Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Daylight Savings

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: WA DST YES/NO vote vs. age bracket

Should WA have Daylight Savings? Choose the YES or NO next to your AGE bracket

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Ricksta

Ricksta
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

well i stat work at 6 am, by the time i finish the mortality's it's almost lunch time then gotta check shed temp's every 2 hour's untill the next morning, then there's mantaince, catcher's coming and going. feed coming and going, and all these thing's are timed so when the time change's it truck's everything up

#22 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

I start work at six as well but come home have a small kip and get back up with plenty of light to play with. It's mostly the country towns and the very far out skirts of perth that are killing it for the rest. I believe the country folk are against it because it affects their cows.

#23 Sparky

Sparky
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:38 PM

HAHAHHA affects the cows??? they dont have watches so it doesnt affect them at all it affects the farmers
the poor hard done by farmers who whinge about anything they can

still no reasonable reasons not to have it yet

anyway i'm off to work i'll see if theres any by time i get back home again

#24 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Totally agree, but thats what i heard thats what the farmers were complaining about in the paper ages ago.

#25 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Stupid WA...afraid of change...cant get off their bums and change the clock twice a year....boo fricketty hoo....at least the cows will be happy.. smile.gif

#26 Ricksta

Ricksta
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

it does affect live stock they get hearded and milked earlier tongue.gif

#27 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

The way i see it, if the cows can't perform then off to macca's they go!

#28 Ricksta

Ricksta
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

lol zoltan then maybe macca's can drop there price's

#29 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Sparky @ May 16 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HAHAHHA affects the cows??? they dont have watches

There could be a new marketing avenue there....Watches for cows....think of the revenue.....
One to many Jack's... Sorry Back on topic

#30 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

Lol would be good.

#31 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Iamsam @ May 16 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure it dosent create "extra" time but it creates more useable time in the afternoon. serisouly nobody wants light in the morning, you dont go out and do stuff first thing in the mornign before work, you dont get enough time, however if you have that extra time after work than you can do more and enjoy all the sun. and if the biggest thing is your "body clock" i think you should have a spoon full of concret and harden up. its not that hard to sleep.

harden up? im not the one crying about "needing to do things in the light" excuse me i do what i need to do and the brightness level/contrast has no bearing on my activities. i'm dumbfounded as to how darkness can stop me having a walk/jog/whatever the heck i wanna do.. how ridiculous. personally i see the only valid point of daylight saving is closer trading hours to the eastern states, end of story.

#32 Ricksta

Ricksta
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:31 PM

Thank you Vietdragon my point exactly

#33 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hi Krystal,

Glad you mentioned Jack smile.gif

Same...I walk, run etc do whatever I want in the dark smile.gif In fact I prefer it....Its more about the principle of the thing....why do people resist change with such a vengeance? If we had voted yes....chances are it would change back again as the pendulum swings.....the only constant is change....except in WA smile.gif

Cya

Donna

#34 captaincurly

captaincurly
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

I like to to running in the morning
sure, I'd prefer the light
but the dark won't hurt me
I like that we don't have it, but it's only delaying daylight savings, not stopping it.
we are going to keep having referendums until we get it
I thought no means no?
it was the fourth referendum, and this time the biggest no margin
get the picture, the majority don't want it.

#35 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

Majority=old people

Unfortunately the majority doesn't always represent the most physically and economically active members of the community......again, as with everything else, we assume its all rational and fair....well it aint.

Just for the sake of argument, if seventeen year olds were allowed to vote...would that have impacted on the outcome?

Of course that is pie in the sky because that is not the way it is....and we have to operate off some system. I just think it is worth considering that it might not be the most effective system to serve the young and up and coming ACTIVE members of our community. Just something to consider in light of our aging population.

Regards,

Donna

#36 captaincurly

captaincurly
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

if seventeen year olds could vote, it would have been interesting
as a seventeen year old, my vote would have been no, and so would have many people I know
it would have been really close I think
but your right, the majority is older, due to slowing population growth and all that.

#37 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

and your right of course...not all seventeen year olds would have voted yes...its just a point to consider...to be honest...I don't really care either way..smile.gif
Its all worked well for me smile.gif However, unfortunately those people just a couple of years out of voting range, did not get to have any say in the decision....this will impact on them...

#38 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

If you ignorant people think it won't affect farmers wake up, it doesn't affect the cows directly but the truck that picks up the milk is an hour early, so milking starts an hour early and i don't know bout you people but i hate starting work in the dark all year round, sure you can do more in the arvo but im not goin to mow my lawn in the scortching heat, i finish work at 2.30 and ill be buggared if ill do anything till 5 so it changes nothing. daylight savings is not needed in summer, we are a lucky city we get all the light we need and don't have mountains cutting our light off. if people want to do more in a day wake up early.

#39 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

I think labelling people as ignorant could be a bit unfair.....

I am thinking if I were a farmer and the kids (if not in boarding school) were able to get themselves to the bus on time for school etc why would you need to set your clocks back? You could just run off the old solar day for a lot of things. I have friends with huge properties who are not overly fussed and they just milk at the same solar time and who cares what it says on the clock? They have negotiated and moved the milk collection time to suit.

Farmers sometimes need to seed all night etc etc...they do what they have to do and are ruled by the sun or by what just needs to be done (eg lots of night work with seeding etc) not the clock. It is possible to be creative, after all, the time on the clock is purely subjective...farmers luckily have a certain amount of autonomy in how they structure their day and don't necessarily have to run to city times. The milk trucks etc, well things that need to be done, just have to be done regardless of "clock" time. Farmers are a lot more flexible and adaptable than people think...and have always been governed by astronomy not a clock face.

Not denying that it would have been an inconvenience for farmers and rural workers...just saying they would have adapted for the brief time daylight saving is in place.

Someone (?) has moved the seasons "back" and they have adapted to this procession (might not have stopped complaining about it though wink.gif

Anyway, it is clear it took more than the farmers to deliver a "no" verdict. I just hope people who didnt really mind, didn't vote "no" thinking they were helping farmers.....with the vote being compulsory, there is the risk of the swingers thinking they are voting on humanatarian grounds...

Regards,

Donna

#40 effan07

effan07
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:12 AM

im a seventeen year old and me and all my friends would have definitely voted YES biggrin.gif its awesome.
Its just to bad it didn't get in dry.gif

Cheers Evan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users