Photo

6X2X2 - Planted Tank Filtration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zacy boy

zacy boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hey guys, I know there is a few posts regarding smiling questions but I thought I would ask in regards to my particular setup, I currently have a 6x2x2 planted tank with just neon tetras a peppy breeding colony some guppies and some rcs, also planning on introducing some whiptails once the uni semester is over. When I bought the tank it came with two filters similar to the ones you see on eBay, pretty cheap non-branded ones with the uv light. At first they did the job but now I'm beginning to become a bit more picky and I would prefer running one or two cannister filters to ensure the tank is as clear as possible and there is no bits of debris of wood etc left on the sand whilst having a decent flow rate for the pepps. So now for my question, what does everyone recommend I use? I was thinking about running 1 fluval fx5. Thoughts? What is everyone else using? Any help would be much appreciated guys :)

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Stick with the filters you have mate. As long as they are running ok just leave it as is. If you want to "polish" the water you could put a purigen bag in. I find that running 2 canister filters is handy as I can give one a really good clean and not have to worry about the beneficial bacteria dropping off after a clean

#3 zacy boy

zacy boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the response Mate, only problem on having with them is the flow rate seems to be dropping, even when I clean the pipes etc. just thought it was maybe time for an upgrade.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Yeah if they are running like poo just replace them with something else. I'm a big fan of the Astro 2212 so you. Could run 2 of them, but I think Aquotix is out of stock of them at the moment. The fx5 is a good powerful filter, so you could get one of them to filter the whole tank.

#5 Dylan Simmons

Dylan Simmons
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

maybe get a hang on the back filter to polish the water? theyre pretty good with wool

#6 zacy boy

zacy boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

thanks for the tips guys, i made a bit of a mistake jason doing a clean out of my tank a while ago, cleaned out both canisters and i can only assume i killed all the beneficial bacteria in them, lost a few fish whilst the canisters are re-establishing themselves as is, rookie mistake - hah!. i have an internal as well to try polish the water, its relatively clean as is, its more just the debris getting caught in the sand, but perhaps there is nothing i can do about that. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users