Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Daylight Savings

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: WA DST YES/NO vote vs. age bracket

Should WA have Daylight Savings? Choose the YES or NO next to your AGE bracket

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

At last, someone who can spell "definitely"

What school did you go to Evan???

Daylight Saving (just staying on topic smile.gif

Regards,

Donna

#42 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (VietDragon @ May 16 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
harden up? im not the one crying about "needing to do things in the light" excuse me i do what i need to do and the brightness level/contrast has no bearing on my activities. i'm dumbfounded as to how darkness can stop me having a walk/jog/whatever the heck i wanna do.. how ridiculous. personally i see the only valid point of daylight saving is closer trading hours to the eastern states, end of story.

You miss my point, probably becouse it didnt make sense and wasnt really a point in there blink.gif i shall blame the buorban.

But anyway, your correct light dosent stop you from walking or jogging, hell i love cycling early morning in the dark and i love taking the dogs out walking late at night with the stars to guide me, However there are still many things you cant do in the dark, the big thing for me is kayaking, i love kayaking, and working 6 days i dont get the time to go and do it on my day off cos i have other errands to run, hence i loved dls becouse i could get home from work at night and than go out to the local river or champion lakes etc. and go for a kayak, with out it, it gets dark to early and by the time i get out there the sunsets about to set.

and yes donna, i also cant spell and have no gramatical skills.

#43 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

and yes donna, i also cant spell and have no gramatical skills.[/quote]

LOL I don't really care about spelling or grammar in the context of a forum...it is just making me laugh how the word definitely has morphed to definately smile.gif No big deal...I can still comprehend it smile.gif

Back to the vote as well, I was thinking, those people who didnt really mind either way, should have done a donkey vote, so that those who really cared could have been heard. Compulsory voting on these issues has meant that the neutral people generally take a side. History shows us that they will take the path of least resistance and keep the "Status Quo" rather than opting for change. The heart strings were pulled by struggling farmers and parents trying to get their kids to bed. Again, this has impacted on the swinging voter...

The decision IMO does not accurately reflect the desires of those who really took a stance and didn't just hum and hah or take on what they believed was the justified cause of one of those groups.

Regards,

Donna

#44 Spud91

Spud91
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

I would have voted yes too,

I'm seventeen and I agree that it would have made a difference if we were allowed to vote, I have a better opportunity to utilise the sunlight when daylight savings are in.

It will eventually be yes,

Glen.

#45 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Iamsam @ May 16 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
serisouly nobody wants light in the morning, you dont go out and do stuff first thing in the mornign before work, you dont get enough time, and if the biggest thing is your "body clock" i think you should have a spoon full of concret and harden up. its not that hard to sleep.

You're kidding right? I'm sure the thousands of runners, swimmers, kayakers (sp?), walkers etc etc would argue with you about the not going out first thing in the morning and "doing stuff". As for the hardening up because it's not that hard to sleep, perhaps it's not for YOU but it certainly is for plenty of others, especially those who have to rise early for work. In Daylight Saving, if you get up at 5am, you're actually getting up at 4am, your bodyclock does feel the difference and after 6 months of it, is totally out of whack, if it doesn't affect YOU, then you're one of the lucky ones but it DOES affect alot of people.

QUOTE (Donna @ May 17 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just for the sake of argument, if seventeen year olds were allowed to vote...would that have impacted on the outcome?

I don't think there would have been much difference TBH. Over 200, 000 registered voters didn't vote yesterday, I would imagine that most 17 year olds (NOT all) would have better things to do than take the time to vote.....as apparently the 200, 000 registered voters did yesterday! Now I can't remember if it's $25 or $50 you get fined, either way the Government would have recouped half of the cost of the referendum if not the full amount by the 200, 000 that didn't vote yesterday.

QUOTE (Donna)
I just think it is worth considering that it might not be the most effective system to serve the young and up and coming ACTIVE members of our community. Just something to consider in light of our aging population.

I work in Aged Care and ALL of my clients have told me that they like DLS and WOULD be voting for it....so not too sure how accurate your statement may be.

