Shark Attack Port Kennedy

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

i never said i had seen a GW in the water with me
Then I dont understand what was the purpose of your comment? might as well say I swam with a port jackson shark and it was fine. You can't compare your different shark species experieces with this man eating animal and use it to justify letting man eaters freely roam our metropolitan waters.

i just think as a human race we should adjust to the conditions not change the conditions to suit our needs
Twist I think your heart is in the right place but you must realise that you are alive and part of a thriving civilisation because people changed the world to suit our and your needs. We've made some mistakes but I think we are learning and improving.

Hope you all who disagree with me dont think Im getting stuck into you, we do have some major difference in opinion and I'm just trying to explain my angle as detailed as possible as I know most public opinion is against me due to so much media and scientific propaganda, so I have a harder job and need to rant longer to compete!, hope theres no hard feelings, I think we all have good intentions.

A kind word to those people who disagree with me, you can comforably know that I value your life more than a sharks life, and if I was forced to take a sharks life to save and protect your life and the lives of others, I would do so in a split second! thats why I think man eaters should be taken out immediately when they come into populated areas.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#22 RedCod

RedCod
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

it has already and will likely continue to hunt people for food

I don't think a Great White would actively go out and hunt humans for food. There's been a lot of research done on this and most agree that it's a case of mistaken identity.

http://www.elasmo-re...en_identity.htm

#23 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

did you read it properly redcod?

The article cleary states that mistaken identity is "repeated speculation" and really even if it is a fact what does it matter what the shark is thinking when it eats a person?

Nice point Redcod but I'm still waiting for one of these scientists to teach us all how to not to act like a seal! these shark people are a joke mate I wish you and the rest of society could see through their BS

Are you like the scientists trying to tell us its safe because we only get eaten because we look like seals, whats the difference white pointers regularly friggin eat people for Christs SAKE period!!

The shark mistaken identity "theory" is the exact same thing as saying :

Dont be alarmed at the AIDS virus people, continue with sharing suringes and have unprotected sex, apparently the aids virus mistakes humans for monkeys when it infects someone so if you come into contact with a carrier the chances of infection are minimal, just try not to act like a monkey.

Sorry but scientists and the gullible people they influence make me laugh sometimes! laugh.gif Boy our society is really in trouble!

#24 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

A good point Den but at the same time it's a perfect example of where people still take risks based on their own choice.

#25 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

Example... the doctor who was in New Zealand, fell down and died.. Should the mountain be flattened or demolished? The threat of accidents is still out there, still exist. It's still the climber's choice.

Sharks will always be prowling, if any swimmers go out into the ocean then they should know the risk. The risk of having a muscle spasm, the risk of being stung by jellyfish, the risk of being run over by a speed boat, the risk of a sea eagle mistaking them as food. Actually we are food in the eyes of predators.

If parents are willing to let their children swim out there, then they must bear the responsibility and risk of their child being attacked by sharks, stingrays or even jellyfish. The ocean will never ben 100% tamed or controlled by humans and we are silly to think we can.

I lived in an island when I was young, and just by going 10m from the beach, you an see a sheer drop into the ocean like a chasm, and believe me, there were sharks around. But I was little, and I thought I was invincible *chuckles*

#26 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

dazzabozza my point is that man eaters should be destroyed or electronically monitored when they come in to the metro area. My point is that people do not know the real risks of attack which is increasing and this is because of scientific speculation, people who twist facts, backed by media propaganda. These white pointer sharks are growing in population, and they know how to exploit a food source, the number of attacks will continue grow until we do something about it.

You all look at it as a few attacks a year on our metro beaches is acceptable, but for me 1 person is too many and we have a chance to prevent attacks with proper legislation backed by informed public knowledge. At this stage we are at where a man eating shark can eat a person in metro area and left to roam free, sorry but for me thats unacceptable.

Sazabi your comment, well, I feel some of it is completely out of context.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#27 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Dec 29 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point is that people do not know the real risks of attack which is increasing and this is because of scientific speculation, people who twist facts, backed by media propaganda. These white pointer sharks are growing in population, and they know how to exploit a food source, the number of attacks will continue grow until we do something about it.

You all look at it as a few attacks a year on our metro beaches is acceptable, but for me 1 person is too many and we have a chance to prevent attacks with proper legislation backed by informed public knowledge. At this stage we are at where a man eating shark can eat a person in metro area and left to roam free, sorry but for me thats unacceptable.

I agree with Den on this...

People say that it's "our" fault that we enter shark territory etc... but if a man-eater isn't hunted down and killed, how would you feel if one of your family members gets chomped on??

