Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Pcs Live Chat Room

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

Poll: Pcs Live Chat Room

Do you think a Live Chat Room would be useful / a good idea?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Nov 30 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm too busy to run a chatroom..!! tongue.gif

Too busy to chat in it too then? I doubt that wink.gif hehe

#22 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hmm.. maybe I can create and utilize msn or yahoo and create a room called "PCS Chat"? At the PCS's discretion of course... wink.gif

I have 2 servers at home running 24/7 and can keep the room open etc.. biggrin.gif

#23 S.OBrien

S.OBrien
  • Banned

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:14 AM

its honestly not that complicated... i mean... come on.. there are soo many quick chatrooms you can do that allow for administration.. and they are just simple HTML codes an admin could post up in a locked topic entitled "Live Chat" and it would work fine...

#24 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (S.OBrien @ Dec 1 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its honestly not that complicated... i mean... come on.. there are soo many quick chatrooms you can do that allow for administration.. and they are just simple HTML codes an admin could post up in a locked topic entitled "Live Chat" and it would work fine...

Feel free to PM me some examples.

Daz

#25 Fezz

Fezz
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

It has its ups and downs, im undecided.

Im all for it with general chit chat.

I like the fact it could be a good thing with such things as emergency help and quick easy questions answered.

But if there was a chat room, i personally would think that this would provoke less interest in posting on forums or threads. I know i rely on reading past threads and topics for answers to some of my questions and learn alot from others experiences.

I also think this would discourage people starting threads with questions and answers... therefore you would think this would be provoking the same questions asked over and over again. For instance im sure we have all seen questions like "How can i sex my electric yellows?" etc etc come up ALOT, but replying with info such as "see thead ...post 769 etc etc" or using the search feature on the forums overcomes this. If there was chat where obviously questions are asked, replies are posted and just discussed with members who are in the chat at that EXACT time.

So would the chat room be for general off the wall chat, or 24hr Help and discussions, or general fish related chat??

Just a few ideas in my opinion are worth thinking about.

Will this help the forum and members to mingle better, or discourage posting and activity on the boards.

1 undecided vote for me =S

what does everyone else think about that?

Cheers
-Ian

#26 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

Personally I dont think it will spell the end of posting things on the forums, as some people log on at different times and perhaps their question might not be answered during that time also the biggest online traffic will be the classifieds.

Having an online chat will help buyers and sellers quite a bit and reduce the amount of misunderstanding. Of course this would mean the seller might spend more time answering questions or repeated questions than he/she is willing to.

You raise a good point, what can be discussed or not discussed on the chat, this will lead to how will it be administered or moderated.

It has its pros and cons, but like most things, either we adjust to changes or the changes dont go anywhere and revert back to its original state. Like most changes, I seriously believe this chat needs some serious consideration whether it is to go ahead or not.

#27 fabcondo71

fabcondo71
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

I'd be great for newbies like me too gather info of you more experianced fishkeepers .
i say yep

#28 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Sooooooo what is happening with this? No? Yes? Maybe? Dunno? Dont care? biggrin.gif

#29 nathan88

nathan88
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

i think it will be a great idea .. like instead of waiting for some1's apinion you can just go in live chat and some 1 could help you straight away ... as for people being abusive ect ... who in there right mind would get abusive over fish anyway ?>?? lol not me.. but yeah if you could be able to mute people in chat that would be great .. im all for live chat .. well thats my 2cents worth thnx all nathan

#30 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

As some one who used to frequent a lot of chatrooms for a number of different sites people get abusive over many things these days. It is a shame but it is the way things go. Having mods/ops works well but people do not have the time to sit and watch all day and even with a group it is still hard.

It is a good idea but a lot of time/effort required to get up and running and maintain running.

As for replacing the forums I doubt it - still best to post classified posts as not everyone will be online 24/7 so miss out on hearing about fish/items and often would not be someone on capable of answering a question someone would have.

Ross

#31 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (rwillox @ Jan 17 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having mods/ops works well but people do not have the time to sit and watch all day and even with a group it is still hard.

True, but that's the same with forums, moderators dont read every posts and is online 24/7

QUOTE (rwillox @ Jan 17 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for replacing the forums I doubt it - still best to post classified posts as not everyone will be online 24/7 so miss out on hearing about fish/items and often would not be someone on capable of answering a question someone would have.

Totally agree, the chat would serve purely as a social "chatting" function

In any case I am sure some of us have already got each others msn, yahoo, skype details and are now conversing with each other lol

#32 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

I just noticed that there are 21 people in the Qld forum chat room and was wondering what the costs were to re-instate the chat room here (I have forgotten unsure.gif ). Would there be enough people interested to make it viable?

Andrea smile.gif

#33 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

Just making this thread re appear. I think this would make the PCS forum go ahead in leaps & bounds. There is plenty of ppl Ive now made friends with in this club and would like to chat to them now & again, But as I don't use MSN and hate facebook chat, I think this would be the place to catch up with mates. And its a pain to do it via PM and posting on the forums adds garbage to threads. Upping my post count unnecessarily smile.gif

So how about it guys,
Who's with me? smile.gif

#34 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Oct 14 2009, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how about it guys,
Who's with me? smile.gif

meeeee!

#35 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

Yep i am with you on this one AZ biggrin.gif

#36 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

i would be all over it like a fat kid on a cup cake!!!

( thats a yes for me )

Cheers
Steve Green

#37 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

I'm for it aswell but considering the strict moderation since we might have young kids visiting here, moderating a chatroom would be fairly difficult. unless we set up some bots, which will do the moderation for us or maybe have a scheduled chat once or twice a week so mods are around aswell?

but yeah chat room sounds good. I'll help set it up if needed.

#38 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:54 PM

Back in the early days of the forum we did have a chatroom............... made for some interesting conversations..... (Lungy) Those where the good old days wink.gif

I'd support it smile.gif

#39 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:43 AM

Im all for a chat room smile.gif

Craig

#40 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

PCS CM......... Your thoughts?

It looks like the members want a chat room, Ive seen one on another forum that had the swearing filters... That would surely make it easier.
We should be looking forward with the club, a chatroom is forward thinking IMO.
Get in before other forums fly past us making us look old!

Time for a chatroom & a new skin....Lets spunk the PCS up a bit wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users