Photo

Drilled Tanks - Will This Work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Departure

Departure
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

So im thinking of a future fish room with multiple tanks all using a central sump. The one thing I wanted to do was to make water changes easy. Other thing was I wanted maximum water level. the problem with drilled tanks that have an overflow type system is they are drilled just below the top of the tank leaving the water level a fair few inches below the maximum water level. Now if I wanted to incorporate an easy water change I would need to drill a second hole to the level I wanted to be discharged from the tank. So im thinking that if I drill low enough I could do both with just 1 hole drilled and the hole could be low enough to also suck the dirty stuff out the bottom of the tank where it normally lays.

So the below is a rough drawing of my idea to combat both, now because the sump pipe has an air intake it shouldn't create a siphon(hopefully) and it will be just like an overflow but I could have the water level higher than I could with a top drilled overflow. Have a look and tell me what you guys think with your ideas and suggestions..

Will this work??? Im thinking kinda like an outside weir/overflow ......
nvb9mv.jpg

Edited by Departure, 01 April 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#2 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Cant see any reason that this wouldn't work, it may be noisy though as the overflows will be both sucking air and gurgling as the water runs down to the sump line. You would also need some way of supporting the pipe work as it would be putting a lot of side strain on the glass and bulkhead fitting at the back of the tank.

Other then that it looks like a creative way to do it!

Also instead of discharging water from the rear of each tank i would just have a larger diameter discharge line coming off the sump as an overflow to drain, that way you can just open the 1st discharge valves on the tanks, have them flood into the sump and discharge from one point into your drain/garden/whatever. This would make water changing easier as you could have multiple tanks draining at one time.

You could also create a second overflow water level at 50% height with a closed valve in between, so if you want to drain 50% of the tank you can just open the valve, you'll never get any lower than 50% by doing this.

Just throwing ideas out there :)

#3 MUZZYBEAR

MUZZYBEAR
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

you should come see my setup and that will give you something to think about, big sump setup, auto refill, and waterchange, i can do waterchanges and gravel vac manually and not worry bout refilling

• mac likes this

#4 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

OH YEAH! TANK SETUP AND WC PARTY AT MUZZYBEAR's PLACE!!!!!!

BRING BEER AND GUPPIES!!!!

:Rofl_3f: :Rofl_3f: :Rofl_3f: :Rofl_3f:

#5 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I'll supply the siphons and buckets, prizes for those who can siphon the gravel as well. :P

#6 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Come past Aquotix on Sunday and Ill go through the way we have been doing recirc systems for years.... Ill give you hints and tips that should help..... Including pros and cons - you can hit me with as many questions as you can think of....

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

hole closer to the top of the tank is easier :)

#8 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

You can have the water level high, just put a box type over flow weir in front of the drilled hole, the hole can be lower than the over flow weir.

#9 Departure

Departure
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 AM

@ice

Yeah I have an idea for hang off the back bracket to support the piping, Also the picture only shows the concept, I would add a 90 bend(side ways) at the penetration as it comes out of the tank, Then it would be flash with the back of the tank, Then a "S" shape bracket that would hold the "overflow chamber" and hang on the back top of the aquarium. Thanks the ideas about the setting of the water change @ 50% ect..

@Muzzybear

Got any photos ???

@Mr_docfish

I will take you up on that offer, I am still at work(FIFO) but when I get home I will come down and have a talk :) thank you for the offer

@bigjohnfish

Yes I have thought about a top hole, but thats too easy and not what I want to achieve, I am aiming for a non intrusive tank without weirs ect.. with the most space as possible and with just the 1 hole for overflow and the same hole for cleaning the tank, This is why I thought being lower would act as a vacuum when draining the tank. basically its an out of tank weir/overflow. If it was a breeding tank I wouldn't really care, but its a fish room "display" type of tanks which will show the tank and not the filter. Thanks for your advice and it still might end up being a top hole over flow(without the weir).

@sandgroper

box weir/ stand pipes/ ect.. defeats the purpose. I am happy to do that kind of overflows but I wanted to think up something less intrusive and better looking tank. thanks for the suggestions it is appreciated. 

Edited by Departure, 02 April 2014 - 05:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users