Filtration

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cichlid Pete

Cichlid Pete
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:25 PM

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to run 2 canister filters off the one inlet and outlet which are in the base of the tank?

Both filters would be FX6's.

Thanks

Peter

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:40 PM

Yes you can do it.

Kind of a waste though... I don't think it would be terribly efficient. Certainly wouldn't be as beneficial as running them separately.  

#3 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

Why not create a sump instead?

#4 Cichlid Pete

Cichlid Pete
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:45 AM

Thanks Guys.

Malawiman85, I would like to run them separate and think that is the better option. The problem's I have is that the tank is full of stock and I don't have another tank, to run them over the rim I would need to move the tank, get my hood and glass modified and I would loose the clean look I am after. The only reason I want another filter is to increase my stock and have a bit of insurance in case the filter fails. I was still thinking of running them separately just through the same bulkheads.

Chopstick Mike, I don't think I can have a sump due to the intake and outlet being in the base of the tank.

#5 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

I'm not that well informed with sump setups but I thought you could go through the bottom with the intake and outlets maybe someone with more info could help out

#6 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

I'm not that well informed with sump setups but I thought you could go through the bottom with the intake and outlets maybe someone with more info could help out

Sure can.

#7 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to run 2 canister filters off the one inlet and outlet which are in the base of the tank?

Both filters would be FX6's.

Thanks

Peter

Yes it can be done, im doing it now as a temporary holding tank but the best option is two Eheim 2260's.

This design of the Eheim makes the filters modular. The FX5/6's are not due to the built in motor.

If you havnt bought your filters yet buy two 2260's. 

You can then run one pump and connect the two filters together. Ive done and it essentially just becomes one large filter. You just need to source a larger pump if the unit that comes with the 2260's isnt providing enough flow. And then you can sell the two universal pumps that came with the filters.

Make sense?

#8 Cichlid Pete

Cichlid Pete
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks kassysimon.

I already have 1 FX6 and was looking at other options.
The option you have suggested comes with a large price tag. I was looking at buying a 2260 a few weeks ago and the deal fell through.
Your suggestion sounds pretty good, but if the motor fails I'm no better off than I am now.

#9 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:55 PM

Output your existing fx6 to a diy pvc canister of bio media and have the fx pushing through this to the return.
Or chemical media etc, depending on the drain/bulkhead size the limitation on gravity fed canister may prevent the fx'is running without issues.

You could conceivably output via a large number of diy cylinders.
I have also seen a series of big blue cartridge filters used so you can run a 50, 20, 5 micron pleated reusable cartridge in a row to polish the water. Another option would be gravity fill a sealed large media canister of diy design and have this feed the fx from the high point.

My 2c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users