Photo

35l nano reef

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

i have been thinking of getting a nano reef for a long time now and since the forum has gone nano crazy laugh.gif i decided to jump in, it is two weeks old and will be getting more live rock this week or the next.
here is a bit of information about the tank.

salinity: sg-1.023

PH: 8.3

dimention: 45 x 25 x 30cm

substrate: aragonite

water movement: 1500 l/h resun powerhead

filtration: live rock

heating: 25w submesible heater

lighting: 12" single tube reflector-8w (temporary)

the set up

close up of some live rock

a live rock hich hicker

sorry about the photography
i will keep you posted on progress

#2 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

Thats amazing! biggrin.gif So your using live rock as the filtration? can this be used with a Fish only system, considering you have a protein skimmer as well?

So seems like Craig vs Alec in nano tank technology biggrin.gif

Taking bets! Odds are $1.10 for Craig $1.10 for Alec lol laugh.gif (just joking not a actually bet, just to be safe biggrin.gif )

Also what is that little hitch hicker? a Shrimp?

#3 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

(NicholasC)
So seems like Craig vs Alec in nano tank technology biggrin.gif

Taking bets! Odds are $1.10 for Craig $1.10 for Alec lol laugh.gif (just joking not a actually bet, just to be safe biggrin.gif )

lol laugh.gif

Great looking tank alec, i really like it.

It should look really good when you get some more live rock.

What fish do you plan for it? Clownfish?

I think the 'hitch hiker' is a little saltwater snail! Good score tongue.gif

Great work!

#4 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

lol laugh.gif

the hich hickeris acctualy a scollop or a clam thing, if you look closely you can see where the two shells meet. i just found it lying there one day, must of fallen off the rock.

i am planning to get a percula clownfish. i decided not to get a anenome but i will bug a torch coral and see if it hosts.

i will probably get some more live rock from vebas on sunday

#5 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Sounds good.

I got my 18" light from www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au

its 2x36W compact fluorescent! very bright.

But unfortunately they no longer stock them, but may get them back soon smile.gif

Keep us posted!

#6 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

i got some more live rock today, costing me a fortune sad.gif

i got an extra 4kgs

i'll post up some pics after the aquarium clears up, i think i went a bit overboard on the live rock :oops:

#7 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

can't wait to see the pictures, i am buying some live rock soon it is $15 a kg at my LFS and i have a 2.5 foot tank. So 5kg should do it.

#8 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

(NicholasC)
can't wait to see the pictures, i am buying some live rock soon it is $15 a kg at my LFS and i have a 2.5 foot tank. So 5kg should do it.

I would suggest getting more rock than that. 5kg in a 2.5 tank is going to look very bare. More rock is better for filtration, hiding, appearance, etc, even if you are just keeping fish (e.g. dwarf lionfish tongue.gif). Go to vebas or somewhere and pick up a box of live rock (i saw a fu manchu and some other dwarf last time i went too). Will cost you about $140 for 15kg or so, but it will be worth it in the long run. If you can get it from someone else (another reefer) you can pay about half that. If you dont get enough live rock or dont cycle it properly you are going to end up with a lot more headaches and money spent down the track (it'd only take one dead lionfish to offset the cheaper rock price).

Remember, the more you read the better.

#9 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

in my aquarium which 1.5 feet i have 7kgs and i think it is just enough
but ypurs it is going to be fowlr it mite look good bare, its you preference

#10 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

can you post up a picture of what your aquarium looks like? I would like to see what 7kgs looks like.

#11 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

here are the pics

the next thing that will be going in next will be the cleaners, the hermit crabs and the snails in abut two weeks time

p.s. the scollaps where dead when i got the live rock laugh.gif

#12 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

HUGE scallops btw

At my LFS there tank with live rock in it had nice pieces of live rock with like anemone type soft coral growing out of it, would they be selling it or just put it in the tank for show?

Also i might have a go at making my own live rock, it seems that all you need to keep it alive is a strong power head, heater and good lighting. I have access to some dead coral so if i follow the instructions on the net i should be able to get live organisms to live on them to
biggrin.gif

not promising anything yet but if i manage to get it to shop quality would anyone pay $12 for a kilo?

#13 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

i would buy it if it where cheaper than other shops like $8 a kilo

i think i'm too impatient to make my own live rock laugh.gif

#14 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

Do some shops sell it for $8 a kilo? well that puts a hole in my plans of backyard live rock domination sad.gif

mabey i might have to think up some propaganda plans and "drop" them "accidentally" in the LFS to show my prices are better haha

Did you chose your LR or did the person just pack up random pieces?

#15 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:05 PM

yeh you chose them

not sure if some shops sell it for $8 a kilo

#16 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

Found a brighter light yet alec?

what fish do you plan on getting?

#17 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

no havn't found a brighter light yet,

not 100% sure on the fish at the moment but most likely a percula clown but i am also thinking about some gobies or a bicoloured blenny. The fish won't be added for at least another three weeks sad.gif

p.s. if any one has a light suitable for the tank and that they don't need please pm me.

#18 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

I would wait atleast 4-6 weeks personally.

:roll:

#19 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

(pleco4me)
I would wait atleast 4-6 weeks personally.

:roll:

yeh probably right

#20 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

(NicholasC)
Also i might have a go at making my own live rock, it seems that all you need to keep it alive is a strong power head, heater and good lighting. I have access to some dead coral so if i follow the instructions on the net i should be able to get live organisms to live on them to
biggrin.gif

not promising anything yet but if i manage to get it to shop quality would anyone pay $12 for a kilo?

Seems like it could be a Homer Simpson scheme laugh.gif

Heres the problems with the scheme:

1. Aquaculture of live rock is currently not allowed (http://www.fish.wa.g...p196/fmp196.pdf). (maybe thats only if you leave it in the ocean, so be sure to doublecheck)
2. Properly seeded live rock takes something in the order of 5 years
3. No-one is going to pay the same amount as at a fish shop for rock that does not have the same diversity or quality assurance as a LFS
4. You know you need to feed the live rock right?

That being said, if you are building a reef, you can use non-live rock as a base, then cap it with good quality live rock. The coraline algae, and other marine life will eventually colonise the live rock, but its not as good as adding the same total amount of live rock (you wouldnt be able to keep as many fish for a while longer for example. Also, you may get less diversity).

If you're seriously interested in perhaps making a profit out of something fish related, I'd suggest finding a cheap large tank setup (scratches are fine), and pick a species that is relatively rare that you like and start breeding it. If you optimise costs you could make some money out of it, though i'm not suggesting huge amounts tongue.gif. If you buy adult (pairs or colonies, you should be able to pick up a bargain here if your patient), you could be selling fry within a matter of months. Just dont count on being able to make money off it though (i.e. still make sure you'd enjoy your fish). Though why do I have the feeling that any 'business venture' isnt quite thought out and your say.... 15 or so, lol. No offense intended btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users