Photo

New Aquarium In Rockingham

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Trekrider

Trekrider
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

I just noticed a new aquarium opening in Rockingham - it's in Nasmyth Road (just off Dixon Road) literally just round the corner from Tropigold. It's called 'Aquarium One' but it's not open yet - the sign out the front says it is Tropical and Marine. I had a look through the door and there seem to be a lot of tanks going in. The guy working inside said it would be open soon.

Not sure of the wisdom of the location - in a side street within a couple of hundred metres of Tropigold - most people would have to go past Tropigold to get there.

#2 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:18 PM

Will be interesting to see what its like when it opens up. IMO we need a bit more diversity down this end of the woods

#3 Trekrider

Trekrider
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

I drive past most days so will post when I see it's open.

#4 Trekrider

Trekrider
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

I went in and had a long chat to the owner today - he still plans on opening at the end of August. He probably won't be fully stocked at that time as that will take a couple of months. He was kind enough to give me the full tour including 'out the back' and he certainly has a very impressive setup. I won't go into details but he certainly has the best interest of the fish at heart.

The shop is going to be about 50 -60% marine with a lot of species not available anywhere else in Perth. At the moment he isn't looking to stock much in the way of Cichlids but that may change over time.

He seems to have a very good attitude to customer relationship - one of the reasons he has for opening the store is as a result of his experience as a customer himself.

He is keen to buy stock from local people so if you have fish to sell it would be worth talking to him.

I have told him all about the PCS so you may well hear from him on here in the future.

Given his obvious concern for both customers and fish I think this store is going to be well worth a visit.

#5 Trekrider

Trekrider
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

Latest update is that he will be opening end of September.

#6 Jenny

Jenny
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Trekrider @ Sep 12 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Latest update is that he will be opening end of September.

Hi, I am new to this forum and happy to be a part of the community. I was happy to read there is a new store opening in the area. I am hoping he will be stocking some of the better brands that we cannot get here. I dont mind the trip to Freo or vicinity, but would be a lot easier to drive local. Did you notice if he will be stocking Seachem products? I am also hoping he has a larger stock of plants.

#7 Trekrider

Trekrider
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Jenny @ Sep 12 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I am new to this forum and happy to be a part of the community. I was happy to read there is a new store opening in the area. I am hoping he will be stocking some of the better brands that we cannot get here. I dont mind the trip to Freo or vicinity, but would be a lot easier to drive local. Did you notice if he will be stocking Seachem products? I am also hoping he has a larger stock of plants.

Sorry, I can't answer that - we will have to wait and see smile.gif

#8 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hi Jenny and fellow southerners,

I guess if we all pop in and make it known what kinds of things we would like to buy, that might actually influence how the owner stocks the shop. So often people go into shops and say "that's crap" or whatever because they don't have what you want, but so often we don't give any feedback. I would like some plants and some reasonably priced quality products like water conditioners etc as well.

So if all the Rocko and K Town people get in there and ask for certain products, maybe the shop owner will come to the party smile.gif

Regards,

Donna

#9 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

Apparently open as of today...but still needs a bit of work done inside! tongue.gif

#10 bluehouse

bluehouse
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hi all, great to hear the new shop is finally open. Bad news though is that Tropigold is closing down mid November. So maybe this new shop will do o.k. since the main opposition is going.
reagrds
Linda

#11 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

Hi all,

I went in and bought some really healthy Hillview Aquaria plants that Aquarium One are selling for $3.50....I was happy. New plants come in tomorrow. The roots were growing out through the pot and I had no trouble planting them. No rare plants though, just your aqarium weeds, but very beautiful.

Talked to the owners of Tropigold again today and they are relieved to be closing business, they have no regrets. I bought some lovely rummy nose tetra from Tropigold.

No one has mentioned Rocky Reef which is on Dixon Road, they must be some competition.

Anyway, the new shop is stocked to the roof with Aqua One products. Tanks are full of tetra at the moment, but there is a spattering of cichlids, however, the more hardy varieties.

Again, I guess it is up to us to go in and tell the owner what we want as hobbyists.

