Photo

Texan X Jaguar Babies

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hey guys, one of my tanks has one Texan and two jaguar cichlids in it and I only just noticed my Texan was very oddly coloured. He's normally a very bright lovely blue and he's quite dark atm, he's angry colours so I had a closer look and he was actually trying to attack me through the glass which isn't normal at all for him as he is very placid. I've known for a while that him and one particular jag seemed to have a thing for each other and yep I guess I was right, he's now a proud daddy of a lot of eggs. Now my problem what should I do, wait and see what happens or remove them. The female jag was supposed to pair up with the male jag not my Texan and I'm not sure on mix breeding. They seem happy apart from the other jag whom is always hiding in his cave

#2 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

Remove all three fish and dump a bunch of hungry pure bred fish in to clean up

#3 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Only fish I have that eats live food is the mother rest are all my Africans :/ I mean their only eggs atm so what if I just take the rock out with the eggs on it

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

Africans will eat eggs. Anything that fits in their mouth is gone. As long as you don't sell them, I don't see the big deal. You know what they are, and if any survive give them to someone to use as live food. It's when people sell hybrid fish that causes the dramas

#5 Tomas01

Tomas01
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

Come on guys realy is that the attitude kill them off get rid of them ...... I can respect pure breeds but have look around we cross breed dogs,cats, sheep,cows and we also cross breed humans at the end of the day let nature play its course
If they end up being good looking fish so what if there x breeds
I do agree with not selling find them a home and be honest what they are
To all u anti hybrid mob get over your selfs

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

Have a read of what the PCS stands for
"The aims of the Society are:
1. to promote the conservation of the neotropical family
Cichlidae world-wide
2. to undertake responsible husbanding of the species within
Australia
3. to educate our members and the general public through
fellowship and friendly sharing of knowledge at Society General Meetings, Open Days and Special Promotions."
(Taken from this thread: http://www.perthcich...howtopic=18485)

1. Hybrids don't preserve conservation
2. Hybrids don't demonstrate responsible husbandry
3. Hybrids are good as feeder fish, just don't try and sell them off as "pretty fish"

No one is having a go here, so please don't get upset. Hybrids aren't what the PCS is all about. If flower horns are your thing, then there are other forums for that kind of thing :)

#7 Gav79

Gav79
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

I agree 100% with Jas. I went to buy a bunch of L333s (photo they used to sell was from google) but on arrival was told "well maybe they are L066s... I'm not sure?", looked at their set up to find adult L066s and L333s breeding together creating hybrids and passing them off as something their not.

Its not something owners always expect to happen but when it does and you make me drive and hour out of my way it becomes an issue.

Smear them on some nice unsalted crackers and enjoy high society for a moment or two... 

Or maybe give them to big johnnos catty??  :Rofl_3f:

#8 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

YAY HYBRIDS!

#9 Tomas01

Tomas01
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

Gav79 that's totaly messed up I to would be so cheesed off if I drove an hour to find out it's not was advertised
To the people who do that
Shame shame shame

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

Come on guys realy is that the attitude kill them off get rid of them ...... I can respect pure breeds but have look around we cross breed dogs,cats, sheep,cows and we also cross breed humans at the end of the day let nature play its course
If they end up being good looking fish so what if there x breeds
I do agree with not selling find them a home and be honest what they are
To all u anti hybrid mob get over your selfs

This post is gold!

What species have humans been hybridised with?

I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of Biology class in high-school?

#11 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

In the event a hybrid is sold. And and then someone else buys it and the person dosnt say its a hybrid. And it carries most of the charcteristics of one of the parents.... Then they sell it again to someone that is looking to breed.

You as a breeder of hybrids can not guarantee where that fish ends up, or what knowledge the future owner/breeder has, and then they sell 73 fry to the store. Might look the goods. But it's not especially when they grow out.

#12 Tomas01

Tomas01
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

Peckoltia let me exsplain as it seems you don't get it
Example main land Australian male meets a lovely Tasmanian female one night they kanoodle with each other and they have a baby this would be a hybrid both humans but but slightly different genetic make up still a hybrid...... Be the same as let's say fish to different breeds of peacocks mate and make some baby fish yes hybrids but still peacocks
peckoltia have a look back three your heritage I'm sure you'll find you to will be a "hybrid"
Sorry to all Tasmanians that may be offended no punt taken :)

Edited by Tomas01, 15 July 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#13 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

Is this guy fo real?

#14 Tomas01

Tomas01
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

Let's think of how all these different types of cichlids came to be here on earth in our lakes and rivers
I'm sure evolution played a big part including cross breeding in the wild is how we all enjoy these lovely fish today as a result from hybrid fish
Peckoltia realy...... Do u think they just magically appeared all our cichlids and all breeds of animals are a result from hybrid breeding

Edited by Tomas01, 15 July 2015 - 05:03 PM.

#15 Tomas01

Tomas01
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Androo I totaly agree with you selling somthing that isn't realy what it's ment to be is low act and I can understand the need for pure genes if it's not a pure breed then we must be honest dog breeders and cat breeders can manage it why can't the fish trade certified breeders is a way to do it
stamp out the back yard jobs who don't give a dam what they sell

Edited by Tomas01, 15 July 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#16 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

Example main land Australian male meets a lovely Tasmanian female one night they kanoodle with each other and they have a baby this would be a hybrid both humans but but slightly different genetic make up still a hybrid...... Be the same as let's say fish to different breeds of peacocks mate and make some baby fish yes hybrids but still peacocks
peckoltia have a look back three your heritage I'm sure you'll find you to will be a "hybrid"

We dont kanoodle with outsiders!
Us Taswegians are line bred for the best quality!
No crossbred hybrid shit for us!
Hahahah

#17 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hey Tomas

I think you're confusing Hybrid speciation (two different species crossing) versus things like line-breeding - https://en.wikipedia...ybrid_(biology)

Here's a fish related article on hybrids that's worth a read (fairly old but the majority of it still applies and it touches on the dog topic too) - http://www.perthcich...?showtopic=5615

It's each to their own - people can keep what they like (hybrid or not).  We have to be reminded of the fundamentals of the club and maintaining species is one of them.

Oh and ignore the people taking the piss.  They have a weird sense of humour ;)

Daz

#18 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

This post has made my day. Thank you

#19 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Oh and ignore the people taking the piss.  They have a weird sense of humour ;)

Daz

You having a crack bout my Taswegieness, hahah

#20 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

:Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:

Awesome post mate. Never seen someone talking so left handed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users