#1 finding newo

finding newo
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:52 AM

Snails... the pesky cone type.
They invaded my 6footer.

How do I get rid of them...
I've head of Snail Away?
Although you have to take the fish out yeh?

What other ways can you treat tanks and filters that have no water in them and arnt running yet?

Thanks people.

#2 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:17 PM

Yeah these guys area bit of a nightmare..

I havent been 100% successful but i have controlled them with controling feeding, lots of clown and other loaches, and manually picking out every one you see...

Trust me, do this before your whole bed of gravel is all snails...

But I don't like your chances.. sorry...

Even some ppl breaking down the tank have been unsuccessful..

they can lodge in your filter and filter media too....

Try breaking down the tank, throwing away any gravel, leaving any ornaments dry or somehow sterilising them, throwing away all filter media, pretty much start anew... :(

Or tolerate low populations of them like i do... :rollin

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#3 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:23 PM

Hi Mtchye, You have Chilotilapia rhoadesii dont you???? How effective are these guys at eating snails?

#4 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:33 PM

Hi Owen,
Try dropping some pices of zucchini in there and waiting for half hour and removing it again (snails attached). Repeat this for a week or so. You will remove heaps that way without disturbing your tank....but as Vincent said you'll never remove them all. A few are helpful in leaning the gravel IMO anyway.

merjo

#5 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:14 PM

Hey chuck,

Nope, not as effective as clown loaches. The rhoadesii are not active at night when the cone snails come out. Also they are too fat wiht fish food.. :rollin

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#6 finding newo

finding newo
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:46 PM

Yeah thanx guys I will try and work something out! :good

#7 Croona

Croona
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:42 PM

i have the same problem, i'm going to try thin out the numbers, but they are everywhere, under the gravel and in my filters!

#8 jayrock2508

jayrock2508
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 10:20 PM

go the zucchini:good wont get rid of them all,but keeps them under control

Jay

#9 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:19 AM

Forget about 'snail away' or any other chemical, these guys just shut the door on even pool chlorine. How they could survive 10 years in dry gravel has me beat, but they did. I have even totally stripped tanks and boiled the gravel on the BBQ. And after more that 40 years I just put up with the pests. They are drought proof, hammer proof, fish proof and just when you think you have the blighters beat there is a swarm of tiny wee ones that seem to come from nowhere.

I don't know how effective zuchini is as a bait as no snails get a chance against the catfish in my tanks, but Melanoides tuberculata - "Trumpet snails" are actually carnivorous and prefer meat to veg. (They are very effective spawn and fry eaters). Try placing a few cat or dog bickies under a saucer on the gravel at night. If you thought you had a few snails just wait til you see how many of the darn things are under that saucer in the morning.

Alan

-------------
When life gives you lemons ask for a bottle of tequila & salt

Edited by: Alan Caboolture at: 2/28/04 8:20 pm

#10 Croona

Croona
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:36 AM

Will do, my dogs wont be impressed but i'm sure i will biggrin.gif lol

if its impressive i'll take a picture, i may write an article on trying to get rid of them, because i've tried so many methods. it seems everyone is looking for a new way to kill the bastards

#11 Just2Nasty

Just2Nasty
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2004 - 03:11 AM

I had snails and eggs of various varieties in my planted tank, come in with the plants. I asked a local LFS and he said to get some Thomasi / African Butterfly cichlids, I've now only got i male and always buying plants and now have no snails at all. He is an african river fish, so don't know how he likes the high PH??

Ask around and see what people say.

#12 akroyd

akroyd
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:24 AM

When I was 15 years old, they recommended cone snails to aerate the substrate. When I was 16, I shut down the tank and put the gravel in a box. When I was 30, I put the gravel in a tank, filled with water straight from the tap, and left it for a week. Believe it or not, the cone snails came back!!!

#13 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

just use clown loaches they love em i have 20 in one of my tanks which used to have snails in but i havent seen any in there for ages

#14 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

Twist ?

Did you check the date of the post 8O 8O

Cheers biggrin.gif
Craig

#15 elliott

elliott
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

yea clown loaches should do the trick but i doubt they will get rid of them completely if they have already taken over your filters, gravel, ornaments etc but the loaches will keep them on the down low so you wont notice them anyway.

#16 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

I hope he has worked it out by now! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#17 SlinkyDink

SlinkyDink
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

I had a snail problem ages ago, what I did was to removed all fish from tank, 3/4 of the water, then fill the tank up with boiling hot water to kill the snails,literally clean the tank,then put water and fish back in, havent had problem with snails since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users