No replies to this topic

#1 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

Common Name: Lemon Cichlid
Scientific Name: Neolamprologous leleupi
Size (cm) M/F: 11/8
Habitat: Rocky outcrops with nearby sandy areas.
Temperature Range: 24C - 26C
Min. Tank Requirements: Due to the high conspecific aggression (displayed by males), only large aquariums (250+L) are suitable to house a group of N. leleupi. Smaller tanks are adequate for a single pair (100L). They must be provided with rocky structures, including caves and inclined surfaces. Sand is the best substrate.
Food: Sera flora provides a great basic diet. Regular supplements of brine shrimp, Daphnia sp. and similar micro-invertebrates also help to keep the fish in good condition. Colour enhancing foods tend to darken the fish; subsequently they lose their bright yellow appearance.
Breeding: Males are very aggressive towards other males and "non-participating" females. I have also found that if the aquarium decor is altered, the pair will nearly always turn on each other. Unfortunately, unless the defeated fish is removed promptly, death usually occurs. Once a compatible pair has been formed from a group, all other N. leleupi must be removed. My pair spawn every few weeks. They do not make great step-breeders in my opinion, as they pick off the youngsters quite readily. Only a few extremely quick/lucky/smart fry reach juvenile status. Spawns generally number around 60+, most of which will survive to "sale size" if they are removed from the parents. Mine spawn in a shell, so removal is easily facilitated. I simply remove the shell (keeping it immersed) and place into an icecream container with tank water. I then replace the shell with one of near identical charateristics. Alternately, you can gently "flush" the shell and wash the fry into a container and return the empty shell to the parents if you wish.
Temperament/Notes: As previously mentioned, this species is very aggressive. Injured fish must be tended to immediately. Generally speaking, they do not show overly aggressive tendencies towards heterospecifics. However, this will largely be dependent on the size of the accommodation. I have read that N. leleupi should be fed on foods high in carotene to maintain their colour. However the diet as described above keeps my fish looking their best. It should be added that mine were German imports, whereas many I have seen for sale are much paler and not nearly as attractive. It has also been stated somewhere that fry should not be raised over dark substrate...I cannot comment on this as mine are all raised over a beach/lime sand substrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users