#28 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

One of the biggest concerns we all have is that she'll be alright. I dislike killing any animal regardless but when an animal gets a taste for human flesh it puts the shark on a different level. As with crocs man eating sharks should be removed to a place where they can do no harm to humans, now where that is who knows. Could be electronic alert as Den says, however if crocs had nowhere to be placed if they ate people, I can assure you there would be no question or doubt in anyones mind, they would be destroyed.
Many people say that we are in their domain and we have to face the consequences, I wonder what would have happened if their daughter was swallowed by a shark, would they have the same opinion. Its ok saying that the sharks mistake us for seals, but would you stop an attack if you had the ability or would you let someone die. If you were on hand and was witness to a great white just about to eat someone and you had the ability to stop it in its tracks, by the sounds of it most would let the shark have a snack and another family destroyed.
I really believe the argument is crazy, humans are the top of the food chain if you like, we have done a lot of wrong stuff, but we forget the good and we have to do all we can to protect our own regardless if its a shark, a crazed gunman or a nutcase dictator like Mcgabe (wrong spelling I am sure), we have to make the right decision and that is the protection of human life.

#29 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (fourdapostle @ Dec 29 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. If you were on hand and was witness to a great white just about to eat someone and you had the ability to stop it in its tracks, by the sounds of it most would let the shark have a snack and another family destroyed.

Of course if we were on hand and were able to stop a attack that was guaranteed to happen then yes, I believe most sane people would, however there is a large difference between put a round in a sharks that has got your babies head, and killing a shark that "may" have killed somebody or that "may" kill somebody because it is in the metro area, that is just senseless killing out of fear, yes sharks roam the metro area, I believe there was even more spotted to day, should we have killed that one as well? just because people are afraid, we than would have senselessly killed an animal that did no wrong, it was left alone and it just kept swimming and there was no hassles.

#30 silly

silly
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

i think it was mistaken identity,
snorkelling with fins on makes you look like a injured seal (ie thrashing about on the top of the water)
fact that there are a heap of seals which inhabit the island around cockburn and warnbro sound make it understandable for a great white to make the mistake.
it is unfortunate that these things happen but what can we really do about it?? Killing them isnt going to help as how can anyone determine which shark it was?? great whites are oppurtunistic feeders just like most animals in the world. If an oppurtunity presents itself they will take it. There are alot of sharks around that area this time of year as pink snapper have come in to breed. How can we tell which G.W it was?

As for getting a taste of human flesh? I dont think the shark saw Mr Guest as a "human" rather as a seal so the shark couldnt tell the difference between the two.
Dont know what the solution can be but i guess you just have to try reduce the risk of getting attacked....

Obviously i'm no shark expert but these are my thoughts based on my experience

#31 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

great debate , fantastic points by both sides , but ....................... if you really want it killed Den , i'd be keen as mustard to go fishing and catch the bastard!!!!

If you can find a boat , rods , skipper and fuel . i'll bring a book on catching sharks , 2 packs of winnie gold and carton on Jim Beam and Dry , 2 packs of chilli flavoured potato chips, 4 bags of beef jerky.

and i'm dinkum mate .

adopt the attitude "IF IT'S TO BE , IT'S UP TO ME"

never know we might catch some other good fish and have a laugh as well.

I dont care to join the argument of who's right and who's wrong , I just love fishing and i'd been keen to catch a man eater that was stalking the locals , put a hole in it and tell everyone down the pub. Some times i feel we are going soft Den , but most people need a "couple of spoonful's of concrete and tuffin the hell up"

Cheers
Steve Green

#32 Fezz

Fezz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:55 AM

after reading all these very VALID points it leaves me to still believe as said...

ocean = shark territory...

but then again even though it is shark territory, these man eaters usually patrol outer waters where their food source is readily available (whilst patrolling) but then whilst also discussed, if they can come into shore and pick of easy 'slow swimming' humans then i agree, if they find an easy meal why not stay for another...

i agree they should either be tracked, whilst not obviously monetary wise move to track ALL, if we find a 'stray predator' come inshore and dwell in the area obviously waiting for another feed... cull it.

if it poses no harm and moves on. let it be... better off one of them on the 'just in case' side than one of us on the 'should have moved quicker case'

i.e does a magpie just let us walk in and stand under its nest and 'see what happens', through experience i can say no... the fu**er swoops me when i get anywhere close as it is protecting its own... its called natural behavior... and through this sometimes we do have to act if situations get a bit close... its NATURAL...

and Steve Green 'LET THE BOGAN SIDE SHINE!!!!' LOL your comment made me smile through all of the emotional comments above mentioned. although a bit redneck... u also act upon the 'natural reaction' side... i.e when a threat takes place, protect our own =) and yes it would be quite a story to tell.

