Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Clownfish can be.

#3 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

so do seahorses but the challange is not to get the adults breeding its feeding the babies and keeping them alive.

#4 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

I believe that seahorse larvae need to be fed copepods and that is why it is hard to raise them. Copepods are apparently hard to mass culture.
Jeromy

#5 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

there are actually quite a few that will breed, everything from your standerd Clowns to dottyBacks And most cardianals
There are a couple of local guys i know of that are setting up large sheds etc. to breed these fish as captive breed are generally tougher and will fetch a higher price, as i was going to untill i worked out the price for setting it all up rolleyes.gif

#6 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

the seahorse babies actually need alge and rotifers as a first food, culturing them isn't hard, culturing the amounts that is required is the hard part.

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:59 AM

Although I have cultured seahorses on Rotifers the better food is actually copepods. Which can be mass cultured and are being done by Mick in Kalbarri following on from his very successful PhD project at Curtin.

Most marine fish can be induced to spawn in a captured environment. Just define what a tank is for me... I consider anything that isn't a pond a tank. There fore I have breed estuary cod, mangrove jack, mullet, milkfish, rabbitfish etc in tanks. Some of them were just big tanks (200m3).

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users