Praecox Rainbows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

Well I have ventured into the world of rainbows. I got a group of 4 male and 2 female Praecox rainbows from Syd. I also had the pleasure of spending most of the day looking around at Syds fish. I hope I didn’t overstay my welcome Syd!
I put them into a 3x2x2 tank until I remove my Chocolate cichlids from the main tank as the female's would surley be eaten. I also placed some java fern in with them. This morning I removed 20 or so eggs and placed them in another tank to hopefully hatch out.
I have now made up an artificial spawning mat using as Syd suggested a ring of airline with woolen strands hanging down from it. I will see which they prefer.
I am not sure how they will go in the main tank with the angels and other fish as they will most like eat the eggs, however if I have some success with this batch I may look at getting some more tanks just for rainbows.
I would also be interested in those other rainbows I took a shine to Syd when are selling some.

My Killis are also doing well, however my female looks a bit sulky today, staying in the top corner of the tank. Again thanks to Syd for the advice about the harder water. I will continue to do small water changes to keep the hardness up with the Peat substrate.

Tony

#2 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

hey tony
I got a few of these fish from the pet shop a while ago and i wouldnt mind having a go at trying to breed them.
How can you tell the differences between sexes?
Can you post some pics of your tank?

cheers chris

#3 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

Hey Chris

Sexing is easy, Males have red fins, deep body, more colour and are larger. Females have lighter orange fins and more selnder plus are generally smaller.

I will have to set up a page to post photos but will send you a pic via email. The tank they are in is only a temp holding tank.

Tony.

#4 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

Hey Tony
I breed praecox at home (got mine from Syd as well).
Ive had good success with using microworms as food, you dont get heaps through but you do get some.
Ive found them to be really slow growers (well compared to cichlids anyway). This could be the food though.

Mike

#5 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Noddy

I have plenty of micro worms, which I use for my Cichlids. I thought that they might be a bit big for the rainbows, but thats better for me if they can eat the worms.

Tony.

#6 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:54 AM

Well unfortunatly it looks like most if not all the eggs are fungus covered.
Not sure if they are just infertile or if my water or conditions are not right.
I did not use any chemicals such as Meth Blue, not sure if this added to the problem, will see in a couple of days if any hatched.

Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users