Fish Room Construction

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

Hi all
Well the wife and I made the unfortunate move to Sydney almost a year and a half ago now. We rented a house for almost the whole time while we decided if we were going to stay or head back to sunny WA. Well, we decided to stay for a while so looked around for a house. Part of the selection criteria for me was that it NEEDED to have a structure that I could turn into a fish room. I didnt want to have too many tanks in the house (like I had in Perth) for 2 main reasons 1) I didnt want to be nervous about water changes on carpet 2) There was no way we would be able to afford a house of sufficient size in Sydney to devote rooms to fish 3) theres a baby on the way so space inside is a premium 4) I wanted an OUTSIDE room where I could escape from the wife smile.gif

Anyway, we found a nice old house in what is essentially a little country town outside Sydney. Some people drive the 2 hrs(during peak hours) into Sydney to work...in a week they spend a whole day just in the car travelling to and from work, crazy stuff. Fortunately both the wife and I work locally.

And so let the pics begin...this started about 2 months ago so some of the text may sound a bit strange

Some people may have seen this post on other forums but I thought it worth posting here as well

Well...its going to be a lot more work than I originally thought. I cant move any fish from the old house until this is done....and theres a few weeks work involved here....I wish I had some holidays owing smile.gif
The walls are lined but theres no insulation in so all the lining will have to come off and insulation put in......Ill then hold the batts Ive got in place with roofing or wall foil.

The roof is an issue, Im not sure how Im going to put the insulation up and keep it in place....I may just use the roofing or wall foil and support it with battens....but the joists are going to cause me some grief and the lights are awkwardly placed.

Theres a really nice welded shelf right along one wall....but its no good for me in here so that will have to come down...it weighs a tonne.

This weekend Ill strip the inside of the shed and have a friend do the electrics for me...luckily it appears the shed is on its own circuit...but of course the circuit board is in the wrong place (it will be behind a rack of tanks)...so Ill have to see if that can be moved.

The wife thought I just looked confused and a little overwelmed...she might be right smile.gif

I managed to find about 100 sq metres of second hand insulation. It was used under a factory roof. I got enough to put a double layer in. You can see all the fluoro lights I managed to pick up as well (in the background)

Internal cladding is off.

The friend gets started on wiring the room up

The new power points are all in. He rewired the whole room actually...Much safer I think

The room is on its own circuit...he popped a new one in for me with breakers rather than fuses. The timer for the lights will be going on here as well soon.

The new power points...all are double. The single one is for the lights and will be timer controlled, the double is for power

Slim Shady in his sperm suit getting ready to put in the fibreglass. The wife thinks we will be raided by the local police soon. New neighbours mived in, putting in lights and insulation adn dressed in protective gear, looks like Im boiling up something illegla in the shed.

All the insulation batts is in. I had no chance of being able to double it up. Its just too difficult to work with when your doing this by yourself.

and the final layer is on. I used some of the wall/roofing foil to hold the batts in place. Im going to use strapping to help support the batts in the roof space. That job is for later when I have some feeling back in my finger and shoulders.

Problems?: so far very few. The weight of the batts is a pain and I really wish the wife could have helped me...Id be happier if I had a double layer up in the roof.

The are some gaps between the edges of the roofing foil and the ceiling. I need to some how closed those gaps. I might have to get some of the foil tape and close the gaps up.

The roller door is still there and not insulated. Thats for another day.

Next job?: in this order really
1. Move the tanks form the old place
2. Pallet racking
3. New tanks
4. New fish
5. Have a nice rest

Mike :buggered:

Picked up the pallet racking today. Got a great deal on it and the guy even had it all dismantled and the supports cut so the end frames are 600 mm deep (I want them to be around 2 foot deep for the tanks) for me.....I didnt ask him to do it for me so Im pretty happy with it. It also means that I was able to get all the bits and pieces in one trip.

I ordered all the bulkheads, elbows, tee pieces etc Ill need for most of the tanks yesterday...wow that was a surprise on how expensive it was and I used an online store that had discount prices.

When its all finished Ill probably put up a list of costs for the various bits and pieces....Im not sure I really want to know but some people might be interested.

Next phase:
1. Order the tanks. One of my LFS has the best prices Ive found so far in Sydney so Im lucky (and Ive called them all pretty much biggrin.gif )

Regards
Mike

One wall of racks is up, just waiting for the tanks now...once that side is done I can move onto the other side of the room.

I ordered a big box of pumps, filter material etc recently.

The first lot of tanks were delivered yesterday. Fifteen 24 long x 18 wide by 12 high tanks....theyll be used to house small shelldwellers.

The tanks are drilled at the back right and will have 32 mm bulkheads draining to a common sump.

The backs are painted. Prepared by removing as much loose silicon as possible, cleaned with warm water and detergent and then primed with ESP.

Three coats of paint applied with a roller was enough. I left 3 hrs between each coat. The dog in the background was a constant companion.

