Photo

Lunar Wrasse Hibernating?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 darren

darren
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I have a large lunar wrasse in my tank that has been there for several years.
About 3 weeks ago he disappeared with out a trace.
How ever last night i was moving some of the rock work around when i found him. He was alive and hiding in the rocks. He seemed to be sleeping and a bit puffy with his breathing. Once the rocks where replaced he went back in and back to what he was doing before, sleeping.
Do they hibernate? Or is there a problem

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Not sure if they hibernate but they do sleep under the substrate and surround themselves in a thick mucus coat. They do this when spooked too. Are there any other wrasse in the tank or other fish that compete with it? Also check for any injuries.

#3 darren

darren
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Nothing new to tank for ages as he was a bully. I do have a small dragon wrasse that has been in tank for about 5 years and is a lot smaller.
I do have a large koran angelfish that seems to have stepped up to be tank bully with new fish.
I bought some new fish yesterday as i thought the wrasse had died ( med foxface and med sailfin tang)
the koran has been giving the sailfin a hard time. I have rearanged tank and isolated tang in small plastic aquarium inside main tank to see if he settles down. If not will try and catch the koran and isolate outside of tank for a few days to diturb his territory

Edited by darren, 15 June 2013 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users