Photo

First Tank Setup.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hey everyone, I have finally got my 1st ever tropical tank setup running biggrin.gif I have waited 5 months! for this and i am rapped about it, lol. It's setup for the red devil breeding pair i'm picking up tomorrow, It's got in it 2x Aquacare 300W heaters, 2x Aquatopia Internal filter 400's (aquariums 200L-400L), 1x 24" Air stone, Aquatopia air pump, 30kg of river gravel and a 4ft light (white and blue). The tank is 6'x14"x18" (LxWxH). I can't wait till tomorrow when i get my fish and i will post pics up when they are settled. Does anyone know if i need a terracotta pot and a piece of slate for them to lay eggs on/in?

Sorry about bad pictures, i used my phone.

Pics:
Attached File  IMAG0021.jpg   731.16KB   74 downloads
Attached File  IMAG0024.jpg   667.41KB   57 downloads

Cheers Jamil.

#2 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

I hope the tank is cycled???how long has it been running, you may have to wait awhile if you have only just filled it, or you will need to seed the filters and get some bacteria going, or you may kill the fish.

#3 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

1 of the filters has been running for 2 days the other has been running for 1.They have sponge, activated carbon and ceramic rings if that makes a difference? cheers Jamil.

#4 Dr_Pat

Dr_Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

You just need to start with a small number of hardy fish to start producing waste and get the cycle started. You want to give it a month before you go adding more then your first few fish though....or you can test the water regularly to see when your ammonia is zero, your nitrites are minimal and your nitrates start to build up. If you're buy fish from a sponsor, they'll all be able to recommend a few good species.....personally, I'd recommend aquotix ;-)

#5 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

Yeah, i looked up on Google that red devils are hardy is this true? and i only want the two red devils in this tank for a few months so should they be ok? Cheers Jamil.

#6 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

It would pay to have a good think about things befor picking up the devils. You may find yourself with dead fish in a couple days.

#7 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Can anyone help me with this? because i have had these fish on hold for a while, while i got my tank sorted, Would this help? I used unwashed river gravel from Woodvale fish and lily farm but gave it a big wash before put in the tank. and what are the chances of the fish dieing on me if i get them tomorrow? Cheers for all your help at the moment guys.

#8 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

If this is your first cichlid tank then take the advice above and cycle your tank with a couple cheap fish for a month befor getting the devils.
Cheers.

#9 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

ok guys, I arranged to pickup the fish tomorrow but i am going to take your advise, I'll try get hold of the guys with the red devils and tell him that i need to cycle my tank so i unfortunately can't buy them and i'll get some cheap Cichlids off hood. Cheers guys for your help.

#10 Dr_Pat

Dr_Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Get some platties. They're indestructible, cheap, readily available and will be a big hit with your red devils when the time comes to add them. (personally, If it were only a couple red devils in a big tank like that, they were small and cheap, I'd take that chance. )

#11 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

You all really think two 13cm fish are going to have issues in a 6ft tank? Honestly?
Especially fish like RDs?

You dont think reduced feeding and regular weekly water changes would be enough?

I have cycled tanks that size with larger and more fish than that.

#12 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Where in that thread does it say there 13cm fish. We just don't want this guys first crack at cichlids to go to shit.

#13 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

It says on the classifieds thread that is now back up for sale because everyone said these fish will probably die in the tank.
I dont want it to go to shit either, but it is 2 fish in a 6ft tank.

Reduce feeding to once every 3 days, do 1/3 or 1/2 water changes every week and they should be right.

I just think you should have asked for all the facts before saying the fish are no good for the tank in its uncycled state.

I have cycled tanks this size with more than 4x that amount of bigger fish that werent anywhere near as hardy as RDs

#14 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

I think there is a big difference between you doing it and someone's first time.
Il help I have a spair air pump he can use if someone has a cycled sponge filter there willing to lend him so he can get his devils. Let's help him out guys.

#15 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hey guys and thanks for your help today i bought 10 red empress fry off hood, but now i have read the things about getting the RD's and i am gutted about buying the fish now, I don't want to seem like a scab but does anyone have a old 3ft tank i could stick the fry in for a month or two so i could get the RD's as Werdna said it would be ok to put the RD's in my tank in, so does anyone have a old 3ft tank i can have for free or really cheap because i haven't got a lot of money now, cheers Jamil.

Or i could swap a 3ft setup for my *As new Samsung wp10 (red) underwater digital camera RRP $249.*

http://www.samsung.c...btype=pl-series

Edited by Jamil, 05 June 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#16 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

how big are the red empress mate ...
why not re sell your 2ND choice fish ? and get the ones you want
big thing i found out with fish is Patience is the best way to go and research known sauces before you rush out and buy stuff

what filtration are you running?
i have some seeded wool here that will give your tank a kick start also there are products you can buy to help with the cycle

#17 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

The red empresses are 2-4cm, I am running two of these filters, http://www.livefish....h-test-kit.html , How much would you want for the seeded wool? Cheers Jamil.

#18 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

well there goes that idea - you need beta filtration

do you have a pond pump or anything ?

i have a sump here you can use and some bio balls wool etc but i dont have another pump i would suggest round 3000lph pond pump. i would be looking at setting up that tank first before buying another you will always come across red devils ...

#19 Jamil

Jamil
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

a sump is a bit too advanced for me, hehe but thanks anyway, I have just counted my fish and i have just found i have 11 red empresses and 1 guppy lol, and i used a bit of water from hoods tank so would that help with the bacteria growth? and is there any chemicals or anything that can speed it up if so what are the names? Cheers Jamil.

#20 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

probably shouldn't add other peoples water into your tank . when you get new fish you should hold your net over a bucket and pass the fish and water through the net into the bucket then the fish will be left in the net to transfer to the tank .

sump is not technical . with the two internal filters you have you are limited to the filtration i run a 2000lph internal and a 6000lph sump on a 6 foot and a 2000lph trickle filter and a 1600lph internal on a 3 foot you are probably running 300lph x2 less what the media slows it down say about 400lph total for all your filtration.

I'm happy to help but i think you need to help your self first .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users