Photo

Nitrates High

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shane78

shane78
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hey guys as the title says I have a high nitrate problem, which isnt surprising as I only have a 30l nano

what my question is do I need the filter media in the back chambers of the tank, Im starting to think

that maybe they could be harvesting nitrate and just putting it back in as I take it out, I have 3 kg of live

rock in the tank and a powerhead.

#2 oceanarium

oceanarium
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

With a small tank you can knock down the nitrates pretty fast with some big % water changes. 

As to completely removing the media from the filter, it would depend on fish stocking levels. 3kg of live rocks might struggle to keep up with conversion of ammonia & nitrites if done quickly. If the nitrates are building quickly ? is there is any media like sponge or matting ? I would remove that first and see how it goes for a while. 

Then if the nitrates continue perhaps slowly remove the media and replace with some small bits of live rock rubble.

#3 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Shane, I think your tank is still trying to get into its cycle rythm.

Don't do anything drastic as with these small tanks any minor change can exponentially go out of control and you don't want to kill off an entire 1 months cycle of bacteria.

What I have done was I took some water from before and after my latest WC down to the local shop and got it tested to see what the difference was.

I found that my 1 week old water was at 0.025ppm and the new was obviously at 0.000ppm. It helped give me a base to how fast/slow my bacteria is.

I also did it with my PH, KH, Calcium content, salinity, etc...

Also have you bought a Clean-up Crew? I bought 3 snails and a small-spined sea urchin, which are fantastic as they are cleaning the glass and rocks.

I think they eat all the excess food on the bottom of the tank, which would help remove the nitrates (I assume)

#4 shane78

shane78
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

I have a snail dont know what type and bout 5 little glass shrimp I have to check the water when I get home it could be that I have been collecting my own water which may have nitrates in it didnt bother to check just thought it will be fine will check tonight and let yas know

#5 oceanarium

oceanarium
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

That is a very low stocking, what is the nitrate testing at and what else do you keep that the nitrates might effect ?

#6 shane78

shane78
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

ok I have a snail, shrimp and a blue green chromus and 2 corallimorph as the parameters I will put them up when I get home.

#7 shane78

shane78
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

ok so I tested my water first I want to say that the water I put in is nitrate free so no probs there but my parameters are

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

and nitrate bout - 40ppm

could I be over feeding.

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

You could be, cut your feeding in half for a while and see what happens.

Was the reading you got before or after a w/c, If it was before a w/c when was the previous water change? So what im asking is, how long does the tank take to get to 40ppm?

#9 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

You could be, cut your feeding in half for a while and see what happens.

Was the reading you got before or after a w/c, If it was before a w/c when was the previous water change? So what im asking is, how long does the tank take to get to 40ppm?

This is what I was inferring with my comment too. Find out how long it takes to get too 40ppm, it will be a good base to know how fast/slow the tank is and also to know how regular with maintenance you need to be.

Glad you have a clean up crew. Tank parameters look good except for the nitrate one. Keep up the good work!

#10 shane78

shane78
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

my nitrate were still high after wc I may have to do another to get them down and then see how long it takes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users