Photo

Electric Yellow Swimming Vertically

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:35 AM

I have an electric yellow...she is swimming vertically, head up. I have no idea why. Can anyone help?

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

Does she do that while swimming across the tank?

#3 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hi Jonathan,

I don't "know" anything for sure. However, my male laetacara curviceps presented with those symptoms. He was still eating and swimming with his partner and did not appear to be in any pain. His swimming was like he was "tailstanding" Eventually tnough, he could not rise from the bottom which made me think it was a swim bladder problem. I sought help on this forum and that seemed to be the general consensus.

I fed him peas just to make sure it wasn't a digestive problem (check this treatment for your species).

While he could still compete for food I left him in the home tank. After a while though I had to take him out as he could not get off the bottom. I put him in a hospital tank and lowered the water level to help with his swimming. I tried the usual stuff, salt to support him, antibiotics, pima and mela fix. I had to hand feed him.

I looked after him and changed his water everyday etc etc but in the end I opted for euthanasia using the method on this forum. In some ways I wish I had done it quicker as I can't be sure how much suffering he went through. Just being in a hospital tank and away from the other fish is not nice for the fish imo.

Anyway, some research I did suggested changing water levels suddenly, having your fish out of water too long etc might cause swim bladder problems, along with "diseases" etc. None of my other fish have ever had such a problem, and I will never know. I was very sad to lose that fish.

Regards,

Donna

#4 Coxyy

Coxyy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:21 PM

If it is swim bladder this old topic may help. But there is not realy anything you can do i have heard of only a small amount of fish surviving. saw one at my LFS die of it today.

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=26044

#5 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

one possibility is that it is being harassed... a head-down display is show of aggression, a head-up display is a show of submission... this is true with majority of fish species. So keep an eye on it so see if it is being bullied.

#6 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Sep 20 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one possibility is that it is being harassed... a head-down display is show of aggression, a head-up display is a show of submission... this is true with majority of fish species. So keep an eye on it so see if it is being bullied.

Bingo....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users