Photo

Fish Vectors!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Meghan

Meghan
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:40 AM

First of all, sorry if the image is too big. I couldn't find the post that tells me what I'm allowed? So I sized it to what photobucket said is "forum sized".

Each semester at uni I've consistently come up with increasingly more and more elaborate ways of procrastinating from actually doing anything productive.

This semester's project has been drawing up vectors of tropical and marine fish.
Well, so far it's only been marine fish, because I've only completed one, and it's of a marine fish, but the idea is to branch out into all kinds of fish housable in aquaria.

Here's that aforementioned completed drawing, for anyone who is curious:
An Australian Harlequin Tusk Fish, my favourite (domesticated?) marine fish to date.

(drawn in Adobe Illustrator over about 6-7 hours with my mouse and wacom tablet)

The problem is that I, first of all, don't have that many weird and wonderful fish (lovely though they are), and secondly that I don't have mad photography skills (just average ones!).

I have seen some amazing photos of fish and aquariums here, however, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to donate photos to my little art project. I would send you a PDF of the final product, if you would like, or something. Naturally I wouldn't be using the images to make any kind of profit (if only!), this is purely for my amusement. I might put them on my art website with the photo-taker's permission, though.

So if anyone is interested or willing to let me use your photos please let me know! biggrin.gif

Thanks!

- Vectors are images which are drawn mathematically by your computer. That is, instead of a vector image being made up of a series of differently coloured pixels at a certain resolution, like a raster format image (JPG, GIF, etc), a vector is made up of lines which the computer reads as co-ordinates on a field, which are all relative to one another. Basically this means that a vector image can be scaled infinitely larger or smaller without any distortion or lack of quality, where raster type images are quite limited in how well they can be scaled. Vectors are just about my favourite type of computer-related randomness ever.
PDFs, by the way, are capable of maintaining the vector as a vector without rasterising it. Therefore a pdf of a vector image will remain infinitely scaleable, whereas a copy of a vector image that has been saved as a JPG, like the link above, is compressed and so loses some pictoral quality and also its infinite scaleability.

#2 Meghan

Meghan
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:44 AM

Critique is also welcome and appreciated! smile.gif

#3 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

That looks absolutely awesome!! Are you just looking for cichlids and what not? If so send me your email and ill email you a whole bunch of pics to choose from biggrin.gif

#4 Dave76

Dave76

Website

• Admin

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

That looks really great - I'll sift through some of my Discus photos if you're interested and send you some.

Cheers

Dave

#5 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi Meghan biggrin.gif

I like what you have done there Exelent biggrin.gif

I am willing to let you use some of my images if you wish biggrin.gif

Cheers Cobby

#6 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

Amazing

great job!!

Graeme

#7 mickya

mickya
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

That's gnarly smile.gif love it

#8 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

Awesome job Mehgan. wink.gif

#9 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

Great job Meghan, if you still need photos I can email you some, just let me know what you're after.

#10 Meghan

Meghan
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks very much for the kind comments and offers of photos everyone! biggrin.gif
In general I'm just looking for fish with interesting markings or bright colours. smile.gif

#11 RedCod

RedCod
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

Haha…I was doing the exact same thing back when I was in uni - procrastinating by drawing pictures of fish. Mine weren’t as elaborate as yours, just with the good ol’ Paint and the trusty mouse.

BTW, pic looks great.

#12 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

whats your email so i can send through some pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users