Photo

Recent Fishing

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#61 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

Paul - No worries, cheers Paul. I'll try come into the shop over the next couple weeks for a yarn. Have the FADs been deployed yet? I was thinking of becoming a member of the Perth Game Fishing Club, membership is $110 a year. Apparently everyone does good up to date current updates on their website, I'm sure some of the members there would be invaluable to someone who is pretty green at getting really far out wide, like me. Most of my demersal spots are within 5-7km off the west end of rotto, so it's that bit further again.

Brett - I don't know whether to be slightly concerned about all the northern species in Perth Metro waters, or really excited? Funny you mention the Red Throats I had a couple in my freezer since before the ban, cooked em up last night. Actually weren't too bad after being frozen for at least a couple months.

Excuse my ignorance (I have done virtually 0), what size rod do you use for the Tigers off the beach, specifically length? I assume you are using an overhead of some description for line capacity? I have only ever ballooned a couple times, both times resulting in a filthy Ray (Leighton Beach). Actually caught more small sharks there just fishing for Taylor. Fishing is amazing, you think you have somewhat mastered one form yet there's another 1000 ways to catch a fish, everyone needs more research, more gear, more planning and more trying!

#62 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

Not sure if the fads are out yet. As dollys are our target fish we usually wait until dec jan for them to put some size on, can be small & tentative early on.

#63 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Man you guys have seriously got to have a crack at some of these pelagics on fly.

#64 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hey Alex I've got three rods I use for ballooning, a 5ft, 9ft and 12ft. All but one of the tigers were on the 5ft with a tyrnos 50 which is a complete overkill for anything under 2m. It was hard even knowing if anything was on with the last two caught, just retrieving the balloon is harder work than bringing in the small ones. 

The 2m+ one in my report from last week was on the 9ft which made it really tiring, if I had of been using the 5ft it would of been easy as. Yeah I like leighton it's a good spot but seems to shut down for long periods, so many first time ballooners/shark fishers there this summer so far. Did you see some guy at port beach got pulled out of his kayak lastnight by a suspected shark just after he dropped off a bait? Asking for trouble when someone runs 100lb braid on a penn international and doesn't know what they're doing. 

Have you found any worms in the redthroat flesh? Was a massive problem with the ones we used to fillet from up north, was at least a 50/50 ratio with a good 30-40kg going in the bin every day. 

#65 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

Read in the paper today, the fads are now in place.

#66 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Been catching some good size bream around Maylands in the river.

Going to Pemberton for some Trout, then onto Albany.

Anyone know some good spots for fishing in Albany?

#67 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hey Alex I've got three rods I use for ballooning, a 5ft, 9ft and 12ft. All but one of the tigers were on the 5ft with a tyrnos 50 which is a complete overkill for anything under 2m. It was hard even knowing if anything was on with the last two caught, just retrieving the balloon is harder work than bringing in the small ones. 

The 2m+ one in my report from last week was on the 9ft which made it really tiring, if I had of been using the 5ft it would of been easy as. Yeah I like leighton it's a good spot but seems to shut down for long periods, so many first time ballooners/shark fishers there this summer so far. Did you see some guy at port beach got pulled out of his kayak lastnight by a suspected shark just after he dropped off a bait? Asking for trouble when someone runs 100lb braid on a penn international and doesn't know what they're doing. 

Have you found any worms in the redthroat flesh? Was a massive problem with the ones we used to fillet from up north, was at least a 50/50 ratio with a good 30-40kg going in the bin every day. 

Yeah, I fished Leighton hard a couple summers ago, went really well most times. Last few times I've been there, I've caught squat. I didn't hear about someone being pulled out of their canoe? was this on fishwrecked?

No issue with worms in the red throats. I haven't kept a whole heap of them though, probably kept 8 or so leading up to the ban. Only kept them when I couldn't bag out on dhu fish or pink snapper, as they count towards your 2 demersal. Spot where I was getting 'em is a long way to travel for 2 red throats! ;)

Read in the paper today, the fads are now in place.

Nice one, I'm on holidays now. Can't wait to hit the water.

#68 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hit up some demersals now the ban is over. Got a nice dhu, a massive queeny and a nice baldy and black ass. Great day on the water.

4AFBF80D-89E0-4034-84E6-6DEDD941D515-106

778234CC-1122-4665-BAEC-C7138987E147-106
  • Fox likes this

#69 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Nice work on the demersals.
Went out sat night to coogee. Had a decent session with 6 thumping kg boated. Got sharked on a monster ( never had that in so close before), then lost the biggest of the night in my haste to get it out before getting sharked again as i hooked it straight after.
Decided to drop them in the scaling bag on the way in the harbour- tragedy, bloody rope snapped & lost the lot!. Still crying tears of pain.
Never use one of them again.

#70 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

The bag probably got sharked too!

#71 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Pretty sure it just snapped at the metal crimp

#72 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Looks like some decent weather coming up on the second. Hopefully it stays that way or improves, I'm itching to hit the water.

#73 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Attached File  fish 30.jpg   423.06KB   4 downloads

Given up trying to work out how to make pics bigger

EDIT Click photo to enlarge

Edited by jeffblack, 01 January 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#74 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

use photo bucket 100% easier 

#75 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

I can't really see your pics mate, looks like a couple pinks and a dhu? And something else

#76 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yes I know, trying to work how to make them bigger, when I click on picture from my end it enlarges. I'm guessing it doesn't get bigger when others click on it?

#77 zacy boy

zacy boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Works for me mate, that's a thumping pinky, well done. Biggest I ever caught was 92cm and I had to let it go as it was too big to be kept up in Shark Bay. Spewing, but got a couple of nice photos to prove it happened, great fighting fish.

#78 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

Good to hear it can be enlarged, was 97cm, Pulled 2 the day before that at 92 and 94cm. I catch them on soft plastic and 30lb braid, heaps of fun on the light gear. 

#79 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Pic opens for me now. Nice pinkys mate!

http://www.watoday.c...1231-3045d.html

Not a good look for fishermen

• Fox likes this

#80 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:12 PM