Photo

HELP ~Peppermint Bristlenose ~ HELP

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TheWiz

TheWiz
  • Banned

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

My colony of peppermints have all of a sudden developed a film over their eyes and body, the female has what appears to be a clear bag like thing near the anus. It looks like what mouldy fish food looks like.
They're all huddled in the top corner of the tank with their noses out of water.
I've got Aquarium Science Aqua Blue and Aquarium Science Fungus & Finrot Remedy.
Are either of these any good or does anyone alse have any suggestions?
Please Help ASAP as I'm very worried

#2 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

Very sorry to hear Andy :cry:
Ive done a bit of research for you. check out this site http://www.klsnet.co...s/fishchart.htm

I believe it could Trichodina which is a cloudy appearance on the body and should be treated with salt. Im not sure if this is it. But it could be. Try a google search and type in the symptoms of your fish.

HTH

Craig

#3 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Doesn't sound good at all Wiz.

I would get some proper advice and quickly.

Not sure salt with your catties is a good idea :?

Cheers
Brett

#4 TheWiz

TheWiz
  • Banned

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

thanks that mite help..

#5 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

Hi Wiz

I would salt at 1tbsp to 10G, increase the temp to 84, and also use some melafix. Concerned that the anal pouch might be indicative of some internal parasite at work - not sure if hexamita is something BNs can catch.

I would do as Ive said and add more air to the water. If no improvement after two days then hit it with an antibacterial. You could go (and I would) straight with the antibacterial as well as those mentioned above. If you medicate then remove any charcoal from your filter.

HTH

Pete[/b][/u]

#6 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

My concern here is that the fish have developed a generalised disease very rapidly. Usually a bacterial problem to the skin will start out on smaller areas and then spread.
This sounds very severe and acute.
Have you made any changes to the tank? Added anything to the water? Cleaned the filer recently? Added any new fish without qurantine? etc etc
It sounds liek its some sort of water issue that is affecting the whole body at the same time. The film you see may be increased mucous production due to some sort of genralised irritation. The sticking close to the surface indicates that the water is low in O2, contains some sort of toxin or the fishes gills are becoming clogged/damaged with something so theyre struggling to extract O2 from the water.

Good luck with this one.

Mike

#7 TheWiz

TheWiz
  • Banned

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

:cry: :cry: Tried all methods and unfortunately. Lost the fish. Water was perfect and lots of air movement. Added treatment and salt. Found them dead yesterday. :cry: :cry: A very sad day

#8 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

Dear Wiz,

I am really sorry about your fish, but suspect it was a foregone conclusion given how quickly they became ill.

If you found my first post unhelpful, then I apologise for that. My point is that in these situations you really have hours, not days. Getting information via bulletin boards is generally too slow and unreliable.

I would be interested in knowing if you found the cause of the problem. Like Mike, I was struck by the acuteness of the sickness and was leaning more towards a toxin than an infection. It is unusual for infections to attack all fish in a group similtaneously with fatal consequences.

Brett

#9 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

That sucks Wiz.

I assumed there wasnt and isnt any way a poison could have entered the water - fly spray, etc?

#10 ObliVioN99

ObliVioN99
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

I need help fast, the exact same thing is happening.
First off I already lost 20 of my peppermints( all of mine sad.gif )! 5cm... and a colony of normal adult bristlenose, and now my baby albinos are dying!

I baught multi cure stuff and another treatment but they'r not working! I need help fast, only about 15 albinos left.

They have a clear kind of fungus on them, not whitespot though.

I found 1 pepperment dead, then I done a water change ofr 1/4 of a 2ft tank. Then added a pot. Then the next day 5 died, then the next all were gone.

Now my albinos are dying at a rapid rate!
So what should I do?
Need help fast. and if it happens again, what can I do wen i first notice it

#11 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi mate,

I find it hard to believe that the fish are just dieing without reason.

You said you added a pot after 1 died, now several have perished?

Did the first pepperment have the same symptoms? If no, I would remove the pot asap, and do a 50% waterchange daily and increase the air circulation in the tank. Make sure you take a water sample to your LFS for testing and get their advice tomorrow.

Regards

Daniel

#12 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Is that 20 Peppermints in a 2' tank?
May be a water quality issue?

Mike

#13 ObliVioN99

ObliVioN99
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

the first peppermint just died, and all the other peppemints had their head 1/2 out of the water. But i know its not the pot, the same thing is happening with another tank (albinos).

should I try adding salt and a heateR? water is around 23-24 atm. A bunch of yellows in the same tank, but they'r not effected by this disease.

I cant go 2 the lfs because I dont have a car atm, so what should I do.

#14 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

Sounds similar to Wiz problem...head out of the water may indiacate a water problem...either becuase the water is toxic, low in O2 or the fishes gills are affected and they cant get enough O2 from the water so they are trying to get into a spot where they can obtain more O2...maybe well aerated water will help...pop in a bubbler or two?

Mike

#15 ObliVioN99

ObliVioN99
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

Ok so I should add lots of air, and maybe a heater on 28c ?

Its strange, only the bristlnose get effected. They'r in a tank with yellows but theyr fine.

Wat about salt? should I add any? Iv got the sea salt stuff

Also wen they peppermints died, they had a clear film all over their body... like a fungus thing

I done the water change 2 days ago, since then they'v been dying alot more rapidly (albinos).

#16 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

My understanding is (and i dont profess to be an expert in fish health) is that some cats can be a bit of an indicator species to a water quality issue...they dont seem to have the type of scales that offer as much protection as other fish ie they appear to be a bit sensitive.
I would go back to first principles...ie improve water quality...do a water change, increase O2 in the water if possible. Im not sure about the effects of salt on cats, someone else here may have a better idea.
Check your water ie ammonia, ph etc...if this is out it is toxic stuff.

mike

#17 odaski

odaski
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

Hello
I would test your water parameters and also take fish to vet for diagnostics to see if u can get some idea what is killing your fish. Give Morley Vet a call, there's a vet interested in fish health (might do it for free). Personally I have found bn's to be sensitive to methylene blue.
Wish u and fish all the best
Cindy

#18 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

Im a vet interested in fish health smile.gif but Im no expert.
Mike

#19 ObliVioN99

ObliVioN99
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:44 PM

I ran all the tests, water is perfectly fine! ph around 7.5, amonia and nitrate levels fine. So its not the toxicity of the water thats killing them, its the fungal disease. Im not using methaline blue, Im using the green stuff.

By the morning theyll probably be dead though sad.gif , so I cant take it to the vet...

Added alot more oxygen, but It might be too late, theyr still dying rapidly, only about 6 left.

When I had the peppermints, I put 3 in a bucket, added lots of oxygen, and some treatment, but that didnt help :S their heads were out of the water alot, struggling for air.

And with the tank I tried adding the green treatment stuff but that didnt help. It was the multi cure, for funguses and diseases.

Thanks all for your help, I really appriciate it

#20 TheWiz

TheWiz
  • Banned

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

i used fungus treatment and sea salt and saved half of them..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users