Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Fish Sucking At Surface - What Would You Do?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Fish sucking at surface and so I tested the water.
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
nitrite between 1.0 & 2.0 ppm
Nitrate between 10ppm & 20 ppm

I did a 25-40% water change
added some pH down,
Added aquarium salt

What would you have done? Is there anything else I can do . Fish are acting more normal after this. It was the neon tetras that were worse but they're now back near the bottom

#2 Petert

Petert
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

What size is their tank?

Fish swimming at the top rings alarm bells and I'd pump more air in the tank via air stones or venturi.

#3 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

+1 for what Pete said.

Monitor the water parameters and do small water changes (~20%) every two to three days until nitrite is 0 ppm

#4 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Thankyou

The tank is 70 litres.

#5 Petert

Petert
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Even though you've aerated the water by doing the water change, I'd still add an air stone or two.

Neon tetras are a pretty delicate fish and you must do all you can to keep them safe. :)

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

pH was 7.6 before or after adding the pH down?

Water temperature?

Any idea what has caused your nitrite to spike?

#7 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Babies probably and because of the bristlenose babies I have been adding extra food. Also swordtail and molly babies just a couple of days apart all in all now overstocked tank. I need to sell the babies. I've advertised them. The pH was before pH down and I didn't use the high end pH test kit. I try and keep pH to 6.8 or below. So I just added pH doe and will test again tomorrow.

My 70 litre has 2 full grown swordtails, 7 neon tetras, 2 bristlenoses, 2 corydoras, half dozen baby plattys and 4 baby swordtails. Plus the new baby Molly's and swordtails born in last couple of days.
I would say main cause is overcrowding.

Also my quarantine tank is not good enough quality water to risk putting fish in as it's just cycling.

I also added an extra filter and haven't done water change for more than 2 weeks

After doing everything the fish are not gulping and neons are back to their usual place mid tank heightwise

Water temp 28C as usual

I'll add an air stone tomorrow through the new filter and see what happens then

Edited by T1gger, 05 December 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

you need to understand nitrite is prob one of the most dangerous compounds to have in your aquarium.. it is easily 10 times as devastating as ammonia... and we know how ammonia can damage and kill fish... so if it was my tank - min 50% waterchange and slowly refill the tank with treated tap water to give fish ample time to adjust to incoming water... i would not mess around with ph up/down chemicals... want softer water add more wood... grapevine and some malaysian woods lower your ph very well and usually buffer it at a steady level combined with regular water changes... alternatively want higher ph add limestone... some substrates will raise or lower ph too... 

i would get myself some prime and add as per label to detoxify nitrites..in your tank...

if your tank stocking becomes higher you may need to add extra filter and do daily water changes to keep everything good for your fish...

#9 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

If your smallest fish, with very small gills is at the top of the tank sucking at the surface. I would assume you need more air circulation in the tank.

#10 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Fish are back all over the place.

I tested the water today with the following results:
PH 7.8
Ammonia <0.25
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate <5.0ppm

I'm happy with that. I'm gonna pH down it a little but apart from that it seems fine now. Must've been a mini cycle caused by addition of second filter and aided by turning up the first filter. I will need to clean 1st filter soon.

I use pH down as I don't have enough soaked wood. I will be adding more wood but it works until that is soaked and treated. I was at a winery today. I might see if they have some grape vine I can buy. I didn't know this was fish safe. I have collected driftwood from the beach and it has been left in a hot car for a couple of weeks then soaked in bucket for 2 weeks. Is this treated enough?

#11 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Do people think I should do a water change for the ammonia level?

#12 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

id add a sponge filter honestly to help deal with the bioload in the tank, airation and filtration at once!! and then continue small water changes til 0 all round

#13 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Bermont,

What do you mean by a sponge filter a internal filter? I put a small one in and that's when things started going wrong.

Edited by T1gger, 07 December 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#14 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

an air powered sponge, basically a large sponge with an air line connected, the air moving up the tube creates suction and draws water thru the sponge. Aquotix have them cheap as.

http://www.aquariumo...driven-filters/

#15 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

water change wont hurt... if you want to use wood straight away - boil it in hot water for 10 mins - that'll kill any potential nastys... cone snails included :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users