mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

huge, i like it

#22 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Nice one Den, Looking good. Is the room heated?

#23 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hi Azz, no room is not heated, the fujitsu system in the room next door can warm and cool the whole house, but it uses alot of power, Im thinking of low cost ways to heat the room because my last power bill was out of control, gas these days is expensive and I hate gas heating anyway, solar pays itself off too slow, seems a no win situation.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#24 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

I'm working on ways Den.... smile.gif

#25 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

Good luck Andrew, you may notice the skylights on the ends of the pitched ceiling, they are insulated with triple core panels, they let light and warmth through during the day, in summer I will probably have to cover them up, in winter they help warm the room in the day time, but the challenges are the cold nights and mornings, then the room temp drops even though this room is double insulated, I loose most of the heat throught the window and slide door.

#26 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

A mate who owns a shop on Melb uses one of those Patio heater's to heat his shop, It bloody hot in there but it works well wink.gif

#27 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

Have you thought about double glazing the window?
That reduces heat transfer by 33%.
Wont be a huge difference, but it will be a start.
The other thing you could do is add nice thick pretty curtains, open during the day and close them at night.

With the amount of insulation you have does the room retain alot of heat in winter?
If you could warm the room to around 35°+ during the day in winter do you reckon you would get much of a heat drop by morning the next day?

But now that we have passed the worst of winter, the main issue will be keeping heat out...

If you want, when the light is ready I'll drop it off and we'll have a chat about some possible cheap options.

#28 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Andrew that would be great, I agree with the curtains helping, the only thing I hate about them is they seem to be dust magnets, and they take up space and get in the way, Id like to find a different solution if possible.

I know it may not make sense because logically if you are not handling the cold you should also have problems with the heat but I think it will be OK in the summer, it handled all the hot days in the past fine even with the skylights exposed, heat gets trapped in the pitch (I noticed when up on a ladder working on the ceiling) while the room stays fairly comfortable. The main difference is that all the walls are shaded, this obviously wont help in winter but it is the advantage I have in summer, the only place that gets direct sun is the roof, and that is insulated with 1.5R batts, 75mm freezer panels and then a 30mm air gap between the panel and the gyprock, so I dont expect much heat to penetrate the roof.

Cheers
Den

#29 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

What direction do the windows face?

#30 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

South and they are under the patio.