8x2x2.5 reef tank

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

G'day

Haven't posted many updates of this tank. It has come along way in the 10 or so months it's been set up for (unlike my photgraphy skills!). ABout 150kg worth of live rock. I'm not running a sump with this tank as it wasn't drilled and their is limited space beneath. I haven't run into any troubles yet. Also keeping a couple harder to keep Tangs with no problems.

This coral is about the size of a soccer ball when it is fully extended. Has grown about 4x its original size in the 6 months I've had it!

A smallish hammer coral, about 25cm across.

My big hammer that sits in the centre of the tank. Probably about 45cm across! quite massive. My maroon clown loves to hide amongst its tentacles.

Morph - colour is a bit off, these are BRIGHT red.

Jansen's wrasse - not really a regular amongst reef tanks due to their destructiveness. But I love this guy very robust fish will eat out your hand and attack the algae magnet. I also have a large birdnose wrasse and a Moon wrasse, so it's a pretty rough and tumble type reef. Always something to watch.

Alex

#2 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

Full tank

#3 tankhog

tankhog
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

alex
absolutely beautiful tank
looking at getting a 8x30x30 myself but freshwater only and after seeing that im going to try just that bit harder
cheers
paul biggrin.gif
p.s. since you have no sump whats your filtration

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:01 PM

I have two large protein skimmers that hang off the back of the tank. You can see the two collection cups on the right side of the tank. As well as 150kg of live rock.

#5 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

Even no cannister or internals? Nice! How many fish in total?

#6 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

It's called a berlin system. Plenty of skimming and plenty of live rock. Also have plenty of water movement supplied by a few internal pumps as well as the returns from the skimmers.

I have heaps of fish in there not that you can see it in the pics. 25 + some quite large.

#7 tankhog

tankhog
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

hey alex
any chance i can come and have a look please
paul

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

Sorry mate, nothing personal I just don't like people off the net coming to my house. If you want to see some nice reef set ups go to Ocean reefs in Wangara.

#9 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

Is the top pic an elegance coral? How long did it take to get that size (quite a lot bigger than i've seen).

For the red coralmorph, try using some postprocessing, or custom white balance with a sheet of paper under your lights (you half press the trigger). If you can shoot raw, you can usually get raw editors that come with your camera (or dl for free) to sort out the colour balance (you need to shift some of the blue out). You can do it without raw, but raw has more colour and is generally easier to adjust the colour.

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:49 PM

It is indeed an elegance coral. In 6 months it got this big. It has grown alot in the last 2 months since moving it to a higher point in the tank. All the corals are loving the 400watt halides!

#11 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

I used to keep a 6 foot marine tank, I spent alot of time and money to keep the water perfect but I got out of it because of the environmental destruction this hobby causes in the areas where the fish are collected and could not stand losing perfectly healthy looking fish every few weeks, I found out that this was happening because most fish being sold around Australia were imported from Countries where fisherman use cyanide to catch them.

Can you get MAC fish in Australia now? as I know these are supposed to be caught using enviro friendly techniques and cyanide free.

#12 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

hey dude what wattage are the MH lights???

#13 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

(Peckoltia)
It is indeed an elegance coral. In 6 months it got this big. It has grown alot in the last 2 months since moving it to a higher point in the tank. All the corals are loving the 400watt halides!

#14 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

sorry my bad

#15 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

I have to say i cannot wait for my tank now! biggrin.gif
Now your teasing us lol

It is a amazing tank, 8 foot of marine life and corals it must have burnt your bank account to shreads!

Can you please take some photos of the back of it, like the proteins and your sump etc?

#16 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

Nic, if you read the above carefully you would see he doesnt have a sump :roll:

#17 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

great tank ....maybee 1 day i might have 1 in my lounge to look at

Brad biggrin.gif

#18 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

No sump just two large hang on skimmers.

Only dosing with calc now no reactor. Corals don't seem to mind. Coraline algae is going nuts too, pretty hard stuff to get off your glass too.

#19 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

(Den)
I used to keep a 6 foot marine tank, I spent alot of time and money to keep the water perfect but I got out of it because of the environmental destruction this hobby causes in the areas where the fish are collected and could not stand losing perfectly healthy looking fish every few weeks, I found out that this was happening because most fish being sold around Australia were imported from Countries where fisherman use cyanide to catch them.Can you get MAC fish in Australia now? as I know these are supposed to be caught using enviro friendly techniques and cyanide free.

Same reason I left it well behind and focussed on the wonderful variety cichlids have to offer.

#20 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

I have lost 2 fish, one was to predation and the other to jumping out. You should not be losing healthy fish every few weeks.

I don't think that cyanide based catching is used anywhere in aus now. I know it is still used in parts of asia though.

Cichlid tanks are cool. But once you've kept a decent reef. A cichlid tank just seems very dull and lifeless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users