Todays job is to move them down to the fishroom, adjust the pallet racking shelves and start on the plumbing...Im still waiting for the sump to be made

Mike smile.gif

Ok...I spent the afternoon working on the plumbing...I thought it was going to be difficult but as it turns out it was pretty straight forward. A wise member here once told me to put do the plumbing BEFORE you put the tanks on the shelves so I layed the tanks out, front down, oriented how they would be setup on the rack

I attached the 32 mm bulkheads Ive gone a bit overboard on the piping, maybe a little too big but my thinking was that if I want, I can reduce the pipes, I cant really increase the pipes if I decided the flow was too slow. I also really wanted to move some water through these tanks. All the smaller tanks have holes drilled for 32 mm bulkheads and plumbing, the larger tanks will have 40 mm bulkheads.

I then screwed on an elbow.

and then a male piece, threaded on one end only

and then either a tee piece or an elbow

I then simply joined them all up with the correct size pipe

I then pulled off the completed piping, moved the tanks to the rack and then popped the plumbing back on again. I havent glued any of the fittings yet, that will be the last thing I do when Im happy its all going to fit.

I left about 30 cm or so behind the tanks for me to squeeze into. Im pretty tall, I wish Id left a bit more space as it was difficult getting my arms and legs in there...the wife cant help as she's preg and cant fit behind there at all biggrin.gif

Heres a pic of the inside of one of the tanks...Im using stainless steel bulkhead strainers

And finally of the almost completed rack...Im just waiting for the sump now, it will be going on the ground tpo teh left of the rack. Ive got a little space on the rack on the right hand side, just enough to squeeze in a 16 inch wide tank on each row....

Mike

#2 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

Great write up and pics Mike biggrin.gif

Very detailed. If you dont midnd me asking, how much has it set you back so far, looks very good/expensive.

Can see, it's planned out well and a lot of effort put in.

Cant wait to see updates biggrin.gif

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

That looks absolutely awesome Mike!!!! Great writeup, I really enjoyed reading through this and looking at the pics. Put some pics up when it's all finished!

#4 notsomot

notsomot
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

are you going to put an air con in it?... iv got a feeling that its going to get warm in there over summer

#5 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

Awesome stuff Mike. Looks a bit more planned and professional compared to your fish room when you were in Jandakot wink.gif

Do you have to do anything with the windows (insulation wise)?

How will the plumbing, filtration, water changing all work?

Daz

#6 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Awesome.. Very detailed.. Enjoyed reading all of it.

#7 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:07 PM

yes great write up - look forward to seeing how it progresses.

I had the same hang up with how to insulate a roller door. In the end I decided to just ditch it and put up a small gyprock wall with a conventional double door. Was easier to do than I thought and works well.

#8 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

Great setup Mike. Sad to see you stay in Sydney tho...

#9 pl6608

pl6608
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

Like everyone has said great write up!!!

Looks like you have a great place to "4) I wanted an OUTSIDE room where I could escape from the wife " you said it I didn't wink.gif HEHE

Look forward to updated pics and good luck with the new baby.

Travis

#10 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Looking great Mike....I saw this on aquariumlife a while back wink.gif We miss your apistogramma!

You may find you will need to remove or scratch away a small amount of the paint where the o-ring on the flange/bulkhead is. Ideally you will want the o-ring in direct contact with the glass, not with the paint. Saves any messing around in the future.

#11 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

Very interesting read, has it really been over 18 months since you left WA? Time really does fly. I've got too much to do at the moment to consider getting back into fish, maybe a few years and I will look up this post and grab some pointers or I might just call you around if you decide to leave your fish room smile.gif

Daniel

#12 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hi Mike

Great job, I'm also planning my own fishroom atm, made all my measurments today and I plan to start buying the bits tomorrow, I'd like to see your finished plumbing, my plan is to have fully automated water changes in my room.

Also noticed you have alot of power outlets, Im guessing you are having in tank heaters? wouldnt central heating be cheaper? I seen a friends fish room the other day and its massive and he is running x1 2hp daiken inverter aircon and it keeps the room at stable 26C without using too much power.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#13 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Jul 5 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Mike

Great job, I'm also planning my own fishroom atm, made all my measurments today and I plan to start buying the bits tomorrow, I'd like to see your finished plumbing, my plan is to have fully automated water changes in my room.

