Is There A Standard Stocking Ratio

Stocking ratio 280 litre tank

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

I wonder if there is a standard stocking ratio that people use.

I am getting a larger aquarium but can't keep all the smaller ones so will likely need to limit the Number of species I keep. I want to keep everything but something's got to give.

#2 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

http://www.aqadvisor.com/ is pretty good but doesn't have all species. I've hear 1cm / L is a relatively easy baseline.

stocking-levels.png

Plenty of variables tho. How much is fed and how often? Are there plants? CO2? How often do you change the water? Do you use additional aeration? What species? Are they fully grown? Messy eaters?

#3 Monkau

Monkau
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think its up to you personally what you want to have and the level of commitment you have to maintaining the tank.

I try to have just enough fish that that the tank looks alive.

Of course that also means less work as the water doesn't get as dirty. I'm a little lazy so this suits me well :)

I have a 300l tank with a ~60l sump...

currently basic planted, running approx 50 small - med tropical fish and I feel like it would seem crowded if I added more- I'm sure some people will say it needs more but that's just their preference - I certainly don't want many more fish because i don't want to clean the tank more often :s

(lets see if i can get an image to actually work for me)

fiiish_zps9aba6096.jpg

Id say it depends on what fish you like, how much mess those species make, the general layout of the tank (ie mine is deep rather than long, I have another that is long and shallow) and the type of filter... and the big one: how often you feel like cleaning :)

#4 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Monkau, Nice pics the tank looks great :) your plants will be helping out your filter a great deal

so to answer the question, you should be measuring your nitrates to determine stocking levels and water change frequency, it comes down the the water parameters. there easily measured with a master test kit for like 30$, but if you want something that's a really precise nitrate measure i cant recommend anything but the saliferts tester,

it measures down to 1 ppm nitrate.

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 20 July 2014 - 04:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users