IN THE END i guess nature will take its course, but lets weigh up the odds with some productive thoughts and natural instinct, not just a 'save the natural predator' theory... lets take a look at how close to the nest this threat id coming... then swoop when we have the chance... NOT TOO LATE

#33 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (silly @ Dec 29 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
snorkelling with fins on makes you look like a injured seal (ie thrashing about on the top of the water)
fact that there are a heap of seals which inhabit the island around cockburn and warnbro sound make it understandable for a great white to make the mistake.

true, and a surfer (paddling) can look like a turtle when viewed from below.

the shark sees what it believes to be a seal or turtle and goes in to attack. they don't attack a human if they know it is a human. (unless it is provoked)

these attacks will not stop me from diving - even at point peron, just around the corner from the attack...

#34 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Hahaha I like alot of the new comments biggrin.gif , though I wish a few people would read the thread before making comments, some people are just repeating old debates and discussion, i.e. mistaken identity "theory".

they don't attack a human if they know it is a human. (unless it is provoked)
Look at this pearler comment, Jezza would you like to prove this to us all by jumping in front of a white pointer and acting like a human? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Scientists know little fact about shark behaviour, read what they write, its nearly all theory and speculation, they admit this, but you like much of the public like to adopt scientific guesses as fact.

I say again what the hell has mistaken identity "theory" got to do with letting a maneater kill someone and then allowed to continue to freely roam metro waters?

Steve nice offer, I got a boat, but to be honest it would be a tough job, too many eyes out on the bay ATM who think this animal should live, they think they must "protect the beautiful shark" from the bad horrible human scum. Forget the fishing rods, what we need is a shotgun, a couple of high powered smokies and a hessian bag full of tuna heads and shark livers, the smokies are for the shark and the shotgun is for the people who might try to stop us. laugh.gif

I'm here to kick ass and chew beeef jerky, and Im all out of beef jerky!

P.S. I dont eat beef jerky, wear flannel or drive a pickup truck and my best friends name is not Cleatus.

P.P.S Im obviously kidding everyone, (Steve no Im not), just kidding people, (Steve PM me) just kidding (Steve I got the boat ready).

Cheers
Den biggrin.gif

#35 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Den @ Dec 30 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look at this pearler comment, Jezza would you like to prove this to us all by jumping in front of a white pointer and acting like a human? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Scientists know little fact about shark behaviour, read what they write, its nearly all theory and speculation, they admit this, but you like much of the public like to adopt scientific guesses as fact.

if i jump in infront of a great white, i'd spook it, therefore i'd expect it to attack in defense (contradiction of terms? never mind)
if i was in the water and a shark swam by, i very highly doubt that it would attack...

#36 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

Jezza you make the statement that sharks wont attack humans if they know they are human, so Im just asking if youd like to prove it by entering the water with great whites present and act like a human to prove to us it wont attack you like you claim.

Your comments might apply to reef sharks and grey nurses but we are talking about great whites and maneaters.

But yes Im sure if you "jumped" in front of it a 2 ton animal would feel the need to protect itself from your (guessing) approximate 50-80KG human frame and feel the need to attack you for it would be so scared once you spooked it, though it would probably be more likely to happen if you also had a slipnot or metallica t-shirt on and gave it a nasty stare. There is no proof behind any of your comments, not even a shark expert in their right mind would back any of your statements, even though these people also come up with some rediculous statements.

Cheers
Den

#37 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

Port Kennedy Beach is now closed... http://www.thewest.c...ontentID=115376

Have you been going out in a dinghy, Den? wink.gif

#38 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

The way I see it, killing an animal for protection is no defferant from kiling an animal for food.
Humans and animals do what we have to do survive. If an animal feels threatined it will attack or run and so would alot of people.
Why is it okay for a shark to attack if it's provoked, but not ok for us to kill a shark if we feel provoked?
If it came down to it I doubt there would be anyone who wouldn't take a sharks life to save their own.
My opinion anyway...

#39 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

Geez Den, ease up buddy.. tongue.gif

Although I support you in this "argument", I'm sure other members can "state" their beliefs without any verbal skewering from others/you... tongue.gif

#40 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

I dont mean to be nasty, but like I said, if you read that lastest story the shark is still hunting humans. Im sure some idiot is gonna say dont worry the shark just thought the dingy and people in it was a big seal or turtle!!! laugh.gif

I know this bay like the back of my hand and I know if something is not done this shark will kill again, so if I sound passionate about the subject forgive me but its a bit frustrating when I know another person is likely going to die a horrible death and public opinion is so mislead that Im fighting a lost battle. I just have to accept that another person has to die before people wake up.

My favourite blog comment:
It always amuses me that people will kill any number of harmless fish through slow suffocation for the sake of the taste of fish and chips or sardines on toast and yet they go to any length to protect a fish known to be a human killer. The hypocrisy is astonishing.

Cheers
Den

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users