Also noticed you have alot of power outlets, Im guessing you are having in tank heaters? wouldnt central heating be cheaper? I seen a friends fish room the other day and its massive and he is running x1 2hp daiken inverter aircon and it keeps the room at stable 26C without using too much power.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Hi Den
Ill be running in tank heaters for the time being but intend to get an inverter aircon, Ive left a littel space above the door for it...for heating and cooling....about half the powerpoints are for lights...the rest are just there in case I need them

Mike

#14 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Hi Mike

I just plumbed up a set of tanks and it was a bit of a struggle and Im about to setup another rack of tanks, I was wondering how you did your water intlets and what sized pump/s did you use? and what online store did you use for your fittings? I went to bunnings and got stung badly with the last lot of fittings I purchased. I am surprised that your outlet pipes can handle the water flow along so many tanks, I have x3 3foot tanks in a bank and their outlets are just keeping up with water flow and they are joined by 40mm pipe.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#15 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

welldone.gif but, where are the updates.... angry.gif

great stuff

#16 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

It has been a while since Ive done and update so Ill post some pics tonight

Den
Ive used 10,000 lph pumps on all the racks (two of the bigger ones Ive added another 5000 lph (I think) to the sump to increase water flow). When I can afford them Ill repalce all the pumps with Laguna 16,000 lph pumps.

All the returns are just black poly pipe. I use 32 mm from the pump to the row of tanks then reduce to either 16mm or 12 mm depending on the size of the tank...each tank retrun has its own tap so I can increase or decrease the flow depending on how much is going into each tank on the rack (ie the top tanks usually have the tap wide open, the bottom tanks have them almost closed)

I bought all my fittings from wetearth.com.au....heaps cheaper than Bunnings and lots more choice too.

Its not clear what sort of trouble your having? Are the tanks filling up too quickly? ie. is there too much water going in for the size of the bulkheads youve used?... or is not enough water going in?..ie are the pumps running dry of water?

Mike

#17 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

OK...here goes

Fry tanks
All 24 x 12 x 12.
Plumbed into a single sump
UV unit on sump
Room for another 6 tanks as money becomes available

Back wall
Left side is 24 x 12 x 18
All plumbed off single sump
Houses various shellies
Space on the extreme right for another three tanks
UV unit on sump

Right side all 36 x 24 x 18 high
All plumbed of a single sump
Houses all tangs
Top shelf is used for storage but will eventually have 24 x 12 x 12 tanks for apistos and natives run off individual sponges

Overview of complete wall

Front wall
Two 6 x 2 x 20 inches
Run off a sump
Houses all tangs
Top shelf has some 24 x 12 x 12 for apistos

Six 36 x 24 x 18
One 6 x 2 x 20 inches
Run off a sump
Will house mostly malawis
Space for another 3 footer on the bottom row

Ok...heres some of the stats

Racks
Each of the racks is pallet racking...the width of the shelves were reduced to 600 mm to suit the 600 mm tanks
I bought it all second hand of ebay
The shelves are 20 mm MDF (Bunnings) topped with 19 mm poly (from Clark Rubber)
Plus: very easy to set up
Cheap to buy second hand
Very, very strong
Con: looks a bit ugly

Tanks
All made new for me as the sizes are basically NOT standard

Filtration
All use a sump system.
Each rack has its own sump
I converted old tanks into the sumps, each as 5 compartment. Doing it this way was cost effective but the sumps are pretty tall (50 cm high) which made running the water from the bottom tanks a bit challenging
Filter material is in order in the tank: filter wool (from Spotlight), sponge (from AOA), bags of coral pieces or Hydrotron.
Return pump is a low wattage pump form AOA....I’m trying to keep costs down. Eventually Ill replace them with even lower wattage pumps but they are much more expensive than the ones I have now.
Two of the sumps have a UV attached via a smaller powerhead.
Plus: seems to be efficient at polishing the water and maintaining good quality
Con: I’m nervous about disease control. If something gets into a tank then it will get into ALL the tanks on that systems. I practice strict quarantine so this should NOT be a problem
The layout of the racks will make servicing some of the sumps a bit fiddly

Room insulation
I would have used proper R rated batts for the ceiling if I had my time again. On hot days I can feel the heat coming through the roof.
Stock
Ill mostly be housing Africans but also have a thing for natives and apistogrammas.

Cost: not accurate to the cent but its close
Insulation $180 Second hand
Pallet racking $1300 Second hand
Power $900
Lights $200 Second hand
Plumbing $1300 New
Tanks $3000 New
Extras $1100 sand, nails, screws, rocks, mdf, poly etc etc

NOTES
1. If you can get someone to help you then DO IT
2. Don’t skimp on the insulation, I really regret not insulating the roof more (the walls seme to be ok). In hindsight I would have bought proper rated batts for the ceiling and used the cheaper stuff for the walls.
3. If you can do a project like this with no time frame then things would have been nicer...I had to get the room ready for tanks in around three weeks (and was working full time) so teh setup was a bit of a rush.

FEEL free to ask questions......

#18 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

Looks great Mike and thanks for the info, I was getting too much flow into the tanks and not enough coming out, I think the problem was that I didnt have good strainers, I made something up which I will post up later on.

Whats the black corner protectors on your tanks called and where did you get it from?

Cheers
Den

#19 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hi Den
The tanks came with them so Ive NO idea what theyre called or where to get them....sorry..

Mike

#20 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

Great stuff Noddy

I can see you spending many quiet hours outh there instead of inside biggrin.gif
Yell out if your chasing any rainbow eggs

Graeme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users