New Tank Stand

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 *S*T*A*R*S*

*S*T*A*R*S*
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hey all,

Just a new addition to my fish keeping!!
it will hold six 2' tanks for fry and breeding pairs and the bottom, third, shelf is yet to go on and will hold a 3' sump! almost finished!

Now what do you guys think??

new stand started

new stand started

Bench top

Top screwed down

Second shelf on

second shelf on

its not much but hey, before you hate, appriciate!!
cant do much on a student budget!!

Cheers

Arron

#2 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

Congrats STARS,

looking good, keep the pics coming can't wait to see finished product, with tanks and fish. smile.gif
Think about insulating behind stand with styrofoam or similar, or old sheet of plywood or similar you may have , may not be necessary but looks like that tin backing could play havoc with temperatures, especially for fry. good luck with the project.

cheers
Mudjimba

#3 shortie

shortie
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

inventive but can it hold the weight?
the initial legs are quiet high so would the weigth sway the top levels possibily buckling under pressure?
just a thought
part form that looks good
cheers matt

#4 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

Looking good Arron. biggrin.gif
Makes you appreciate it more when you made it yourself doesn't it.

Regards
Kyle

#5 viid

viid
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:43 PM

also make sure u have enuf space between the surface of the bottom tanks and the floor of the upper tanks. In the first rack i setup i only realised after i trtied to pour substrate in that you really want enough room to get your elbow in tongue.gif... DIY definately makes you appreciate it a bit better and your doing a good job

#6 *S*T*A*R*S*

*S*T*A*R*S*
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:05 PM

hey guys thanks for your comments and concerns.. i will post more pics as it progresses... and yes you are all right... it is much more apreciated when you do it your self.

answering your Q's

yes it will be insulated from behind 3 seets of 10mm pollystirene floor to roof (soz bout spelling)...
there are more supports coming to make sure there is more than sufficent to hold it.
it will also be pinned to the side of the shed to stop any sway. but i doubt there will be any anyway, just another precaution.
there is another floor level shelf yet to come with vertical support beams on both levels front and back to help spread the load one the sump is fitted in...
tanks, plumbing and fish are on the way in the near future!! cant wait....!!!!!!
sufficent room for substrait and and working has also been taken into account and it will hopefully not be a problem wen i come to fitting everything. but its all trial and error, hey guys!!

and there will be more pics up probly this week or early next with a few tanks and hopefully the sump
fingers crossed!!!

Cheers

Arron

#7 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

Looking good Az, Have you thought about the sumps pipes on the tanks though? You will have to cut holes in the board to make them fit.

The stand looks alot better than it did in the pile of junk in my backyard biggrin.gif

Cant wait to see the end product.

Cheers
Aaron

#8 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hey Aaron biggrin.gif

Looks good mate ! Looks like the multiple tank syndrome bug has bitten you biggrin.gif

Keep us posted.

Cheers
Craig

#9 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

Yeah.... it seems like he's been reading Col's fish room thread... tongue.gif

#10 *S*T*A*R*S*

*S*T*A*R*S*
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hahaha yeees i did read that thread and colhas an wasome fish room and so does terry, arron and scat (that ive seen) but Craig yours is more of a fish house coz they are all inside. lol

YES! Craig i deffinately have been bitten a few time by the multiple tank bug. Ouch there it goes again... na i relly like all your guys stuff and thanks fo imputting guys...

Attn: Az (aquatic dreams) did help me out with some of the equipment etc.... thanks a bundle bro!!
anyone else think of anything, ideas concerns?

Cheers

Arron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users