My Fish Shed (update 12/03/2013)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hi all,

So after a few years out of the hobby I have returned and the bug has just hit me even harder than before so the time has come to build a fish shed in the backyard, So along the way I thought I would make a journal so feel free to ask any questions and happy for any advice as well smile.gif

So it all started with the shed

The shed is a 5x3mx2.1m wall height this is all the council would allow me to go because of the R coding on my property. Thought to myself at the start about not getting council permission but then after talking to a few people about it they highly recommended it so went I went through it. All up to get council permission was about 3 weeks a bit of advice if anybody else is thinking about doing this don't forget about getting water corporation approval as well. The shed slab is 100mm thick talking to the concreter he said that it will be plenty for what I needed it.

So while the roof was going on I placed the roof insulation on at the same time which made the whole process 100x easier ended up just using bigger screws to hold it all down. The hardest part of the whole process was making sure I have enough sag in the insulation. The insulation I used for the roof was Air-Cell Insulbreak 65 was planning on going the retrosheild but that was mighty expensive and I got a really good deal on the insulbreak on gumtree smile.gif

So the next step was getting the power installed

I'm pretty lucky because I have a mate that is a sparky and runs is own business so it's not costing me an arm and a leg. I have really overkilled the powerpoints but I want to make sure I don't need to run any extension cords or anything like that. The shed will run on its own circuit so if something does happen in won't short the whole house out.

So my mate wasn't able to finish the power yet because he didn't expect it to be such a big job he said biggrin.gif but in the mean time I have started to to put the insulation on the walls the insulation on the walls is the same as on the roof.

As you will see in most of the photo's the insulation looks a bit rough but I still have to tape all the joints and tidy it all up.

As you can see I did come across a bit of a problem when my sprays come on for the lawn I am getting some water in I am fixing this by waterproofing the base inside and out and water testing the it as I go.

So all this was done the weekend just gone and hopefully I will find more time this weekend to finish it all off power is getting finished on Wednesday so its all go from there.

Hope you all have enjoyed my journal so far and feel free to ask any questions smile.gif

Edited by slink, 12 March 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#2 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Looking good bro I'm doin my shed soon just wondering how much u paid for the concrete slab?

#3 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

Cheers Zach I paid $900 for the slab.

#4 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Sounds good man who did that for you?

#5 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Coming along well mate, cant wait to see updates along the way!

#6 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

I can't remember his name but I can get his details if you want them Zach, Cheers matty hopefully get some more updates on Thursday

#7 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

nice bro, looking forward to it smile.gif

#8 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yeah send me the details.My sheds gonna be a custom 4.7Lx3.5Wx2.7H.

#9 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Nice can't wait to see some progress photo's as well I will send them to you when I get home.

#10 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

So a bit of an update

Had all the electrical finished up on Thursday afternoon and completed all the insulation finally today. The difference is already very noticeable and with it all taped up it looks good

Changed the doors from sliding to hinge to make it easier to insulate

Lesson learnt today

Always try and get help with taping the joints because it is an absolute pain to do it yourself
Waterproof inside and out to keep it water tight

So tomorrow morning I am running the PVC around the shed for the air and hopefully start getting a few tanks in smile.gif But right now it's beer o clock cheers.gif

any feedback or ideas are welcome again smile.gif

#11 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Looking good bro that should work very well smile.gif.Got a quote from that guy who does the concrete he gave me a very reasonable price so I'm getting it done on the 5th.Thanks heaps for that mate.

#12 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Looking the goods man. What size PVC you using and have you thought of using poly instead ?

#13 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

cheers mate smile.gif cool mate yeah he is good on his prices and he does a really nice job with a good finish. You're not far from me so if you ever want to come and have a look your more than welcome just PM me.

#14 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Cool man thx for the offer if your after any fish il help u out aswell smile.gif

#15 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

sweet thanks mate

#16 al4n

al4n
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Looks good mate, can't wait to do my setup one day lol

#17 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi bowdy going 25mm PVC did think about using poly but don't really like to look of it.

#18 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

And your going to attack the airline straight to the PVC or have poly segments for that.
Is there a reason you went with 25 not 20 PVC ?

#19 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yeah I used the threaded 4mm barbs for irrigation it works well. You know what I went back and forth between the 2 sizes for about a week and ended up going bigger just in case.

#20 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

That is looking amazing bro!! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users