• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#21 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (nvrenuf @ Nov 22 2010, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daz What camera did you use. And assuming its an slr, what lens was it. with or with out flash ?

Gday

Yep I've got a Nikon D90 with the 18-55 VR & 55-200 VR lens kit (good guess guys! wink.gif)

With flash in all shots and I switch between each lense ocassonally.

I'll use the onboard or a single mounted flash if I need to move around a bit. If I want to focus on a particular area of the tank I use the mounted flash as well as 1 or 2 slave flashes that are attached to the glass using suction cups. Plenty of light allows me to get a larger DoF and a higher hit rate of in-focus shots. Also with this method I can shoot with the room in near darkness preventing annoying relfections.

Here's a demo shot of the setup -

And the result-

I prefer to use the 55-200 lens as it's sharp and allows me to sit about a meter away from the tank so I don't spook the fish.

Dazza

#22 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hey Scotty I've got many species in my display tank and In breeding tank, breeding about 4 species (Malawi that is) ATM.

Daz- the ventralis shot turned out quite nice. Is he from the old colony?

Cheers
Jack.

#23 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

Still got the ventralis but the numbers of girls are declining unfortunately, plenty of boys though!

#24 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

Great fish mate. Nice vibrant colours. What are you feeding?

The phenos that i got off you are going great also.

#25 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

Daz- I hope you still have some females left to breed with so they don't "die out". How's the spilo doing? Caught him yet or is he still giving you a hard time?

Hey Alex,
It's great to hear. I feed them mainly NLS pellets. I also feed them aqua one pellets and Hikari cichlid formula sometimes as well as occasional frozen brime shrimp, especially for the big predators in there. Some of them can finish off a whole cube in one mouth full. Pretty awsome feeding sight. So yeah it's a bit of a mix of diet for them really.

Cheers
Jack.

Edited by JWin, 26 November 2010 - 02:02 AM.

#26 nvrenuf

nvrenuf
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

Where did you find those suction caps for the flash's ? They would be so handy

#27 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

eBay is your friend smile.gif

Jack, I've got the spilo and fusco in another tank, much easier to catch now.

Daz

#28 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

nice work daz, think i'll haftoo kidknap you and your camera bag and lock you up in my fish shed sometime soon!!!!! wink.gif

#29 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

Haha that's funny Scotty. I can Imagine him locked up in the shed with the camera.

Daz- Let me no when u caught em.

Cheers
Jack.

#30 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

Very nice fish, I think I might start a malawi tank again soon.

Just wondering what species these 2 are? after seeing these pics I would like to start my new tank off with some of these, they look awesome, can anyone help?

thanks Den

#31 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Pretty sure you're well aware already Den and as far as you're concerned they are hybrids -
http://www.perthcich...x...st&p=171969

Think again if you're planning on hijacking JWin's photo thread with another one of your hybrid debates.

Most recent discussion on Dragonbloods and OB peacocks can be found here - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=33918

Daz

#32 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hi Den,
1- Aulonocara sp. Marbled
2- Aulonocara sp. Tangerine.

I am surprised you asked cuz I would think that you already know what they are or were you just asking to start something?

Cheers
Jack.

Edited by JWin, 15 December 2010 - 12:34 PM.

#33 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi Daz I read through the links but couldnt see the species name of these fish?

Hi Jack not meaning to start anything Im just asking a simple question, the information you've provided is appreciated but its not the species name, youve provided a Genus and a common name, I was asking for the species name so that I can order some correctly, but thanks for trying, its a start.

I've had a good look and I cant find the species names so thats why Im asking if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it, especially the one with the blotches, its a beautiful fish, I just like to ensure I know the species of any malawi Im thinking about keeping, thanks.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Edited by Den, 15 December 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#34 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

You're not the only one who wants to know the species names Den, or at least where/what they originated from. It's a question with no answer unfortunately.

#35 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

Where are you ordering from to start with? I am sure any supplier would know what you are talking about
when it comes to marbled peacock or dragon blood peacock.
As far as I know that's the names they are known for in the trade.
I don't think they have an actual species name that you are after but I may be wrong.

Cheers
Jack.

#36 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

You're right Jack, marbled peacock or OB peacock are trade names and dragonbloods also have a few other common names (tangerine, strawberry etc) but there is no scientific name as their lineage is unknown. Many consider them as hybrids (which is the point Den is obviously trying to make) whilst others suspect them to be line bred. I would love to know what species they originated from but we will probably never know. The thread links Daz has put up cover this whole topic quite well.

Matt

Edited by Salpon, 15 December 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#37 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

Well done guys, great fish and great photography! cheers.gif

#38 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Matt- That's exactly the situation. Thanks for backing it up. My sole purpose of keeping them is for display as they are great looking fish but not to promote hybrids.
I think line bred is a more appropriate word for them.

Kieran- Thanks mate. Appreciate your comment.

Cheers
Jack.

#39 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

What is your problem here Den? If you have problem with the rule and the committe speak directly to them. You don't have to take this out on someone else's post. I keep them because they are great display fish and I am not saying " Hey Everyone come here, keep this fish. it's an awsome hybrid " am I? I am not promoting them. Keeping them or not is the aquarist's choice. If you are mad because you can't post your flowerhorn pics that's your problem, not mine. I don't know why everything has to be a debate with you.

Jack.

Edited by Cawdor, 16 December 2010 - 08:45 PM.
removed hijacking posts from this thread. this is a photo thread about Jack's fish. Cawdor

#40 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Reason for edit: removed hijacking posts from this thread. this is a photo thread about Jack's fish. Cawdor

Tim I was discussing the fish in the photos, so Im confused how you can call it a hijack? if your gonna edit and delete my posts here Tim, please give the real reason, "committee being exposed for embaressing double standard".

What is your problem here Den? If you have problem with the rule and the committe speak directly to them. You don't have to take this out on someone else's post. I keep them because they are great display fish and I am not saying " Hey Everyone come here, keep this fish. it's an awsome hybrid " am I? I am not promoting them. Keeping them or not is the aquarist's choice. If you are mad because you can't post your flowerhorn pics that's your problem, not mine. I don't know why everything has to be a debate with you.

Jack(Im using a very soft polite voice here) since you've asked me I will politely explain;

Im sure some people are actually interested in knowing that fish in your picture is a hybrid, personally Ive got nothing against you or anyone posting your hybrids here, but I think it needs to be noted so that members are aware, hence my post pointing that out(now deleted by Tim). Also the committee deletes any member who posts up a flowerhorn in the same way as you've posted your hybrid peacock, they claim showing what you are keeping is promoting and against their T&Cs, hope that answers your questions.

Mods if you intend to delete please note, this post is completely about the fish in this post, and a polite reponse to Jacks questions, so you cant also try to call this a hijack as well.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Edited by Cawdor, 16 December 2010 - 09:58 PM.
pm sent to Den. no double standards here. Cawdor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users