Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Leevers's Content

There have been 47 items by Leevers (Search limited from 12-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#123431 Planted Tank

Posted by Leevers on 28 March 2009 - 12:26 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

http://aquariumlife.com.au/forum.php

You'll find plenty of Australian planted tanks on this site

#105161 My Last Tank In Iran

Posted by Leevers on 01 October 2008 - 10:42 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Nice images!

#104727 Stage 1 Of New Tank

Posted by Leevers on 26 September 2008 - 11:42 PM in Technical & Equipment

Best bacteria is used filter wool of which most LFS will provide you if requested.

Well done mate! looking good

#103480 Trip To Hong Kong

Posted by Leevers on 13 September 2008 - 10:25 AM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

QUOTE (sickcichlids @ Sep 13 2008, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to the aquarium street,but not the Hong Kong aquariums.Is that like AQUA over here?

Nothing like AQUA over here. AQUA has nothing on their aquariums. Do a google search for images. I think you'll be shocked at the shear size of malaysian and surrounding asian countries aquariums

#103428 Trip To Hong Kong

Posted by Leevers on 12 September 2008 - 08:45 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

QUOTE (RedDevil @ Sep 10 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be careful mate, you have some photos of hybrid cichlids there which may be censored
Other fish look great, are they Paretroplus with the frontosa?

They won't be removed RedDevil. Their not his fish nor is he advertising the sale of fish. He went to Hong Kong, and if anything this should give everyone at PCS an idea of how fish are treated overseas. Plenty of hybrid images have gone around. It's a disgusting act as we all know, but it's a cultural thing. It's what they do over there and they don't know any better as we do here.

Some nice images there sickcichlids. Did you managed to check out the Hong Kong aquariums? Their fantastic!! I think a few PCS members have some images floating around somewhere if you wanted to check them out

#102579 Tropheus Chaitika's.

Posted by Leevers on 04 September 2008 - 07:44 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Col, I would have to day that these are the most beautiful Cichlids I have seen. There are plenty of other colourful fish, but I've never seen this before and I'm extremely impressed by them.

Hope they provide you with plenty of joy!

#100822 My New Tank

Posted by Leevers on 17 August 2008 - 11:48 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

mmm lovely! i could create a lovely levelled planted scape in that tank biggrin.gif:D:D

#100732 Shrimp And Native Erics

Posted by Leevers on 17 August 2008 - 02:19 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

QUOTE (Noddy65 @ Aug 17 2008, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys
Yep...thats the little tank I took with me.
Theres a few people in Perth with Cherry and CRS now...so they should be available. The Cherries are easy to breed.
The natives are available from Aquagreen in Darwin, he does ship interstate. He has a great selection of native fish too. Unfortunatley you will just have to drool over his plants as he wont send them to WA.
I think that you can legally import shrimp now. Both those species are commonly available over east. The Cherry Shrimp in my picture I picked up for only $4 each (but I did have to buy a few of them). All of the smaller ones are babies.

Mike

Mike when you say you think can be legally imported, is this the common CRS and Cherry? or are the blue and yellow species of shrimp also available for import?

#100730 Imported Tanks

Posted by Leevers on 17 August 2008 - 01:46 PM in Technical & Equipment

Chinese glass is to the same quality as what we get here. They just produce and sell for a lower cost. All that glass pool fencing you see in peppy grove etc... you think thats australian made? all chinese made. I think you'll find that half the glass that LFS use for making their tanks is bought from a wholesaler of which buys direct from china.

I've heard in the past of odd shaped tanks such as the bow front tanks splitting due to the amount of pressure placed on at particular spot. These tanks will never be assured to last when in sizs of 4-6 foot quite simply because of the mass of water and the inability to provide extra support to that bow front glass. I had a bow front tank and i was lucky enough not to have any issues, but with that said. My tank wasn't 2 foot wide or anything silly like that. I hope all goes well with the tank, but also hope that you understand that this was an unpredicted accident and there was nothing any LFS could of done to stop it. these things happen to the strongest of tanks.

#100729 Something for the dwarf enthusiasts

Posted by Leevers on 17 August 2008 - 01:40 PM in Articles

this is fantasitc idea! this thread has been up for quite some time, but never have i had a read. Perfect in my opinion for creating that natural amazon look to your fish tank....obviously not for display purposes tongue.gif

#100721 4ft Malawi Display

Posted by Leevers on 17 August 2008 - 01:13 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

i see we have another peacock fan! goto love em!!! nice photos Jezza

#100720 Shrimp And Native Erics

Posted by Leevers on 17 August 2008 - 01:11 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Nice shrimp Mike!

I'm looking at setting up a nano tank as i've never attempted it before, and was just curious where to locate shrimp species? their difficult to find in any LFS, but was just curious whether there would be a local supplier or such?

