Photo

Bristlenose Bloat

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

you can feed deshelled cooked peas to help rememdy the problem...

My bad.

Thanks

#22 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

I just want to let you all know that not a single fish died.

A clown loach started showing signs off stress and lethargy but it ended up OK too.
All in all..happy days.

Edited by kassysimon, 03 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#23 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Just came across this post, glad they are improving.

By bloat, I presume you mean the fish are becoming distended in the abdomen, as it gets more severe their eyes start to bulge.

It is a form of multiorgan failure which results in fluid building up in the abdominal cavity, the end result of numerous conditions but most usually septiceamia. They may recover but tend to be permanently weakened by the illness. I doubt any treatment you can give at home would help.

Although bristlenose tend to be very hardy I have found them problematic in some of my tanks, but not others.

I have no hard evidence and have not really tested it to any extent, but my suspicion is they do less well in soil based tanks.

Many of my bristlenose in these tanks get fin rot initially, almost always on the lower aspect of the tail and pectorals and then go on to die or develop bloat. My hypothesis is that high levels of organics build up on the substrate (I rarely if even gravel vac these planted tanks) and this environment favors bacteria build up. Minor fin damage allows bacteria to get a foot hold.

Could just be coincidence

Cheers

Brett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users