• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hi all

Began assembling my 6M x 3M x 2.1M shed today. Pretty happy with my efforts so far as I consider myself not to have a "handy" bone in my body LOL. Managed to get this done on my own with a couple of minor mistakes along the way.

The location. Already has bitumen down which is a bonus!

Some of the bits n pieces.

Rear wall assembled (laying on ground).

All walls up. Roof will be done tomorrow hopefully.

Any tips/feedback appreciated. One thing I am concerned about is the flooring. Whether or not I should lay something over the bitumen inside the shed. Firstly I want to prevent any unnecessary temperature transfer that will be passed via the floor from the outside. Secondly worried about water entering the shed via the floor on rainy days.

Dazza

#2 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

Water getting into the shed ( fish-house).

If the bitumen slopes towards the shed, then I would just silastic on that side. Where the bitumen slopes away from the shed I wouldn't bother, as this will help any spillages etc drain away.

I doubt if you would get much heat transfer from the outside to inside the shed.

Hope this helps.

What do you mean you will put the roof on tomorrow....don't you have any outdoor lights...or a torch ?

You're getting slack Dazza.

Col

#3 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

Any tips/feedback appreciated. One thing I am concerned about is the flooring. Whether or not I should lay something over the bitumen inside the shed. Firstly I want to prevent any unnecessary temperature transfer that will be passed via the floor from the outside. Secondly worried about water entering the shed via the floor on rainy days.

Dazza

Hi Dazza,

There's not much you can do about it at this stage, but you will lose significant heat via the bitumen floor. As Col suggests, I think it would help to seal the shed to the bitumen, but I would do it all around the base of the shed to prevent draughts at least. You will need to drill some holes in the floor for drainage of spills etc.
The best sealant would be a silastic formulated for masonry (non-acid cure).

Syd.

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (Cicolid @ Mar 21 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean you will put the roof on tomorrow....don't you have any outdoor lights...or a torch ?

You're getting slack Dazza.

I'm not saying it didn't cross my mind to continue on last night but I don't think the neighbours would've appreciated it wink.gif

Thanks Col & Syd for the info so far. Regarding drilling a drain do you mean downpipe/soakwell style or just a few wholes leading outside the shed??? (keeping in mind using a drill is as 'handy' as I get wink.gif)

Daz

#5 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

I am assuming you have gotten council approval for this shed???
If not I would recommend you knock on the neighbours door and make sure they dont have a problem with it, cos if they do complain you will be pulling it down... stupid neighbours!

How are you getting power to the shed. It might have been nice to run a conduit under the ground before you put the walls up if you dont want the main power cable visible.

Looks like a good job so far... feel free to come help with mine when you are finished!

Andrew

#6 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

Looking good Dazza,

Regarding the power to the shed, if you do dig a conduit in make sure it's the correct type and sufficient depth.
Otherwise it will be a waste of time because the sparky won't be able to use it.

I'm happy to give advice re the electrical, but unfortunately aren't able to do it for ya.

ado

#7 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

I've hit a brick wall! I'm struggling to get my head around the next stages of adding the supports and building the roof. The instructions have been photocopied a billion times and I'm not structurally engineer minded sad.gif Anyone with some experience in building DIY sheds I'd luv some assistance! smile.gif

Neighbours should be okay with it. I approved the parapet wall they want to build on the fence line. Better go knock on their door to be on the safe side.

Power wise I was thinking of getting a line run from the house roof/eve down to the shed (about 3 or 4 metres)?? Jack hammering and digging a channel is way out of my league.

Daz

#8 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Mar 22 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Power wise I was thinking of getting a line run from the house roof/eve down to the shed (about 3 or 4 metres)?? Jack hammering and digging a channel is way out of my league. Daz

Dazza, Re. above.

I have an electric 26kg demolition hammer drill ( jack-hammer) which would just sail through bitumen.

Col

#9 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

Anyone with some experience in building DIY sheds I'd luv some assistance!

What sort of assistance do you need?
I might be able to pop around and give you a bit of a hand, but I'm only available during the day in the week.
Not sure if that suits you at all?

#10 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

I think Col has any tool you might Need Daz biggrin.gif . If You need a hand I am available when I am not working, just let me know when you need a body. I am not much of the handy type but have just finished building my shed with a lot of help from Col and others.

Tony

#11 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

What brand of shed is it?
A bit of help with good old google might find you an online set of instructions.

I know structural steel, house sheds are not quite to my knowledge, unless you want to upgrade to 6mm+ thick steel and 150mm purlins, guaranteed to never ever ever fall down! But the cost factor may blow out a bit.

#12 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the offers guys! I'll be in touch if/when I need u smile.gif Ado, it'll be weekends but thanks anyways smile.gif

It's a Spic 'n' Span shed ( http://www.youraussiemate.com.au ). Locally made AFAIK. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow to clarify the points that I'm stuck at.

Regarding jackhammering a drain, channel etc do you all think this is worthwhile? I was thinking more of a pump to suck the water out into a large tub/container and from there feed into the garden??

Daz

#13 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Gday all

A couple more updates.

Wall and roof supports are up as of yesterday.

Roof panels and doors are up as of today. Adding flashing, door handles etc will be the final step to building the shed.

The strength of the roof supports have me concerned so might look at reinforcing it further and perhaps even a centre support down to the ground.

The roof panels don't line up perfectly at the 2 ends of the shed so I'm assuming I haven't built it perfectly square. I'm now left with a gap of about an inch. Should I bother taking down the roof and realigning or just cover the gap with some flashing?

Next step is to test for leaks and start sealing. I assume I'll need to keep the internals as dry as possible if I'm adding an insulator of some sort?

Not bad having done most of it on my own hey! smile.gif

Daz

#14 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

Looking good! What will you do with all that space hehe.......more fish hey wink.gif

#15 convict paul

convict paul
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

lookin good daz!

bad luck with the gap, bet u can fix it though wink.gif
gonna have alot of money worth of fish in there! hope u dont loose any! sad.gif
cheers, paul

#16 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Remember the 3 4 5 triangle rule from school Daz?
Quick way to check if it is square.
I used to use it the check tilt panels againg surveyors points.

If it is out of square and isnt too hard to straighten, I would do it, but I can be a pedantic prick, thats what the guys working under me used to call me anyway.
If its too difficult... flashing is cheap!
They make it cheap on purpose, if you knew how off square some buildings are... flashing covers all!

Looks good tho.
How are you going to insulate it? are you going to have gyprock on the walls? If so what are you going to screw it to?

Andrew

#17 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (werdna @ Mar 30 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember the 3 4 5 triangle rule from school Daz?

Please explain.... biggrin.gif

Insulation wise I'm thinking the foil roll stuff with the one furry side. Or the spray on stuff that Steve Green mentioned. Need to source who does it though....

Daz

#18 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

Measure 3 metres on one wall, then measure 4 metres on the other wall. If they are square, the distance between the two points will be exactly 5 metres.
Doesnt have to be metres, can be feet, or can be 1.5m, 2m and 2.5m.

Hope this makes sense, if not I'll draw a pretty picture!

Andrew

#19 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

It's the famous pythagoras theorem...remember a squared plus b squared = c squared?

You can use any measurements if your shed is smaller than the values Andrew gave you.

#20 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

And a quick way of seeing how off square it is, you just measure the two opposite corners, if square they should be the same

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users