#46 woodsy

woodsy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ May 17 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you ignorant people think it won't affect farmers wake up, it doesn't affect the cows directly but the truck that picks up the milk is an hour early, so milking starts an hour early and i don't know bout you people but i hate starting work in the dark all year round, sure you can do more in the arvo but im not goin to mow my lawn in the scortching heat, i finish work at 2.30 and ill be buggared if ill do anything till 5 so it changes nothing. daylight savings is not needed in summer, we are a lucky city we get all the light we need and don't have mountains cutting our light off. if people want to do more in a day wake up early.

Well said mate, i couldnt agree more smile.gif

woodsy

#47 effan07

effan07
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Donna @ May 17 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At last, someone who can spell "definitely"

What school did you go to Evan???

Daylight Saving (just staying on topic smile.gif

Regards,

Donna

Donna I go to Duncraig Senior High School
and was last night the final referendum or will there be another?

Cheers Evan

#48 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

and was last night the final referendum or will there be another?

That's the million dollar question...do we keep voting till we get the result we want?

#49 giz

giz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

At 9 million a pop? Why not go again in a couple of years.

Giz dry.gif

#50 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

I doubt there will be another referendum for a while, considering this is the most resounding for the "no voters" of all four referendums conducted on this issue.

We just have to wear the decision made by the voters. It certainly was a big win for the "no" voters.

Luckily for me, I can see in the dark smile.gif and can close my blinds to block out light smile.gif

I only sleep for five or so hours a day anyway, and it is dark for those times, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones!

Regards,

Donna

#51 Bluey

Bluey
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

As someone that has voted in all the referendums - Im glad it's over.
Final in pollie speak means it's final untill some other 'we know better than you' clown decides it is good for us.

Nothing to do with big busines, and nothing to do with public servants/politicians getting backhanders.

With an average of eight hours sunlight each day we dont need anymore in summer - now what about more daylight in winter????
G'night everyone.............

#52 captaincurly

captaincurly
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

our wonderful premier has said there won't be another while he's in office
but he bet on one in the next 15-20 years
it'll happen eventually
were just delaying smile.gif

#53 Sparky

Sparky
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

no referendum while Colin Barnett is in power
just one more reason to remove him
now to find a decent opposition that can beat him tho wink.gif
there'll be one in less than 15 years i'm guessing and they will continue untill yes finally wins lets just save time and money and have it now

#54 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

Let's compare how the votes of the PCS compare to the rest of the State.

Poll added! smile.gif

#55 captaincurly

captaincurly
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

hehe, looks like it was the right decision.

#56 woodsy

woodsy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Sparky @ May 17 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no referendum while Colin Barnett is in power
just one more reason to remove him
now to find a decent opposition that can beat him tho wink.gif
there'll be one in less than 15 years i'm guessing and they will continue untill yes finally wins lets just save time and money and have it now

didnt we do that yesterday?

#57 effan07

effan07
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

looks 50-50 to me tongue.gif
anyway what they should have done is reduce the length of daylight savings, instead of finishing it in march, finish in Feb or even end of Jan (but Feb would be better) even if it is just for the holiday season, bet if they did that then it would have gotten in stupid politicians wacko.gif.

Cheers Evan

#58 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

moan and groan all you want but i still blame dorazzio for this mess, and the thing i have learned bout pollitions is its not a matter of who you like and who you dislike, its a matter of who do you hate the least.

#59 kevy73

kevy73
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (Iamsam @ May 16 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure it dosent create "extra" time but it creates more useable time in the afternoon. serisouly nobody wants light in the morning, you dont go out and do stuff first thing in the mornign before work, you dont get enough time,

Ummmm, disagree, nothing like a 5am swim with nice light in summer... or a jog, kayak etc etc... all the early risers have suffered for the last 3 years.

#60 marie90

marie90
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

I voted No

I didnt really mind whichever way the polls went but I have lived my whole life in WA and an hour less of sunlight in the arvo has never stopped me from doing the activities i want to enjoy doing.
We have plenty of sunlight and the sun stays out longer in summer anyway. When it is actually summer, I cant wait for the sun to go down so I can walk the dog etc when its much cooler to do so. If your really worried about missing out on your activities, may I suggest waking up an hour earlier and doing it then in the scorching morning sun smile.gif

My 2 cents smile.gif

Although I didnt mind either way, I just thought Id put in my logical reason for voting NO smile.gif

Marie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users