Photo

Bombers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

I feel so sad for the Bomber boys and the ones gone to other clubs like Power - those guys have been in hell for a few years now - how would they know what they were being given.  I'd love to see a protest where no one goes to a game until this madness has stopped - they have already had much more punishment than they deserve.  I'm not sure who has made this decision but I hope they rot in hell........................................cheers

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

Nah stuff them. They're adults, and can say no to having crap injected. Shame it's taken 3 years. Should have got a kick up the arse 3 years ago.

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

They decided to cheat... no doubt in my mind that they knew it. I hate drug cheats in sport. None of them (players and staff involved), unless there are mitigating circumstances, should ever be able to compete in professional sport again! Save your pity for the guys that had to work harder because they werent cheating. The organisation is a disgrace to the code and the players and staff are a disgrace to themselves, each other and professional athletes everywhere.
I used to play representative rugby union and we were all given the run down by anti-doping guys from AIS. If a coach or team manager said "here lets inject this shit into you."
I would have said "what is it?"
Unless I was 100% clear it was all good I would have suggested that person go and procreate with their mother! Its not rocket science... even for Aussie Rules players and Leagueies.

#4 In between tanks

In between tanks
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

They new what they were doing all of them they deserve it

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:35 AM

funny enough not all the players took their meds.... some stayed clean and are still able to play this season....

definitely taken far too long to spank the offenders....

but banning these players now for 12 mths is detrimental to our game... i would suggest they be allowed to play but all match payments are to be stripped and donated towards junior footy and drug education in our country... nothing hurts a player more than not being able to play... but having their match payments stripped from them would go a close second...

essendon will field a second rate team all year and their supporters subsequently may not come to their games hence lowering the overall gate takings and actually hurting the afl directly with less money being taken and able to be injected into the game.... and seeing they will almost definitely finish last - opposing teams playing bombers may have same reason not to attend... more lost revenue for the afl.... 

future rulings need to be in plain easy to read rules for everybody.... anyone caught using non approved drugs will be publicly spanked before every game :) lol

#6 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

Investigation has been an ongoing shambles for the last 3 years. Lets hope thats the end of it .

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Im not sure thats the case. I think the club and the AFL have done their best to portray the investigation as a shambles to swing public support by attempting to diminish the credibility of investigation and subsequent sanctions. Sure not all allegations initially made have stuck but its a complicated process with limited and in some cases no cooperation, particularly during the initial investigation. Hard to get to the bottom of something when everyone is lying to cover their own worthless, cheating arses!

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

I disagree Malawiman. The AFL's initial investigation was a shambles. As essentially it was a Kangaroo court, and the AFL is essentially investigating itself as Essendon is a part of the AFL. It doesn't look good on the AFL if a whole club is found to systematically cheating using drugs (as has now been found to be the case). It is like being on trial for murder, but you are the judge and the jury. The AFL has egg on its face in a big way, why would the AFL want the investigation to look like a shambles? It makes no sense.

For me the big one is not a single player that has been found guilty ever asked any of the governing bodies if what they were taking was OK. On top of that not a single player even ran it past the club doctor. You would have to think that if you are being taken off site for injections and you have to sign a waiver/confidentiality agreement that you won't tell anyone, then all is not what it seems. I can appreciate that it may be hard to say no, with James Hird et al telling you it is all above board, but at some stage you have to ask the question as a professional and as an adult.

I don't think it is detrimental to the game at all. Finding a whole club is on the gas and slapping them with a couple fines and taking away match day payments is a pathetic punishment. I think the punishment is about right 12 months when you also factor in the amount of mental anguish they have also suffered.

This is not over. There will be a class action against Essendon by the players for lost income and damages. Which the AFL will need to help Essendon pay.

#9 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Ben Cousins got 12 mths for what I consider to be way worse - and how many of his mates got slapped with that - I think the club is the problem - not the players - as a player it hard to say no if want to keep your spot - and how many players would question the people that are supposed to be looking after them - who ever at the top pushed this belongs in jail........................

#10 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Na I disagree benny cuz was bad but this way worse they were actually enhancing themselves and giving themselves an edge on other players and teams, cousins was recreational drugs which does not really make u better if anything it hindered him

Edited by Chopstick_mike, 13 January 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Sorry mate I was referring to external investigation by ASADA, WADA, ACC & WorkSafe (Asada investigation was essentially a joint investigation with Essendon but it was independent and issued a fairly damning report that the AFL chose to pretty well ignore). AFL tribunal, in its capacity to deal with the issue, initially found players not guilty WADA appealed to Court of Arbitration for Sport which subsequently found the guys guilty a few days ago.
I agree the AFL (and James Hird appeal hoohuh) side of things was a joke but external influences and authorities, I think, did pretty well. Had the AFL sanctioned the players appropriatly in line withb ASADA report this whole story would have been ancient history.

#12 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

funny enough not all the players took their meds.... some stayed clean and are still able to play this season....

So it was a kind of peer pressure thing too I guess? As they all went to the same seminar they didn't want to look like the odd one out, they signed it in fron tthe others (to be part of the team) then chose not to get the injections.

I am amazed none of them checked to see whether it was legit.

I wonder if this all was found out, when one of them declared they were taking some kind of 'suppliment' outside of the normal regime?

#13 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

My understanding of how this all came to light was through ACC investigations into corruption in professional sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users