A New Interest !

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hey guys biggrin.gif

Went up to Veba`s today and Pacco had some spectacular discus in stock. After seeing some of the other members discus in their setups first hand (Terry`s & Daves) it made me rethink about what direction my fishkeep will take in the future.

So today i added 4 discus to my 7ft. (cant remember the common name please help me out Pacco !!)

Here`s a few quick pics i got today biggrin.gif

Also bought the Back to Nature guide to Discus to help me learn more about these graceful fish !

Would love to hear from people currently breeding discus and seeing pics of others discus they have also (saw spilo today so show us your discus mate biggrin.gif)

Finally a message to Den biggrin.gif It aint entirely rift lake city here mate biggrin.gif

Cheers
Craig

#2 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

Some nice Discus. I loved keeping these a few years back.

Get the suckermouth cats out of there though, they might cause a little trouble later with sucking on the Discus slime coat.

They call Discus "Kings of the Aquarium" Pfffffft Bring on the Rifties
It aint entirely rift lake city here mate
Yes it is and dont you forget it.... biggrin.gif

#3 kuhni

kuhni
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

NOOOOOOOOO... Don't be scared, just look at some of these awesome cories and you'll get rid of this illness in no time.

http://planetcatfish...p?image_id=2349
http://planetcatfish...p?image_id=2484
http://planetcatfish...p?image_id=8800
http://planetcatfish...p?image_id=4937
http://planetcatfish...hp?image_id=538
http://planetcatfish...hp?image_id=745

#4 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:17 PM

Dont worry Kuhni biggrin.gif

I still have all my corys biggrin.gif

Craig

#5 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

hi craig
im definatly no expert on discus but i can tell you you have two different varieties. in picture 1 id say its a red spotted turquoise not 100% sur though and in picture 2 a red spotted spotted Snakeskin - you can tell its a snakeskin varient from the 14 bars on its body, id say youve got 2 of each there mate
heres some ive had over the years

#6 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for that Steve biggrin.gif

Whats the discus in the last pic ?

Cheers
Craig

#7 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

Finally a message to Den It aint entirely rift lake city here mate

Cheers
Craig
biggrin.gif Good to see things are changing, dont get me wrong I love rifties, but I like to see some more variety being kept in WA.

I was recently thinking of getting some discus, what a discus-ting thought to have, I jammed a scrubbing brush in my ear and washed my brain out with soap wacko.gif

If I eventually get some they will have to be a non hybrid/line bred strain.

The only discus hybrid I've seen that I really like is the Jack Wattley vertical barred strain.

#8 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

Awsesome looking Discus you got there Craig biggrin.gif.

Although i will have to agree with Aaron on the Suckermouth catties. Might be best to take them out. Just my 2c

Cheers
Kyle

#9 MrKrissKross

MrKrissKross
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:38 PM

I was checking them out at vebas on Saturday and they were being fed bloodworms at the time. They were going nuts for em. Some fantastic looking discus I might add. Congrats wink.gif

#10 spilo

spilo
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

nice discus craig almost bought one those blue diamond meself blink.gif here are some pics of my discus tank

and i'll be getting some checkerboards 'n solid yellows in a couple of weeks

cheers k

#11 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

Fantastic discus Kim biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Wow !

The 3rd & 4th pic down what discus are those and are you breeding any of them ?

Thanks for posting them up mate they are awesome !

Cheers
Craig

#12 spilo

spilo
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

thanks craig,the third pics is called a ' Masked Red Rose" and the fourth is a 'Vietnamese checkerboard' . there is a breeding pair in there but not interested in breeding them just want a display tank.currently theres 16 discus in the tank and i think i'll stop at a even 20 discus ohmy.gif . be careful craig there easy to get addicted to

cheers k

#13 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hey Kim biggrin.gif

You have spectacular discus mate and i believe you about the addiction thing as im already planning to get 4 more biggrin.gif

Have lots more questions but may start a new thread on those biggrin.gif

Cheers
Craig

#14 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

Got some of these today to eliminate they shyness issue with only having 4 juvies biggrin.gif

Cobalt blue discus

Thanks pacco biggrin.gif

Craig

#15 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (spilo @ Jul 15 2008, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks craig,the third pics is called a ' Masked Red Rose" and the fourth is a 'Vietnamese checkerboard' .

Yes, Vietnam has some very unique strains of Discus... been there myself and seen them all! biggrin.gif

There are 2 streets in Ho Chi Minh City that has only fish shops... around 50 shops in total... how would you feel walking down those 2 streets, and checking out every store?? haha!

#16 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

Craig

This link might be of interest to you. It has images and common names of 36 Discus strains. Enjoy: http://www.rockymoun...com/Gallery.htm

Cheers!
Kevin

#17 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

Thanks Kevin that had some great looking discus on the site !

Found out my new ones are in fact blue diamonds as cobalt blues have markings on the face and 9 bars.

Anyway these are what i wanted no matter what strain they are called biggrin.gif

Cheers
Craig

#18 newfish

newfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hi Craig
The pictures of your new discus and tank look fantastic. Discus are beautiful and interesting fish, mine have certainly sucked me in. I have a blue turq pair that have spawned twice in my discus display tank. I will give them one more practise run before moving them to a breeding tank. Fingers crossed.

I think you made a sound decision in purchasing some extra discus. I started with 4 in a 320L tank, they became much more confident once I added more discus. You may already be aware of this, but I have also found it best to add discus of roughly the same size to avoid adding additional stress to new fish. Mine also became more confident when fed live worms as opposed to the frozen worms or discus pellets they normally receive.

Good luck with them
Erica smile.gif

#19 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hi Erica biggrin.gif

I only just really noticed your post the other day on your discus when i done a search on discus on here (sorry) unsure.gif and must say im impressed with what you have biggrin.gif

Ive sat my laptop on my dinining table tonight and have been watching my discus , slowly and cautiously explore the tank in a tight group of 8 like timid children and it is fascinating biggrin.gif

Ive been reading obessively and did realise that 4 discus wasnt enough and thats why they wouldnt come out of hiding ! So i now have 10 !! all similar size too biggrin.gif

Would love to see more pics of your blue turqs biggrin.gif

What are you feeding your discus ?

Cheers
Craig

#20 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Scat @ Jul 20 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are you feeding your discus ?

LOL Craig... Erica has already mentioned what she feeds them! live worms! tongue.gif

One thing though.. Discus can become sick from eating too many worms.....so not too much too often!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users