitrate test... Bin the sucker! They can read way too high!
Unless your filters are chockers full of crap, I guarantee you dont have nitrates as high as the poxy test is telling you.

I'm starting to think its not accurate after all the water changes it's still ready 40ppm better the 80ppm what it was saying before but I don't think the tank and filters could be any cleaner without causing damage to the tanks cycle

#350726 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 26 March 2016 - 05:27 PM in Cichlid Discussion

I haven't actually tested after the 80% water change was going to wait a few days first

#350715 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 26 March 2016 - 10:17 AM in Cichlid Discussion

Read that last post that Syd gave you,,, read it over and over.
If your truly doing the correct regimes your saying, then the problem your saying you have just doesn't exist,,, I don't see any problem.
I've had many people seek advice from me, and just about every time that someone has tested their nitrates to be high, I've tested their water at half the nitrate readings,,,,, this is because of people's perception of color shades, crappy kits and a very common mistake by most is leaving the vial with water and indicator to sit to long which increases the final readings.
If your fish are showing no signs of stress, stop worrying.
Besides, you've got tank full of super hardy fish.
As Syd mentioned, harder water will reduce your limitations,,, get your KH and GH around 8 minimum.
If your not over feeding, not over stocked, no waiste build up in substrate, keep filter maintenance on time and water change weekly then every thing should remain in reasonable check.

Get a brand new api liquid test kit and test your water again and after you've added indicator wait for exactly one minute then read the color,,,,, and that's your true reading as best your going to get from a fresh test kit.
Wait a few more minutes and your readings will show your nitrates much higher which will not be accurate as it's the mistake your probably making right now.

I do use a good api test kit. And the fact that aquotixs test is coming up the same 80ppm means that I'm not reading colours wrong. And aquotixs have told me to wait 5 minutes after the test to get a true reading.

#350695 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 25 March 2016 - 05:51 PM in Cichlid Discussion

My tap water tests at 5ppm nitrate and amonia 0 and nitrite 0 and a 8.0ph
Tap water isn't the issue that's why I can't figure out why it's happening all of a sudden.
Also use prime to detoxify all the Nasty tap water stuff
I think I'm going to let the water settle for a few days now before the next water change, I will test it and then take water to aquotixs for a secondary test to make sure mine is accurate.

how'd you go ?

Will give the water a test again in a couple days because I heard that water conditioner can give false readings if tested less then 24 hours after being added

#350670 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 25 March 2016 - 07:34 AM in Cichlid Discussion

I'm doing the 80% water change now will let you know if the levels drop at all

#350664 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 24 March 2016 - 08:51 PM in Cichlid Discussion

1500L/hr is a aqua nova has 4 trays with active charcoal, black not dense sponge for better flow, k1 media and bio balls

800L/hr is a via Aqua has 2 trays with dense sponges and one tray of white bio noodles

960l/hr Aqua one internal has 2 medium density sponges

And then I have the 2 internal bio sponge filters that connect to the air pump.

And no is not a planted tank, is half River gravel and the rest is just bare glass bottom, the only things in there are large rock (not limestone) large hollow drift wood and a large pvc tunnel pipe
I would post a photo but it tells me the file is to big to post?

#350658 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 24 March 2016 - 06:14 PM in Cichlid Discussion

do you think the nitrate level will slowly break down the fishes immune system and make them prone to diseases ? thats all i worry about is my fishes health! and also what is sera-flora never heard of it??

#350655 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 24 March 2016 - 04:50 PM in Cichlid Discussion

I clean my internal when it stops flowing as good as usual I clean the canisters probably monthly not at the same time of coarse, and not on a day I'm cleaning gravel they never look extremely dirty, I squeeze the sponges out in a bucket of tank water but not so they are 100% clean I like to leave them slightly dirty

#350653 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 24 March 2016 - 04:38 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Oh I feed as much as they can eat in 2 minutes every second day

#350652 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 24 March 2016 - 04:30 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Thanks for the reply Jules
I have half gravel and half glass bottom substrate thinking of going all glass bottom, and yes when I WC I gravel vac what gravel I do have, I feed large hikari food sticks and the occasional frozen beef heart I rinse both foods under the tap before I feed.
Filtration
800L/hr canister
1500L/hr canister
960L/hr internal
2 bio sponge filters ️what go to a air pump

Do you think my tank is over stocked ? I honestly don't think it is

#350650 Nitrate Problems Please Help

Posted by KyleOvens on 24 March 2016 - 03:21 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Hey Everyone I'm new to this forum, have been keeping fish for around 1 year now, I recently noticed in my 6x2x2 my nitrates are around 80ppm, haven't added new fish or done anything different just the normal 25% WC a week.
So I've been doing 50% WC every day for 4 days now and nothing has change still 80! And my tap water test at around 5ppm if that? Some helpful opinions would be nice

Fish : large Oscar, large pleco, large catfish, pearl cichlid, frontosa, 2 medium scats.
Nitrite 0
Amonia 0
Nitrate 80
Ph 7.8 stable