Photo

2 Wheeled Fish Keepers ;)

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

So don't down shift they don't like seeing that all you are focussing on is stopping within that 12m (clutch in off the throttle squeeze the brakes) but don't try and do it too short as that's when you lock it up. All depends on what you are doing because sometimes the left wheel track is better it's all about the safety bubble and reading the road.
  • Fox likes this

#42 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

Excellent, Thanks again.

#43 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

Also for the R test they're looking for hill park and hill start. I never got assessed on that, but most will assess you on that.

• Fox likes this

#44 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

A huge thanks for the info guys, I went out tonight and tested the E-stops, wasn't too bad. Skidded a couple if times but also got it a couple of times as well.
I also tried figure 8's and U-turns, perfect on everyone of them. Pretty stoked about that.

#45 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

Did you skid the front or back? Good stuff about the o turns when you get confident at them practise them on a hill.
Did you skid the front or back? Good stuff about the o turns when you get confident at them practise them on a hill.

#46 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

Keep practicing your o/u turns. Some assessors like to take students to really narrow and tight streets. I got taken to a street where the bike could barely make it around on full lock at walking pace.

Just remember, any time, any place.

With emergency brakes use a little front brake to prevent the nose of the bike dipping down too much and back brake to even it all out and obviously increase the pressure SLOWLY, if that makes sense.

#47 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Skidded the back, Ahh good idea, I'll do that ;)
Skidded the back, Ahh good idea, I'll do that ;)  (I only repeated this as I saw you did haha)

Keep practicing your o/u turns. Some assessors like to take students to really narrow and tight streets. I got taken to a street where the bike could barely make it around on full lock at walking pace.

Just remember, any time, any place.

With emergency brakes use a little front brake to prevent the nose of the bike dipping down too much and back brake to even it all out and obviously increase the pressure SLOWLY, if that makes sense.

I thought that, I started them in a wider street and tried a couple in a real tight street. Dropped my foot twice!! But I'll keep practicing ;)

When I went for a lesson, the instructor said to imagine the front brake isnt there (Oly use it sometimes) as it can be a real issue if you rely on the front. Flipping bike or front wheel skidding out.
It seems to work very well, I use the back brake for everything and I feel it controls the bike a lot better.

#48 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

who did you do your lesson with?

using to much back brake is going to end bad most if your braking is done using the front brakes you are using your bikes weight to your advantage you will not flip the bike unless you hit them crazy hard and skidding out only if you hit it too hard as well your front brake is the most effective out of your brakes. That seems a little weird an instructor say only use your front brake sometimes. I would have to say your would get a poor mark on your test if you were to do that in the assessment.  

#49 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ahh really! Thats interesting. I was using it a lot before the lesson and now I hardly use it.

It was a local guy in Ellenbrook. Seemed like an ok guy, been riding for 20+ yrs LVL 3 or 4 instructor.

#50 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

Very odd I went with a couple different instructors and they all said front is your major brake. I highly recommend Tai from Elite great instructor he will explain in detail why your front brake is important in an emergency stop. 

• Fox likes this

#51 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

OK well the nest time I go out, I'll try the front brake (not under extreme pressure of coure ;) )

I'll let you know if it works out better for me. Thanks again for all the info. Very much appreciated.

#52 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

if you need any help I'm out your way so can come by with my bike I just can't shadow yet 

What are your thoughts about this saj? 

• Fox likes this

#53 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Should get a PCS cruise happening :) Im sure if I was in the middle that would be classed as shadowing :)

BTW if guys are after gear, check out:

https://www.thehelmetwarehouse.com.au/

I just grabbed my gloves and jacket from them, seems a lot cheaper.

P.S
Even though they say they don't exchange, they sent a jacket today and it wasn't right for me and they were happy to exchange ;)

Edited by Az Aquatic, 12 December 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#54 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Nice :) helmet house in Vic park are really good as well.
  • Fox likes this

#55 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Will check them out ;)

#56 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sorry, I can't shadow yet. I only got my RE last year and just got my R's

I think it's something like 70 or 80% of your braking power comes from front and 20/30% with your back. (Don't quote me on that)

Essentially don't use the front brake unless your slowing down. Use rear brake only for low speed maneuvers.

DON'T try and use a front brake during an O Turn, just don't be tempted. Back break and only back break, but you will need to use and modulate front and rear brake during an E Brake :)

hth

And Yes on a PCS cruise.

Edited by saj, 12 December 2013 - 09:20 PM.

• Fox likes this

#57 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Essentially don't use the front brake unless your slowing down. Use rear brake only for low speed maneuvers.

DON'T try and use a front brake during an O Turn, just don't be tempted. Back break and only back break, but you will need to use and modulate front and rear brake during an E Brake :)

Ahah This is what my instructor was leaning toward!
No front in turns ;)

I wonder if the tester would let me pass with a manoeuvre like these:

Also if your into Harley Davidson's, have you seen next years models?
A guy at my gym recently got one... would have to say AMAZING!!!

Have a look at this bad boy!

http://www.harley-da...wide-glide.html

#58 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

I think I need to clarify myself.

The front is great for washing off speed but you should still use the rear. The faster you go the more front and less rear, but as you slow down you're increasing the amount of rear. It made it sound like I was saying only use the front when slowing down.

Example pulling up to a traffic light, I'll use front brake initially before utilising the rear brake. There will be a point where it will be a majority of rear brake and just a little kick of front brake. A word of warning. Too much front brake with too little speed will see you and your bike fall over ;)

If you want to to come around with some pointers I'd be more than happy too, I just can't legally shadow you.

• Fox likes this

#59 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'm biased I don't like Harley's

I'd rather own this

triumph-thunderbird-2.jpg

• Fox likes this

#60 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thats nice!!!!

Ive been told HD's can be very unreliable and are over rated, but I'd have to say YES to one of these.

2014-harley-davidson-breakout-is-full-of

And thanks for the tips on the brakes, I'll go out on the weekend and give it a go. Trying to get heaps of practice in at the moment, so with you guys giving tips its good to try different things and see which way feels better/safer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users