Fish Facial Recognition?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

Who knew?! Be faster if the research person carried a fish food container I suspect - mine can pick that from 5 feet away.

Fish can be trained to recognize your face and spit on it | The Verge

#2 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

Who knew?! Be faster if the research person carried a fish food container I suspect - mine can pick that from 5 feet away.

Fish can be trained to recognize your face and spit on it | The Verge

My big tank is in the office so they see loads of people but they definitely go nuts when i am there, my little tank with tropheus though, if i accidentally bump the container of flakes on my desk they near jump out of the tank :)

Interesting study.  I wonder if you could train the archers to nail a difficult family member.

#3 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

I've had Tropheus fry recognise me well after dropping them off at an LFS or at another fishkeppers

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

My big tank is in the office so they see loads of people but they definitely go nuts when i am there, my little tank with tropheus though, if i accidentally bump the container of flakes on my desk they near jump out of the tank :)

Interesting study.  I wonder if you could train the archers to nail a difficult family member.

defintely, I've done it twice now.
They do have varying personalities with some more timid while others very outgoing,,, best training is to only have one so its one on one.
I believe that being in the aquarium makes them strictly pelagic instead of mainly pelagic.
Because they are only limited to upper surface section, there's not much for them to focus on except what goes on outside of tank.
Their extremely superior eyesight being a adaptation to viewing small insects quite far away out of the water,,, the eye has a second mode of refraction (message between eye and brain is adjusted to see precisely in line,, regardless the fact that,, to you and me everything becomes slewed to the side visually.
So this fish with its incredible vision coupled with its intelligence (needed to learn and hunt insects), definitely gives personal and even specific attention.
My first one, did not flinch at anyone passing, but when I passed,, it would go over the top nuts, almost like tricked up in a vid shot.
It would spit at 100% accuracy every time anything I held up or even at me as I walked past for attention.
Would not spit for anyone else.
I had a terrarium over tank top instead of lids,,, I had a 54mm hole drilled on the terrarium side towards top where he'd spit through.
I had exhaust fans coupled with fluros rigged up as a moth and nocturnal insect trap,,,, as well as concealed maggot/fly breeding which I'd let all these insects fly around and land on the plants in the top half and watch the archer go nuts,,,, good times.
Also in my breed room,,, I walk down one of my isles my fish greet and adore me,,,, anyone else at all, they are all smacking into sides and crapping themselves.

#5 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

defintely, I've done it twice now.
They do have varying personalities with some more timid while others very outgoing,,, best training is to only have one so its one on one.
I believe that being in the aquarium makes them strictly pelagic instead of mainly pelagic.
Because they are only limited to upper surface section, there's not much for them to focus on except what goes on outside of tank.
Their extremely superior eyesight being a adaptation to viewing small insects quite far away out of the water,,, the eye has a second mode of refraction (message between eye and brain is adjusted to see precisely in line,, regardless the fact that,, to you and me everything becomes slewed to the side visually.
So this fish with its incredible vision coupled with its intelligence (needed to learn and hunt insects), definitely gives personal and even specific attention.
My first one, did not flinch at anyone passing, but when I passed,, it would go over the top nuts, almost like tricked up in a vid shot.
It would spit at 100% accuracy every time anything I held up or even at me as I walked past for attention.
Would not spit for anyone else.
I had a terrarium over tank top instead of lids,,, I had a 54mm hole drilled on the terrarium side towards top where he'd spit through.
I had exhaust fans coupled with fluros rigged up as a moth and nocturnal insect trap,,,, as well as concealed maggot/fly breeding which I'd let all these insects fly around and land on the plants in the top half and watch the archer go nuts,,,, good times.
Also in my breed room,,, I walk down one of my isles my fish greet and adore me,,,, anyone else at all, they are all smacking into sides and crapping themselves.

That's really cool - what size tank would you need (while I'm dreaming away)?

#6 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:51 PM

Well there's that level of cruelness that everyone tends to see in different ways.
But I'd feel right in saying 4x2 footprint for one and whatever else tank mates,,, but a six foot would be nice.

An idea I've had in my mind for like last 15 years lol, is get two identical tanks,,, use a jarrah bead (40x20mm), mitre each corner and glue directly to top edge of tank about 20mm down, you could screw the corners with araldite combination,, then from bunnings a roll of weather strip with a sticky side and run around top edge of tank thickness inside of the timber you glued to the tank.
Finally get the identical tank and flip it upside down and place over top of other, "note" the door seal strip is between the top edges of each tank pressing hard together as result of gravity from stacking.
Would be best to drill 4x 50mm holes in each bottom corners of the top tank,,,, which is of course the top of the project once stacked and finished,,, just silicone flyscreen mesh over and glass square blocks to cover for winter heat gain.
Holes allow for oxygen and evaporation release,, otherwise sometimes when you want to view the crazy carnage it can be fogged up.
The holes release it.

Endless greenery will see your top half filled with lifelike ferns and tropical creeper look.

It's the green bottle flies which are the ones that work best for the show, as they're dumb and lazy and love sitting along edges of things like leaf tips and also easiest specie to manage,,,, but the moth night trap is a little less funky...

Sounds like a good interesting scenario to for one of your comps.

#7 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

Geez, I'd love that - the fish are "saying" they need another, larger fish tank. It's just coincidence you're wet and I'm not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users