Tanganyika Rock Dweller

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:32 PM

There's always Julie's around. I had about 15 regani Zambia gold about 5 years back. They weren't overly expensive either

#22 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:37 PM

Extend. Yeah I would probably say a colony of 4 or 5 julies would suit rocks like the photo.  when buying I would always get 3 big fish and 2 small which 90% of time resulted in a pair forming.  The other thing about Julies is they don't have a very big mouth.  

Lex. So do they pair off? Will I have to remove the rest after a pair is formed?

Lex. Can they be sexed quite early in life. 5cm ish?

Extend. I would say the likely hood of it working out is 90% as the tank I had them in was 4.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 with a 5 Julies and 9 cyprichromis and yes the jumbo variant fry will be bigger when the female spits them.  

Lex. Will they both breed in harmony, are the Julie's cannibalistic?

Lex. Is it any certain type of Julie?

Extend. Stacking the rock works better as the julies will have more places to spawn and to keep to them selves.

At the right hand side if i get rocks and stick them together something like this and put them behind the rock work on the right attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444498685.819363.jpg

or something like that, would that be better?

Just need to get everything straight!

One who throws dirt is loosing ground ~Confucius

Extend please answer this questions if possible!

One who throws dirt is loosing ground ~Confucius

#23 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hey Lex

First, I would get 5 or 6 fish, 3 small and 2 large or 4 small and 2 large. Reason being is that the are hard to sex even when adults and the males will grow bigger than the females.  So 5 or 6 will pretty much guarantee your at least getting a pair.

Second, Julies are not cannibalistic, in fact the first generation of fry will help look after the next generation. Also Julies have a small mouth so don't tend to target fry the size of cyprichromis.

the only thing you need to watch is the julies defending their spawning rock but most fish like cyprichromis get the message pretty quickly.

Third, that rock looks better but go for something like limestone to keep the pH up.

Thanks

Joel

#24 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:38 PM

well I'm not looking to spend too much on the julies (because it's my dads money) haha.

But what julie would work in the tank that maybe you guys haven't seen in a while but still is not too expensive. (are julies allowable imports?)

Yes I know I might be difficult, but I want to help this hobby as much as I can!

#25 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

Julidochromis regani or marleri are my favorite. They range from $15-30ea you could also try Julidochromis dickfeildi but I like the cool black and white patterning of the other two. Do a Google search of the 3 I mentioned and see what you think.

#26 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

To be honest I hate the regani and maleri, the dickfeldi look better a lot lighter!

But sorry I have been wasting you're time, I'm 14 and very busy with sport (international u18's water polo, club water polo and school water polo plus homework)

So I think that i will just get 15+ Cyprichromis Livua 'Jumbo' so they can breed in peace and I can let them manage themselves by caring for the fry, then once they reach a certain size net them trade them into shops, sell them on here!

Really sorry for wasting you're time, but at least I know a little more about cichlids it all adds up, especially when I want to be a freshwater icthyologist and study african cichlids!

#27 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:28 PM

All good mate. Happy to share some tips even if they aren't used until further down the track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users