Regards,

Donna

#12 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

G'day All,

made my initial visit to Aquarium One recently, great setup with lots of tanks, and some good prices.
More cichlids on the way when bigger tanks come online. Nice people, had a good chat and they are interested in hearing from local breeders and those with Adult fish needing new homes.
Some nice Marine setups, and yes Donna, I hope Rocky Reef and A' One will be able to compete for that Marine Market and both survive.

cheers
Mudjimba

#13 Jenny

Jenny
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

Goodmorning all, I haven't been so lucky. sad.gif Ive called several times this week, and haven't found him open. I must get out and about too early. LOL. Last time doors were open but security door locked, so at least I got a peak inside. Looks quite nice to me Hopefully will have time today to check out the store. I was hoping he would sell Seachem products, and Eheim as well. Must ask if he will in the future.
The owner of Tropigold told me last year he didn't stock those brands because no one down here would pay the price. Bit off putting. So I just continue to travel to Vebas as I need to replenish what I like using. Of course while there tend to buy anything else I need. And more often than not something I don't need. LOL
Good luck to the new shop anyway, I hope it all works well for him.
Travelling to Vebas for a new filter this week (as they are on special) and I am certain I had my photo taken in Rockingham road. There goes the saving on the filter!! dry.gif

#14 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

Darn cameras. I am certain the police are giving us the illusion of being policed through all this traffic stuff. The fact is, women and children are still being murdered after going to the police for help, and stolen credit cards are still being used in places where there are security cameras and it doesn't get followed up!!

Don't panic though, they are on to hoons and speeding. We can all sleep safe tonight.

I have been in and bought a few more things. I am sure the owner will be open to getting stock in if hobbyists request it. I go to Vebas as well for most things however.

We will just have to wait and see how it all evolves.

Regards,

Donna

#15 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

Edited..

Off topic, well the original one anyway.

Col

#16 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Maybe this whole topic should have been shifted to "Off the Wall" in the first place. Then none of it would be "off topic" , just "off the wall".

It's not technical to begin with. biggrin.gif

Regards,

Donna

#17 marie90

marie90
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi there guys
I work at aquarium one with Kevin and Kerry (owners) so I thought I might as well make a little post.
Atm the store is not fully stocked. Not even close, thats why we havent advertised alot because they dont want to disappoint.
When they bought the store over 7 months ago, they had no idea that tropigold was around the corner, nor that they were closing down.
Kevin does want to have a large variety of marine fish and we have another batch of marines come through last week but wont be out into the main tanks in the front until this weekend so there should be roughly double-triple the amount he has at the moment. This is because he has his own quarantine area at the back of the shop. We should also be receiveing a batch of tropicals some time this week and will have to go through quarantine aswell and wont be out the front till about 2 weeks.
At the moment we only has your basic tropicals like platys, mollies, angels, sharks, tetras, danios, tiger barbs, loaches, silver dollars, gouramis etc... and a few small cichlids. He plans on having a variety of cichlids and malawis soon.
He has a nice selection of marines such as clowns, damsels, royal grammas, wrasses, shrimp, hawke fish etc.
He would definately prefer and has been trying to get a hold of local breeders because he cares so much about his fish, he doesnt want them to have to be imported on planes because of the stress it causes. He would also prefer to buy from local breeders who he can get to know because its not a franchise, its a personal business, so locals are the way to go where he can meet them face to face. So if you have any fish that you want to swap/sell/trade then definately go down and have a chat with kevin.
He also has a variety of aquatic plants (roughly 15, maybe 20 varieties) that sell for 3.50 each, except your sword plants at 4.50 each.

And he does have some seachem products, but does not stock the whole range because they weren't sure if people would buy them, but like you have said, if we dont have anything then tell us and we will try and get it in for you. We are here to help you guys out too so if we dont have what you need and cant help you, then we arent doing our service.

We are open 7 days a week. 10am - 5pm (Please note that atm the store may not be open till 5pm everyday because most days there is only Kevin running the store and he is still trying to set everything up out the back and cant do everything at once. Sorry for any inconvenience)

The address is 1/4 Nasmyth Road (off dixon road), Rockingham
Phone Number : 9528 7941

So please come down and check us out and give us any feedback you think we need.
And feel free to email me any queries that you have.
Thankyou,
Marie

#18 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info Marie,

hope all goes well for you all and look forward to seeing the shop evolve. Great shop, friendly service and Welcome to the forum.

cheers

#19 Warby

Warby
  • Validating

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

I know its a bit of an old post now but just thought i'd add that i popped in the other day (I stop in at least 3-4 times most weeks on my way home from work, or during my lunch break if im bored heh) and kev is getting rid of most of his marine stuff in favour of more tropicals and in particular cichlids.. I picked up a couple of nice bolivian butterflies, couple of clown loaches and a few nice baby tropheus while i was there.. great store and kev is great to deal with, like others have said he cares a great deal about the fish and knows what he's talking about -- not just about the $$ like alot of the pet stores.. well worth the visit if/when you get a chance

#20 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

It's definitely coming on.....he even has some apistogrammas in (AC) stock smile.gif As warby said, the marine tanks are all but gone, just a bit of stock here and there, prices negotiable I believe.

Lots of other stock and tanks around the shop. I see the plants are being moved to their own tanks (I'm excited about that).

Regards,

Donna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users