#100673 Kribs

Posted by Leevers on 16 August 2008 - 11:54 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Thanks for the bit of information Tony. I didn't know that myself but may assist in the future biggrin.gif:D

#100561 Wc Tropheus Chilambo --> Journal

Posted by Leevers on 15 August 2008 - 11:54 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Absolutely Beautiful fish! if i had the room this current time, I'd definetly look into a colony in a 6 footer. good luck mate! keep the updates coming in the near future..

hint wink.gif (if you have any F1 you wish to offload in the near future *stretch* don't hesitate to contact me)

#100375 Kribs

Posted by Leevers on 13 August 2008 - 08:36 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

to be honest i think i have seen fish that look similar to these and only fairly recently at a fish shop called Avid Aquaria. Can't comment much on their prices, service, knowledge, but just saw it and browsed through and noticed a few kribs in a tank (females) that stood out. looked like a strange species of which i hadn't seen before. Might be worth a call to confirm as to whether they are what your looking for? i can't be so sure myself

#100341 Kribs

Posted by Leevers on 13 August 2008 - 06:14 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

QUOTE (krissytool @ Aug 13 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it took one person 3 attempts! huh.gif
Its been a very long day and it's not even 1pm yet!

Hope you enjoy them, they are a beautiful fish (and easy to breed too)

hahahaha easy to breed?!?!?!

if i could give mine a contraceptive then i would! rabbits don't have this much fun

#100255 Water Onion Plant, Crinum Thaianum.

Posted by Leevers on 12 August 2008 - 07:40 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Sorry for the late reply Col. Prior to selling my planted tank setup, i had one of these(could of been another family, but as i do not know exactly what i had other than visable similarities to yours, i cannot confirm species) growing rather rapidly under HO-T5 with c02 injection. I used fine river sand as a substrate and with everything growing i used no form of fertilisation Many will dismiss my method of fertilisation, but have had incredible success with many species of plants. I don't gravel vac planted tanks, and the fish poo breaks down within the sand providing more than substantial fertilisation. It's just a method i use, and others obviously use their own.
my 2 cents and a 1/4

#100252 Kribs

Posted by Leevers on 12 August 2008 - 07:24 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Nice pics Den!

I bought a few kribs from vebas about 6months back, and i ought to take some photo's, because they have incredible colouration.
Great characters IMO but have found mine to be quite agressive when attempting to spawn

(i'll get pics up once my insurance pays out after certain peoples decided to break in and leave me with almost nothing)

#96489 Gaming : New Games And Ps3

Posted by Leevers on 06 July 2008 - 07:06 PM in Off The Wall

Den, have you tried Battlefield 2142? takes alot of skill, and although the game is based a few years into the future. Killing an opponant isn't always an easy task. The games ranking, and weapon unlock system is far better than BF2 and is alot more difficult to gain ranks as you progress into the game. I've played COD4, and to be honest......I find it to be a waste of time in comparison to BF2142.
It's an online only game though with a single player and bot feature once you've logged in. It's free to play online also.

Be warned though. Graphic and sound cards would want to be up to scratch as it has a fair bit of demand.

#96420 First Wild Caughts.

Posted by Leevers on 06 July 2008 - 10:11 AM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Hey Col, good luck with the troph! they look great

#92011 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 22 May 2008 - 01:20 PM in Off The Wall

Well i finished my Advanced over the weekend which included a night dive last night. What a fantastic time i've had. Managed to spot 2 lion fish out at rotto on sunday at about 26m down which was great to see, and last night spotted a turtle under a ledge of which would of been atleast 3 foot wide with a head the size of your average person. I'd come close to say that night diving is far more enjoyable than diving during the day. so much more comes out at night. about 33 of us went out last night of which provided the lighting of subiaco oval under water haha i think i even spotted ben cousin sniffing a line in a cave tongue.gif

Well worth the money and time

#91743 Photography Lighting

Posted by Leevers on 18 May 2008 - 07:41 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Col, there is another way around this, but the cost might increase a little.
You can purchase a HID transformer and use HID halogen globes of which outputs the same colour spectrum as a metal hallide. Problem is actually getting hold of one of these and where to locate one. I haven't seen one for quite some time now, but this system is used in scuba diving torch lighting, and you may be able to put together some information and get hold of a similar unit to help solve your problem.

#91735 Can Anyone Recommend A Broadband/home Phone Provider?

Posted by Leevers on 18 May 2008 - 06:39 PM in Off The Wall

I wouldn't use anyone other than iinet. i have a static-ip and have had 100% uptime for the past 6months

#91215 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 10 May 2008 - 01:02 PM in Off The Wall

QUOTE (slink @ May 7 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well you would hope they have clean filters LOL biggrin.gif

haha stranger things have happened!

#91033 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 07 May 2008 - 05:12 PM in Off The Wall

QUOTE (slink @ May 6 2008, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much is Perth scuba for refills?? I have been in the shop a couple of times they had a great range prices are good as well. Anybody have divemaster?? I would recommend doing this its great fun as well as Advanced. There are alot of great places just the main thing is to get into a PADI course most known around the world (not many anymore which arent PADI) your game Leevers too cold for me this time of year LOL biggrin.gif

haha yeah well all good. perth scuba charge $5 for refills. place on stirling highway charges $2, but to support local business and a great bunch of people, I'll only be refilling at perth scuba. Atleast i know it's quality air and have well maintained filters