Need Help Setting Up Marine Tank...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shankd

Shankd
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hey all, just after a bit of advice...

I'm looking to set up a relatively simple maintenance marine tank (if such a thing exists) for a friend of mine. He has a 130L half circle curved glass tank ready to go, and cos he has kids (couple young'ns) going to look at just a few clowns and anemones (cant spell). just wondering what kind of filter etc i should look at to make maintenance easy for them?

any help appreciated, cheers,
aaron

#2 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

i may be shot down but if your after anemones you will need a full reef condition tank so check out http://www.masa.asn.au. There is no right or wrong but these people will send you in the right direction.

#3 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

If you're going to keep the stock levels low like u have mentioned (pair of clowns, anemone etc) then you'd prob get away with just using the built-in top filter (assuming it has one based on the tank description). The only other thing to do is add a heap of live rock and water flow/circulation. A single Tunze nano-stream 6025 for instance. With my tanks I tend to go for 20-25% of the total tank volume in live rock. So 30KG in a 130L tank should do the trick.

The only other thing to research further is the light requirements for the anemone. I'm pretty sure I've read that they will do fine in low-light conditions but don't count me on it! smile.gif I've also seen them kept under standard T8 tubes in the local stores but it'll come down to whether this is good for them longterm. They can be tempremental lil buggers!

Ongoing maintenance-wise just the usual water changes as per any tank whether it be fresh or marine.

Dazza

#4 Shankd

Shankd
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

yeh it has an on-top filter, but the entire hood was stuffed, so got the unit for very cheap. ie $150 down from like, 800 i think it was... and mate is making an aluminium hood. might look at an internal filter. any recomendations? its mainly for his girls, and he has looked after my 6x3x2 before, and an intelligent guy hehe. i will have a look around, maybe go to a few LFS's and see what they recommend... thanks guys

cheers,
aaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users