Fish Postage

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Not sure where I should of posted this topic so came here haha

Could someone please explain to me how the whole getting fish from another state work ? I have been told the basics of what happens but I want a description of how it all goes on the Perth side of thing. Basicly what I want to know is what happens when Perth airport receives my fish and what goes down like do they call you straight away, how long until I can get my fish, how long do they stay in quarantine for and what do I do when I get to Perth airport, do I need to bring anything etc.

Any info would be much appreciated as I want to know what to do when I get my fish

Cheers, Tom

#2 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Interesting question.

I'd like to see this thread stickied!

#3 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

They are put through quarintine before they arive in W.a you should be able to pick them up straight away or with in the hour. The last Aquatic Animal i had shiped was a Marine Shark, she arrived in the middle of the night and had already been checked in queensland. Picked her up first thing.

#4 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

It's very easy done it few times now.
All livestock get checked at quarintine in Perth.
Who ever ships the fish weather it's private or a shop needs to let you know which company they are shipping with , the consignment number and when the flight arrives. The morning there being shipped you need to call quarintine and let then know the consignment number when there arriving and from who so they can book the inspection. Usually the fish are good to be picked up about an hour after they arrive. Just make sure they arrive within quarintine business hours or you could be hit with other costs.
Cheers

#5 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thanks guys very helpful. Do you know how much the cost will be if arrived after hours Bowdy ? If its ridicolous I was thinking of maybe slinging the seller of the fish some extra bucks to try post them on a better timed flight. Also how long can fish last in the styrofoam conatiners ? I guess itd really depend on how big the fish are and size of the container ?

#6 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

The last time I got fish over I got them from an online store which I won't name due to the fact there service was appalling. I arranged for them to be shipped on Wednesday morning as I was away. They decided to put them on a plane at 3pm Monday night and I wasn't able to pick them up instill 4.30pm Tuesday . So would have been bagged for 28 odd hours in the middle of winter. Only lost 2 out of 30 odd fish. which I thought was pretty good considering.
Most good private sellers will put them on the first flight in the morning so you pick them up bout lunch. Which is perfect.

#7 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

I dont really want to mention who and what I plan on getting these fish from incase he is gets offended (you never know) cos Im abit skeptical of the whole fish postage thing cos from what I hear it goes 50/50. He isnt from over east, most I will say is he is from Tasmania and what my old boy tells me he's pretty sure theres no direct flight from Tasmania to Perth (correct me if Im wrong, fingers crossed there is a direct flight) so these fish would be going on 2 flights and god knows how long they will be in a container for between flights cos Im not sure if the seller can find out about the second flight details.

Basicly what Im trying to say is Im worried about how long these fish are going to be in a container for cos they will be flying to somewhere over east, getting quaratined there and who knows until they get flown over to Perth. But if I know they can be in a container for around 24 hours Im sure it could be fine, just dont wanna spend hundreds on a container of dead fish plus I will be highly devostated haha I keep thinking about these fish every hour of the day and Im getting so excited for these guys which are hard to find in Perth at the moment this size

Edit: Spelling

Edited by FrontyKwal, 20 September 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#8 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Bowdy @ Sep 20 2012, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you need to call quarintine and let then know the consignment number wharn there arriving and from who so they can book the inspection.

Do you have a number to call for this?

#9 domresvanis

domresvanis
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

I ve shipped from Tassie to Perth before with Virgin and fish arrived alive and happy.Fish have to be at Hobart airport 90 min before the flight departs.
Flight departs from Hobart at 5.55 pm and arrives to Melbourne 7.10 pm.
Next flight from Melbourne departs at 8.00 pm and arrives to Perth at 10.15 pm.Next morning when quarantine open you can pick up your fish from the airport.
Sometimes fish go with the next morning flight that departs from Melbourne at 7.00 am and arrives to Perth at 9.15 am and you ll get your fish around 10.00 am.
So your fish will be in the box 17-18 hours depending with which flight they will arrive to Perth the late night or the early morning.
Hope that it helps.

#10 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

The best way is to ship first thing in the morning. Your fish are in bags a lot less time and they arnt sitting in a cold warehouse over night.
When we are talking big $$$$ in fish I feel it's the breeders responsibility to do what's best for the livestock and the buyer which is shipping first thing in the morning.

#11 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

in summer i prefer to do overnight freighting to avoid hot weather...
in winter i prefer to do daytime freighting to avoid the cooler temps at night...

what you'll need from the sender is the flight number of the plane its coming in on... expected arrival time... consignment number can help also.... company that is freighting them... eg AAE...
best to ring quarantine WA as soon as you know this information and book an inspection... they will ask for your name/contact details and size of your shipment and usually ask how many fish and what species also... best to book about 30 min after the plane arrives to allow for unloading baggage/freight...
quarantine process takes only a few minutes.... its done at the freighting companies premises... they basically lift the bag out and look for snails and plants which you better have none in the bag tongue.gif
if you have a snail or plant present you may lose the whole bag... or if they are feeling extremely nice they may remove it from bag and give you a phone call and a quick lecture before clearing your shipment... but its at their discretion... and you cant argue with them or you'll lose future shipments for any tiny discretion...
quarantine is only available mon-fri... from memory i think hours are from 8am-4pm.... from experience i wouldnt go after hours... frowned upon.... and you get a black mark against your name...
and its not their responsibility to ring you when its all done... they may ring you to let you know or they may not... you'll have to chase your fish up

if your fish are bagged/oxygen and packed correctly fish can be good for up to 48 hours... but again depending on size and water/oxygen ratio and if the fish were purged and a drop of stress coat or prime was added to the bag also....

#12 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Cheers heaps guy very helpful info

#13 booze

booze
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

great info. thanks all.

#14 jontan

jontan
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hey guys

October 1st is a public holiday here in WA and QLD. Queen's birthday. If AQIS is out that day is there a surcharge?

Cheers,
Jon

#15 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

i wouldnt freight on a public holiday.... FULLSTOP..... smile.gif

#16 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

+ 1

Freight monday - friday, except public holidays and always make sure you get your fish on the earliest possible flight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users